Author Topic: Original explanation for the Cil hybrids' powers  (Read 1931 times)

Offline Eboreg

• Dumbass
    • View Profile
Original explanation for the Cil hybrids' powers
« on: March 17, 2015, 04:54:26 am »
I remember reading somewhere that the Cil hybrids get around the laws of conservation of mass and energy by transmuting the air around them into body mass. However, I do find this a little humorous since there are only trace amounts of carbon in the air and they would have to get the carbon in their body mass through nuclear fusion. Think about it, biological nuclear fusion and it's being used to turn into a forest critter. Of course, this could be what Darius meant by saying that the Cil could do a lot.
"Combat is the crack cocaine of all excitement highs-with crack cocaine costs."
-Karl Marlantes, Vietnam veteran

Offline Eboreg

• Dumbass
    • View Profile
Re: Original explanation for the Cil hybrids' powers
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2015, 08:09:25 pm »
Um ... okay. Something is up here because I hear some crickets and I know this kind of thing would have me crucified by the catgirl fans.

Offline daemonschile

• Administrator
  • The Forum Ate My Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2015, 06:11:43 pm »
Little bunny Foo Foo hopping through the forest, scooping up the field mice and bopping 'em on the head. KABOOM!  ;D

Ok, ok, was giving it some thought.  As I recall back when that was mentioned that was the general idea being given for anything that had a massive size/mass change, like werewolves and the Hulk.  Of course since then, people have tried calculating just how much energy would be sucked/emitted in the process and found it to be a bit extreme... so they suggest those get them through interdimensional links now.

That could work here. 

The Cil are supposed to be aliens that can draw the energy from the air around them, manipulate atoms in the air around them to create objects, can manipulate themselves, but seem unable to convert solid material to energy directly... and are from an environment that is completely at odds with the main species in the comic.   To me that suggests maybe they developed on a gas giant where non-solid material and energy in the atmosphere are significantly higher... and severely limits their abilities in a relatively low density atmosphere.

So yeah... still going with biological nuclear fusion... and the hybrids inherited some of it.  After all, the Cil can do a lot, and they think it's a bad idea letting the hybrids run around unsupervised.

I'm thinking as such, there's probably a limit to how much energy they can draw at one point, but they don't use their abilities all the time, so they could gradually be absorbing energy and storing it in special glands that work like batteries... or pull a Parasite Eve with alien mitochondria that can generate an immense energy pulse to start the fusion and chain the energy after that...

And then there's pocket dimensions.  We've seen them in use... what if the hybrids at some point each subconsciously created one?   It wouldn't take one all that big to store the extra matter sheared off going from the largest form to the smallest, and with all the matter sitting within easy reach, the almost instantaneous switch back and forth would be possible, and probably easier for them on Earth with it than for the Cil who might not have a matter storage (if used to a matter-filled atmosphere) and have to accumulate matter first.
Prenna D'tella/17/Calico/Veterinary Student
Shyssa Wynd/19/Jilaic/Human Studies

Offline hariman

• Mars RPG Approved
  • I look forward to it with glee and trepidation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2015, 10:18:26 pm »
*Stops making cricket noises when Daemonschile arrives.*

That's kind of the point, regardless of the origin/explanation of the Cil Hybrid powers.

All the Cil Hybrids are basically biological technomages, with somewhat different restrictions and uses of their abilities. With a potential synergy between their abilities and technomage abilities.

AKA: They're Tykebombs who have LOTS of power, and no, the Cil AND the Cyantians/Akaelaes DON'T want them running around without training, among other things.

Also: 44. It's not random, but it's a number.

*Goes back to naming cricket noises.*
I'm ashamed of myself. I didn't realize that Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure was a spoof of Doctor Who until 2011!

Offline Eboreg

• Dumbass
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2015, 11:08:12 am »
Just did some research and found out that I fail at chemistry. The most common elements in the Earth's atmosphere are Nitrogen and Oxygen, both of which are slightly higher on the elemental table than Carbon so nuclear fission would have to be utilized, not fusion.

Of course, the common layman wouldn't see the difference between the two other than "really big boom" and "really really big boom".  ;)

Offline daemonschile

• Administrator
  • The Forum Ate My Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2015, 05:12:45 pm »
Actually a little bit of both fission and fusion are needed... not going to get too far without iron in the blood, calcium in the bones, and other trace minerals as well.  ;)
Prenna D'tella/17/Calico/Veterinary Student
Shyssa Wynd/19/Jilaic/Human Studies