Offline Renessa

• The Hiberno-Norse Bard
  • Administrator
  • The Forum Ate My Soul
  • Damnit, Hadvar.
    • View Profile
Majors
« on: March 20, 2007, 12:53:41 pm »
I know this would probably be a list a mile long if anyone went into any detail, but what are the general majors someone can have at MA?  I've noticed a wide range of things people have taken upon themselves to choose for their characters, but it might help out new people a lot if they knew the general boundaries and didn't go picking something weird that we had to explain probably isn't taught at MA.
Trinam "Toast" Orinu/Mounty (Serval-Oncilla mix)/18/2nd year Biomechanical Engineering student
Soida Hopea/Fox (blue)/31/Music Professor
Tejaswi Calumb/Equine/20/2nd year Whitesmith and Art minor
Fejin Majinai/Taboa/19/2nd year Music major, Martial Artist
Sriek Denae/Wolf/28/Professor of Voice Performance, part time Speech Therapist

Forum progenitor of just about everything dark/mature.
devArt

Offline daemonschile

• Administrator
  • The Forum Ate My Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Majors
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2007, 01:40:51 pm »
Hmm, well it's mostly the same as the majors you'd find in any university course listing, with a few additions.

Plenty of students in the arts... probably doesn't need much explaining on those branches
Several science students... biology, botany, xenobiology... (taking advantage of Earth's proximity to study Earth critters)
Medical, veterinary... (ditto)
Math, Computer Sciences... (though the Cyantian programming language hasn't been specified, it's assumed to be different than Earth's)
Engineering...
Lift Technology... (flying and building)
Terraforming...
Technomagery... (though a restricted class)
Spacecraft Programs... both the flying and the building...
among others....

I think the only one that's been mentioned them not having are military programs... those you stay on Cyantia for.
Prenna D'tella/17/Calico/Veterinary Student
Shyssa Wynd/19/Jilaic/Human Studies

Offline SnowStorm

• Mars RPG Alumnus
    • View Profile
Re: Majors
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2007, 12:27:20 am »
Also, and my personal favorite is Remote-Sensing. The Sensors and techniques used in remote observation. Camera?s in the MA? Nope.

Just as a taste:

Charg-Coupled Device or a CCD its a semiconductor with light sensitive solid state semiconductor, that?s microscopically small, sensitive to photons of light, and they emit an electrical current depending on the intensity of the photon hitting it.
   Imaging Techniques or Staring and Scanning, it?s optical to create an image by collecting light using detectors, mostly good for still like photographs.
   Multispectral Imaging
   Hyperspectral Imaging
   Ultraspectral, Infrared, Ultravilot, Radiometer, Laser Microwave, Lidar, the list goes on and on

Now this is stuff we know, right now, think of what it could be. When science fiction becomes real.
Skunk like osmilinguistic cryogenic enigma. 
Reality should always be in quotes.
Silence must be heard.

Offline Renessa

• The Hiberno-Norse Bard
  • Administrator
  • The Forum Ate My Soul
  • Damnit, Hadvar.
    • View Profile
Rest of the posts from the old forum...
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2010, 04:18:20 pm »
Post by: St Anger on February 03, 2009, 12:07:45 AM

How about an area of study other than a full-time student major? Can a character attend certain specific classes without technically being an official student?
Post by: Renessa on February 03, 2009, 02:35:47 AM

Like an undeclared?  Don't we have some of those around here somewhere?  ???
Certainly makes sense, but then again I think Mars is supposed to be a prestigious academy, kind of like ivy league, and I'm not sure Harvard lets you go undeclared.  Course, if they get all your money, I'm not quite sure they care what major your claiming.  Of course, if it's a part time student who's main function is as some sort of staff at Mars, I could definitely believe and support that.
Post by: St Anger on February 03, 2009, 03:14:32 AM

Eh - not really undeclared. My thought is that David while on Mars will try to fill his time with some or another occupation, not actually attending the academy as a student. However, as he is there and becomes more informed I'm not ruling out an interest in those 'armored suits' (duh, lifts), and maybe a job that requires an in-depth course. So perhaps he can get enrolled for a very narrow set of select class/es without going full-time as a major. Maybe he finds the best way to learn more about Cyantia is to attend CYAN HIST 1000 or something. Or maybe some sort of staff position; we shall see. But I'm thinking if he does any classes at all, it would only be one or two really specific ones.
Post by: Renessa on February 03, 2009, 01:37:30 PM

I'd be curious to know how Bounty ended up as a lift instructor.  Coming from earth, it's not exactly like he'd been flying them since he was a kid, he had to learn somewhere.  And I get the impression that they don't let just any one teach at Mars, so he has to have gotten good enough from someone else's teaching to get there.

I'd like to ask Tiff if it was out of necessity because he was needed to help for some dangerous something, or if the wolves/Akaelaes have specific personal crash course programs for older-than-college human adults that end up in their care due to AMIB stuff.  Can't just have them wandering around in technological and cultural confusion forever.
Post by: HEX the Dark on February 03, 2009, 01:50:02 PM

Quick study and natural talent  ;D
Post by: Draj on February 03, 2009, 02:13:25 PM

Havent you ever sen Robotech? You can learn to fly a fighting robot in minutes, tops!
Post by: hariman on February 04, 2009, 10:09:51 PM

Quote from: Draj on February 03, 2009, 02:13:25 PM
Havent you ever sen Robotech? You can learn to fly a fighting robot in minutes, tops!

That applies to Mobile Suit Gundam and Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann as well.  (Man do I hate using those two titles in the same sentence.  Gurren Lagann is much better than Gundam ever was.)

Gundam is a little silly about it because it's a serious series.  Is it really that user friendly that a teenager who falls into the cockpit can pilot it THAT well?

Gurren Lagann skates on it because (almost) everything works on "Spiral Power" and reality takes a backseat to the Rule of Cool.

But seriously, Bounty probably had at least 5 or 6 years of training before he even got considered as a Lift Piloting Instructor.
Post by: Renessa on February 04, 2009, 10:20:05 PM

Has he been gone from Earth that long?  I didn't think it'd been more than three years, but then again it's been a while since I read that part of CS or looked at Bounty's page.
Post by: Draj on February 04, 2009, 10:32:38 PM

I wonder if Bounty was a fan of those shows? played Battletech, and that one Xbox mech simulator...
Post by: hariman on February 05, 2009, 12:42:04 AM

Quote from: Renessa on February 04, 2009, 10:20:05 PM
Has he been gone from Earth that long?  I didn't think it'd been more than three years, but then again it's been a while since I read that part of CS or looked at Bounty's page.

It's been about 10 years since he saw his wife.  He's probably been off of earth for at least 9 years, if not the whole 10 years since then.

Draj: You must mean Steel Battalion, where you spend a week learning how to start your mech up without making a mistake.  The simulation control panel on that game was absurd to look at! I just wish I could have played it a couple times.
Post by: Draj on February 05, 2009, 01:14:23 AM

So do I. Versus would be so awesome.
Post by: Renessa on February 05, 2009, 09:33:14 AM

Ahhhh, yeah, that would make sense then. :P
Trinam "Toast" Orinu/Mounty (Serval-Oncilla mix)/18/2nd year Biomechanical Engineering student
Soida Hopea/Fox (blue)/31/Music Professor
Tejaswi Calumb/Equine/20/2nd year Whitesmith and Art minor
Fejin Majinai/Taboa/19/2nd year Music major, Martial Artist
Sriek Denae/Wolf/28/Professor of Voice Performance, part time Speech Therapist

Forum progenitor of just about everything dark/mature.
devArt