Author Topic: Majors and Species Breakdown  (Read 8241 times)

Offline Zargon

• Mars RPG Alumnus
  • Rar..
    • View Profile
Re: Majors and Species Breakdown
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2008, 06:24:27 pm »
  The benefit that I can see, is, say you want to find out who, exactly is an engineering major (for instance).  Then you could go to this proposed site, and search "engineering" and find out who is an engineering major, and who is playing said character.  Not sure how this would help gameplay though.

(totally not trying to shoot anybody down)
Zargon Snow Tiger/18/Social Science Major, Economics Minor

Is a giant fuzzy animal!  Hug him!

Offline Renessa

• The Hiberno-Norse Bard
  • Administrator
  • The Forum Ate My Soul
  • Damnit, Hadvar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2008, 10:00:49 pm »
Yes, but the point I've been making this whole time is you can go be in the character information section, go up to SEARCH, and search for the words ENGINEERING.  And I haven't even looked at the advanced search option to see what else you can do.  I mean, really, a forum basically IS a database.  Why wouldn't something like this be built in?  A little common sense, please.
Trinam "Toast" Orinu/Mounty (Serval-Oncilla mix)/18/2nd year Biomechanical Engineering student
Soida Hopea/Fox (blue)/31/Music Professor
Tejaswi Calumb/Equine/20/2nd year Whitesmith and Art minor
Fejin Majinai/Taboa/19/2nd year Music major, Martial Artist
Sriek Denae/Wolf/28/Professor of Voice Performance, part time Speech Therapist

Forum progenitor of just about everything dark/mature.
devArt

Offline hariman

• Mars RPG Approved
  • I look forward to it with glee and trepidation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2008, 02:30:53 am »
Yes, but the point I've been making this whole time is you can go be in the character information section, go up to SEARCH, and search for the words ENGINEERING.  And I haven't even looked at the advanced search option to see what else you can do.  I mean, really, a forum basically IS a database.  Why wouldn't something like this be built in?  A little common sense, please.

In the search parameters, you can choose which boards to search in.  The default is "check all", but you can restrict the search to any section of the forum.  This includes each individual section of the forum, so searching for "Engineer" in Character information" should accomplish the same as making a new website.
I'm ashamed of myself. I didn't realize that Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure was a spoof of Doctor Who until 2011!

Offline daemonschile

• Administrator
  • The Forum Ate My Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2008, 01:49:26 pm »
I probably could do it if it's really wanted... but it will take awhile.

Like the others mentioned, the currently active characters that you're likely to run into are in the character info section... or registration for those that didn't copy it over.  Beyond that are the ones in the registration threads before the current system was put into place, found in the archives and linked to in the planning thread.  What's going to be a pain is to track down the profiles from 2 forums back in the NICE files... planning and registration were intermingled, when approved some profiles were moved into their own threads, some were moved to off-forum pages with some pages no longer there...

If there really is a need to be able to track down the profile of, say a mouse engineer who hasn't played in 5 years, I can give it a shot.  Beyond that... using the raw compilation and 'find' (ctrl-f, then next) should be able to scroll to all the mouse characters, or engineer characters, if you want to simplify things and not have many large charts that will need to be updated with every character that passes...
Prenna D'tella/17/Calico/Veterinary Student
Shyssa Wynd/19/Jilaic/Human Studies

Offline KJ Fellie

• Mars RPG Approved
  • The Forum Ate My Soul
  • We have cookies...
    • View Profile
    • Ivy Trellis's SL store!
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2008, 01:58:08 pm »
Seeing all of this, I guess there really is no need for me to try building a database. I hadn't really thought about being able to search specific sections. So I guess there is no real need to do any more work. All that you need to watch for is the appearance of new characters, which can easily be added to the list when they are approved.
Keijai "KJ Fellie", 20, Fox (orange), genetics student, stylist. Dyes fur. APPROVED room 05-S507 The Spotted Fox
Xi Li Kai, 17, Rifier, linguistics student. APPROVED room 04-N440
Carrie Foxx, 16?, caracal mounty, AMIB agent (captured) APPROVED
Yanoi Lacroix, 20, Fennec, Student/scientist (technomage science) APPROVED room 08-S273 @Yanoi_Lacroix
Fur Affinity ~ Weasyl ~ Deviant Art
Also: ShivaeWiki!

Offline Zargon

• Mars RPG Alumnus
  • Rar..
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2008, 05:17:18 pm »

Common sense?  ME??  I think NOT!

Umm.. so, I haven't really tried the search function.  Please pardon me for speaking in ignorance.

*goes and hides in a corner*
Zargon Snow Tiger/18/Social Science Major, Economics Minor

Is a giant fuzzy animal!  Hug him!

Offline KJ Fellie

• Mars RPG Approved
  • The Forum Ate My Soul
  • We have cookies...
    • View Profile
    • Ivy Trellis's SL store!
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2008, 05:35:31 pm »
I think she was referring to me.
And common sense? Never!
Okay, that was fun.
Keijai "KJ Fellie", 20, Fox (orange), genetics student, stylist. Dyes fur. APPROVED room 05-S507 The Spotted Fox
Xi Li Kai, 17, Rifier, linguistics student. APPROVED room 04-N440
Carrie Foxx, 16?, caracal mounty, AMIB agent (captured) APPROVED
Yanoi Lacroix, 20, Fennec, Student/scientist (technomage science) APPROVED room 08-S273 @Yanoi_Lacroix
Fur Affinity ~ Weasyl ~ Deviant Art
Also: ShivaeWiki!