Author Topic: [Semi-private][S2 W6 D4 0230] Jury-rigged [Computer Lab]  (Read 20263 times)

Offline Red Falcon

• Mars RPG Alumnus
  • Eternal Egg
    • View Profile
[Semi-private][S2 W6 D4 0230] Jury-rigged [Computer Lab]
« on: June 20, 2007, 01:57:22 pm »
          If there?s anything that can be held in common between the many civilizations throughout the universe, it could very well be that of superstition! History alone has told us countless times of occurrences that can only be reviewed through speculation, where the only deciding factor between true and false is whether a person chooses to believe, or to disbelieve. In many instances, these are subjects of great importance and call for serious thought, whereas other times . . . not so much.
          These ?other? occasions are in reference to the easily deniable, or the outright absurd. For example: everyone knows that there aren?t any monsters hiding underneath a child?s bed (except when the child considers insects to be such, and there are indeed some to be found)! And everyone knows, that there aren?t really any crocodiles lurking within the sewers (unless, of course, someone recently put some there)! And everyone guy knows, without a shadow of a doubt, that the toilet shall not kick them in the backside if they leave its seat up (but someone else might if they happen to share a residence, so it?s best not to get into that habit)!
          In a somewhat similar fashion to these cases, it should?ve been safe to say that everyone on Mars knew that the academy?s computer lab wasn?t haunted. However, despite what rational thought so clearly dictated, that didn?t stop the emergence of a tale stating otherwise. In it lay rumors of
strange sounds being heard late into certain nights, like those of heavy boots clomping through the classroom corridors, and the grinding sway of loose metal clattering together. This was pretty standard stuff, and would?ve been outright trivial if it weren?t for what could allegedly be seen at sunrise.
          Zombies! Yes, that?s right; the walking dead was that additional bout of preposterous thrown into the mix. Although the particulars on description and purpose may have varied depending on who told the tale, the one part that remained the same was of the apparition shuffling through the halls when morning arrived, fleeing from the faintest hint of light with a groan on its lips and a presumed scowl on its face . . . or, faces. The number of these creatures was yet another ?fact? that conveniently changed from person to person.
          It was sheer nonsense of the purest sort, but on one fateful night (for fate must always have its mitts in such things), the falsehood demanded to be more! The lights around the computer lab, both surrounding and within, had taken an undeserved vacation and gone on the fritz. Even the door to the classroom spoke of defiance as it left itself ajar, granting free passage for a chilling mist to flood out from its confines and dance freely through the halls.
          And in a situation such as this, how else could it be completed but with noises of the undead itself skulking around inside the lab, clattering away upon whatever diabolical devices it planned to unleash upon the unsuspecting inhabitants of the Mars Academy!

Cedric Supel: Cynical Terran human, age 17 - Student programmer.

Offline Shippou-chan

• King of Foxes & NPCs
  • Administrator
  • Postaholic
  • Chatin Suiter #4
    • View Profile
Re: [Semi-private][S2 W6 D4 0230] Jury-rigged [Computer Lab]
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2007, 05:15:06 pm »
Meanwhile, nearby a red vixen in dark clothing snuck through the area.  It wasn't so much that she was up to any mischief in particular, because her goal was a more noble one.

Cedric had mentioned trying to get an old-fashion holoprojector to work, and she wasnted to see what she could do with it.  It was a matter of pride for her.  And so she had ventured out after her roommates were occupied to at least get a look at it.

OOC: This lead-in for Rifa discussed by PM.  If you want to tag along, Zargon, it might be you bumped into Rifa somewhere along her trek, and asked to follow, or perhaps he has his own reasons for roaming.  I'm not too worried about working something out at all.
The Fidael Family - Noiya, Taisha, Rutilus, Rokfriez, and Double-Q
Rifalia Mekiska - Socialite Revolutionary
Leikki Biegle - Painfully Shy Mouse Mechanic
Amala Kanara - Highly Competitive and Mischievous Special Ops Cheetah
Rhiadi Kaelynn - Graduate Level Education Major
Krytus Yami - Intimidating Security Personnel
Jyala Oppa - Cheerful Otter Athlete
Sharib Akhim - Shelved - Proud and Grumpy Ram (but not a bad guy)
Fictional Characters - Such as Ruti might read.

