Author Topic: Gravboard Safety (transfered from old forum)  (Read 1806 times)

Offline Renessa

• The Hiberno-Norse Bard
  • Administrator
  • The Forum Ate My Soul
  • Damnit, Hadvar.
    • View Profile
Gravboard Safety (transfered from old forum)
« on: February 26, 2010, 04:54:42 pm »
Title: Gravboard safety
Post by: Krazykatboy on May 08, 2008, 05:04:59 PM

I just thought of something: Gravboards are extreamly deadly, moreso than a car... What if you were to crash on one? Could it violently explode? What type of safety mechanisums are built-in? Could you get any added on? Can you wear anything to protect you? The wiki shows nothing that I can find, so maybe someone here could answer.
thanks!
Post by: Zephyr on May 08, 2008, 05:45:13 PM

My current character, Zephyr, had his gravborad exploded on him causing his problems but that was mainly from hitting a wall after the thing exploded, after he had tampered with it to increase it's top speed. but yeah they are dangerous. :P

I know there's maglocks to keep you on the board, and the usual safety gear like helmets and other safety pads. But there isn't much mentioned about the safety equipment.
Post by: Frost on May 08, 2008, 05:49:55 PM

I think, cause I don't remember, in my Wolf's profile I had him on a gravboard with a small rocket booster. It didn't go so well.

Oof! Now I'm remembering things I'd forgotten! :-\
Post by: Krazykatboy on May 08, 2008, 05:56:39 PM

Unless you have a Ziek and go 14 mph, helmet and pads won't do you any good!

You know, you could take one of the sheild generators from a lift and install it into the gravboard, or wear it like a backpack... that might dampen any wrecks. 
Post by: Renessa on May 08, 2008, 10:14:15 PM

I would assume that commercially sold grav boards would have a speed limiter on them.  Just like with cars on earth.  Not just anyone can buy/build a stock car, nor an you go driving one around on the street.  And selling a top speed board to someone random on the street would be like handing a 12 year old the keys to a Ferrari with 98 octane in it and telling him the cops won't punish him if he doesn't have the license to drive it.  Not intelligent at all.
Also, what one must remember from the comics and the wiki, is that the mineral composition of Cyantian has highly strengthened the bones of the animals living on it (thus the whole thing on the only way to kill a shivae is to suffocate it, their bones don't break).  So, speeds that might be deadly to a human in a crash might not be so deadly for a Cyantian; and even a Cyantian human.
The other thing is that for full speed grav boards that might be used in sports...  I'm not enitrely sure, but I think in one of the comics where there was a poster of Darius as a player (before he got roped in Headmaster), he was in pretty much a full suit of armor while playing, as were the other competitors.  Have to try and look that comic up though (1, 2, 3, not it!  :-X).
Post by: Krazykatboy on May 09, 2008, 03:00:51 AM

Quote from: Renessa on May 08, 2008, 10:14:15 PM
Also, what one must remember from the comics and the wiki, is that the mineral composition of Cyantian has highly strengthened the bones of the animals living on it (thus the whole thing on the only way to kill a shivae is to suffocate it, their bones don't break).

But a Cyantian's bones do break, it's just more difficult, why else would Jasmine's arm be in a sling? I doubt that a wreck at 40 mph against, say, a wall, wouldn't break, or at least damage, a bone, even with strengthened bones...
Post by: Red Falcon on May 09, 2008, 04:53:12 AM

While the gravboards are capable of tremendous speeds and a few models have a high load capacity, that doesn't mean they have to operate at breakneck speeds, or rather, they don't need to be programmed/designed to maximize their potential.
          That said, they're extremely dangerous and I'm sure there have been horrible, HORRIBLE accidents involving those things. Even if they did/do have means to protect the rider ("Behold! The Super-Cushy Gel Capsule 9000! Better than seatbelts; better than a lift shield generator, it's all you'll ever need to avoid being mangled beyond recognition! ORDER TODAY!!!"), I bet anyone caught in its path would be, eh . . . unhappy to say the least.

;D - "So when students are told, "No hoverboarding in the halls!" there's very good reason."

Perhaps there are limiters placed within the commercial boards that are illegal to remove? And anyone caught SOMEHOW (breaky-breaky!) exceeding those speeds ends up with hell to pay. Another possibility, although this strikes me as downright weird, is that a license might be required for these things! Or it may at least be required if they wish to have the limiter removed/extended.
          Maybe they have specific traffic laws JUST for the hoverboards? I'm having troubles imagining someone speeding down the highway on a hoverboard, but . . . maybe that's how they do things? Unsafe and weird, yes indeed, but who knows?! It could make perfect sense to them.
Post by: KJ Fellie on May 09, 2008, 03:03:27 PM

I find this to be an odd coincidence, because I just wrote a post involving Sheila lecturing her boyfriend about getting hurt because of his gravboard. I haven't posted it, I was saving it for a little later. Anyone remember the red fox from the "Unusual harvest" thread? That's him.
Post by: Renessa on May 09, 2008, 05:03:48 PM

Quote from: Krazykatboy on May 09, 2008, 03:00:51 AM
Quote from: Renessa on May 08, 2008, 10:14:15 PM
Also, what one must remember from the comics and the wiki, is that the mineral composition of Cyantian has highly strengthened the bones of the animals living on it (thus the whole thing on the only way to kill a shivae is to suffocate it, their bones don't break).

But a Cyantian's bones do break, it's just more difficult, why else would Jasmine's arm be in a sling? I doubt that a wreck at 40 mph against, say, a wall, wouldn't break, or at least damage, a bone, even with strengthened bones...

I never said a Cyantian's bones don't break, I said shivae bones don't break.  To which one might reply that Vas's did, but that's because he's young and hasn't absorbed as much as an adult shivae would have.  And it's already been stated that Jasmine has more genetic problems than just being an albino (some of which come with being an albino) so she is an exception.
Trinam "Toast" Orinu/Mounty (Serval-Oncilla mix)/18/2nd year Biomechanical Engineering student
Soida Hopea/Fox (blue)/31/Music Professor
Tejaswi Calumb/Equine/20/2nd year Whitesmith and Art minor
Fejin Majinai/Taboa/19/2nd year Music major, Martial Artist
Sriek Denae/Wolf/28/Professor of Voice Performance, part time Speech Therapist

Forum progenitor of just about everything dark/mature.
devArt