Offline Zargon

• Mars RPG Alumnus
  • Rar..
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2007, 10:25:11 pm »
((righty-ho.. I'll bump, I'll bump  ;) ))

Zargon woke in his room. Oh, my goodness.. I'm FAMISHED!! He thought to himself as his stomach railed against him for not eating enough the evening before.  Well.. it IS an academy.. and there ARE a bunch of 18 to 20 some year olds around here.. there must be SOMETHING to eat.  He got up and dressed to go outside.  On his way out he grabbed a few granola bars in case he was wrong and there wasn't actually anything open.

As he walked down the hall towards the food court, he head a brief scrape like claw on concrete in the direction of the computer labs.  Curious who else would be up at this time of night and also if they would know if anything was open now he turned in that direction.  He padded quietly towards the noise.

Suddenly as he turned a corner, he ran nose to nose with a fox!

"Waugh!!"  Zargon shouted in surprise.
Zargon Snow Tiger/18/Social Science Major, Economics Minor

Is a giant fuzzy animal!  Hug him!

Offline Shippou-chan

• King of Foxes & NPCs
  • Administrator
  • Postaholic
  • Chatin Suiter #4
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2007, 03:55:10 pm »
As she moves along Rifa hears something up ahead.  Peeking around the corner, she sees a snow mounty immediately in front of her and looking her direction.

She gives a little jump, and muffles a cry of surprise when he gives a yell.

"Don't *DO* that!" Rifa admonishes after pausing a moment to catch her breath.  "You gave me a little fright." 

She silently attempts to size up Zargon, trying to determine what she can of why he was there, and what tact to take. 

Not security.  Hmmm.. probably a student out looking for something.  Maybe food, maybe just wandering out of boredom.

"Was.. there anything I could help you with?"

OOC: Almost forgot, she would have her tools with her, seeing as she is planning on fixing or at least troubleshooting equipment.

Offline Red Falcon

• Mars RPG Alumnus
  • Eternal Egg
    • View Profile
Blueberries
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2007, 01:22:00 am »
          There weren?t supposed to be abrupt sounds ripping through the dead of night. It was all well and good during the day when there was a steady flow of people going about their business, but it was an entirely different matter after the sun had set! During this unfamiliar time where silence is thought to reign and darkness lingers in every corner, even the slightest of sounds become suspect to curiosity, concern, or a conglomerate of them both.
          A wild guess could be taken as to which Zargon?s startled cry encouraged. It had speared its way through the empty corridors to echo within the computer labs, and what came in turn to answer this sudden burst of sound was, of all things, a head. It wasn?t just any head, mind you, but an inquisitive head!
          Although one might mistake it as another variety of head by the way it was clad in winterish wear, scarf and all, there were telltale signs that strongly implied it to be of a curious nature. For starters, there was the way it poked out from the lab?s open door, all cocked to one side as if in deep contemplation as to whether or not it should venture forth to investigate.
          Should that feature have been missed, which was certainly possible with the labs lit as poorly as they were, then there was still the second indication to be had! For you see, the emerging cranium actually spoke! (Surprising, but true.) And what it had to say went something along the lines of, ?What in the name of blueberries is going on out there?? but through somewhat . . . fouler, wordplay.

Offline Zargon

• Mars RPG Alumnus
  • Rar..
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2007, 10:44:04 am »
((I think a tense change is appropriate for me..))

Zargon gasps as he catches his breath.

"Scare you??  Scare YOU?"  He asks indignantly.  "What about the heart attack you gave me??"

As if on que, a head stuck itself out of the doorway to the right and yelled something about blueberries!

"Yargh!"  He exclaimed and jumped behind the Vixen.

Offline Shippou-chan

• King of Foxes & NPCs
  • Administrator
  • Postaholic
  • Chatin Suiter #4
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2007, 08:17:00 pm »
Rifa, already on the alert from having been discovered once, spies the human head popping out of the computer.  She is slightly surprised at the timing, but remains composed.

Ignoring the somewhat tense mounty now behind her, she takes a moment to determine the nature of the possibly cranky, somewhat curious person.

"Well, well.  That's a different look Cedric." the vixen replies in response.  "You just gave the mounty behind me his second fright of the night." 

Pausing for a second, she then turns to Zargon and says in a somewhat humorous tone, "It's safe to come out now.  It's not a ghost or anything, just a strange human.  I don't think he's bitten anyone yet, but I could be wrong."

Offline Red Falcon

• Mars RPG Alumnus
  • Eternal Egg
    • View Profile
Chivalry
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2007, 06:24:17 am »
          When he?d leaned out past the safety of the door, Cedric half expected to bare witness to a heinous crime that would explain the fearful wail that he?d heard! And yet, instead of being forced to confront some night dwelling psychopath who?d sadly managed to locate its prey . . . the only signs of life he could spot were that of the late night screamer himself (who was confirmed as such by his second yelp), and the familiar furry face of Rifalia. This was an exceptionally welcome disappointment, as one might imagine.
          The human took it in stride with Rifa?s casual approach to the matter, and in no time at all, he had eased the look of worry and bewilderment upon his face into a pleasant state of neutrality. Perhaps not the most phenomenal of moods to latch onto! But, it happened to be the easiest one for him to manage at this hour, and it helped set the stage for his next questions.
           ?If you don?t mind me asking, Darlin?-? And perhaps even if she did. ?Do you have any idea why your boyfriend?s the one cowering behind you? Now, I?m not saying you should be the one doing that! Oh no, not at all! It?s just that, usually it?s the guy who?s supposed to stand front and center when something spooks?em. You know, to do the whole ?macho? thing by baring the brunt of the danger and stuff . . . or, do Cyantian guys not do that kind of thing??

Offline Shippou-chan

• King of Foxes & NPCs
  • Administrator
  • Postaholic
  • Chatin Suiter #4
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2007, 07:59:36 am »
"I might have to toss 'im back." replies Rifa.  "Usually Cyantians are a hearty and brave.  Truth be told however, I just met him.  Figured I'd give him a trial run.  Out working on your little project ya told me about?"

Rifa gives a small grin with her comments, clearly speaking tongue-in-cheek for the most part.

"Say, boyfriend, if we're going to be dates tonight, I'm gonna need your name." Rifa asks, turning to Zargon.

Rifa's expression is one of light-hearted jest.

I hope he's not tense enough to take me seriously.  Ah well, if he is, I can spell it out.

Offline Zargon

• Mars RPG Alumnus
  • Rar..
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2007, 10:04:02 am »
"Wai.. Boyfr.. No!!  I mean.. uhhh.."  Zargon says, until he realizes that he is digging himself an ever deeper and deeper hole.  He takes a deep breath and starts again.

"Now that, I hope, everybody is done scarin the bejeebus out of a hungry tiger who is only about a quarter awake at this time of morning, I'm Zargon, though some people call me 'Z' for short."  He shrugs, "I don't really mind what you call me as long as it's not 'late for dinner' cause I NEVER am."

He grins and does a mock bow towards the assembled company.  Then proffers his arm to Rifa.  "So, my dear, shall we continue our date?"  He says grinning mischieviously.

"Oh," he says, looking around at the human and fox in turn, "That reminds me.. what, in fact, ARE we all doing up at this ungodly hour?"

Offline Red Falcon

• Mars RPG Alumnus
  • Eternal Egg
    • View Profile
Purpose
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2007, 05:25:30 am »
          Why were they all here? It was a good question, but one that Cedric only had a partial answer to. He could tell them with incredible ease why he was up and around so late at night, and practically did so through but a silent nod when Rifalia asked if his ?little project? was to blame.
           However, what had brought the two Cyantians out on this night became a total mystery to him when their date jokes began, as he?d honestly believed that their reason for appearing together so late at night was for precisely that, a date. Now that he thought otherwise, he wasn?t entirely sure whether to prod the late-night wanderers for further details, or to begin rambling about that which he had tucked away inside the computer lab.
          It wasn't long before the human's desire to discuss shiny machinery made the choice for him, and thus he said with pride, ?Well, I don?t know if it?ll be any interest to you two lovebirds, but this is one of the nights I?ve been using to crossbreed your tech with some of my ingenuity. Sure, I've had to make use of a fire extinguisher on the odd occasion . . . but aside from that, I'd like to think I've done a pretty good job so far!?

Offline Shippou-chan

• King of Foxes & NPCs
  • Administrator
  • Postaholic
  • Chatin Suiter #4
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2007, 09:55:53 am »
"Well, I'm here in my professional capacity.  I have a way with machines ya see, and I wanted to poke around a bit and see what Cedric here had exactly." Rifa replied, not willing yet to admit she wanted to fix it for him.

"So what brings you out here tonight Z?  Looking to hunt some food up?  I'm sure they have a little something in the cafeteria, although I personally prefer the daytime selection.  Much more varied and plentiful."

OOC: Assuming here that the cafeteria is available at all hours, since some species might be more nocturnal, but that primary hours are during the daytime.  Someone correct me if I'm wrong here.

Offline Zargon

• Mars RPG Alumnus
  • Rar..
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2007, 11:51:16 am »
((I would think so.. I mean.. we ARE talking students of teen or just out of teen years here..))

"Well.. I would say that I was here to see all of your smiling faces, but, being as I haven't met either of you.. I think the lie would be found out fairly quickly, so, yeah.. I was looking for some food."  He grinned.  "However, you've piqued my curiousity.. just what is it that you all are working on back there?  Or is it some sort of secret project that you would have to kill me if I saw it?"

"Oh, and my stomach doesn't keep track of what is on the menu at one time or another.. it just tells me it's hungry."  Zargon said in response to the vixen's comment about the nocturnal foodage.

Offline Red Falcon

• Mars RPG Alumnus
  • Eternal Egg
    • View Profile
Clutter
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2007, 06:37:11 am »
          "You two want to see what I'm working on?" Cedric confirmed needlessly, for no sooner had the words passed through his lips then did he take hold of the lab door to force it open all the way. Sufficed to say, the door didn't approve of being made to go anywhere without the assistance of its usual mechanisms. Every other inch that it traveled produced the most delightful of shrieks as the metal grinded together. This was made all the worse by it jamming on several occasions, which caused a great deal of frustration for the Terran trying to coax it along. For an inanimate object, it certainly had some nerve!
          Thankfully, there is only so far that a door need be moved before a person may deem it 'open'! Once this state was reached, it was left to protest in silence while Cedric went in search of less headache inducing tasks, like switching on the pair of lamps he'd placed near the room's center, and cleaning up some of the electronics that were left lying around on the ground. The latter of the two ranked as especially important in his mind, and he made a point of saying such.
          "Watch your step guys! Got expensive stuff all over the place, and most of it I'm only being allowed to use, alright? I'd have a hard time trying to explain why there's a big boot print planted into any of 'em. Oh, except for the pile of hardware I've pitched over by terminal seven. Apparently, they were busted when I bought the suckers, so feel free to waltz all over those buggy pieces of garbage all you want."

________
Edited for:
Typos and the like.

« Last Edit: July 08, 2007, 06:45:34 am by Red Falcon »

Offline Shippou-chan

• King of Foxes & NPCs
  • Administrator
  • Postaholic
  • Chatin Suiter #4
    • View Profile
Stepping in to help
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2007, 10:13:26 am »
Rifalia follows Cedric into the room.

"So where is this device you got ahold of?", turning back to wave Zargon back in.