Author Topic: Siracs: Breathing while phasing  (Read 1993 times)

Offline Eboreg

• Dumbass
    • View Profile
Siracs: Breathing while phasing
« on: March 06, 2015, 09:18:48 pm »
I recently thought of some interesting questions: do Siracs have to hold their breath when phasing through walls?

If not, could they breathe underwater by phasing through the water?

What about in spa... no, that's going too far.
"Combat is the crack cocaine of all excitement highs-with crack cocaine costs."
-Karl Marlantes, Vietnam veteran

Offline daemonschile

• Administrator
  • The Forum Ate My Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Siracs: Breathing while phasing
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2015, 08:51:32 pm »
Well... it doesn't look like Quinn's ever holding her breath when popping through the walls, so I'm guessing they probably don't have to.  Going with that is I think it was described more as accessing inter-dimensional travel rather than the stepping between atoms some sci-fi uses, where the air is where they are rather than confined to what they carry with them.

I imagine in that way they could phase through water... though I don't think it's ever been mentioned just how long they can safely stay phased, which could limit how much underwater traveling they could do. 

Yeah... space is probably too far... especially with how far you usually have to travel to get from one place to another out there.
Prenna D'tella/17/Calico/Veterinary Student
Shyssa Wynd/19/Jilaic/Human Studies

Offline Tiffany Ross

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2015, 05:08:19 pm »
I'm going to have to think about this, because their phasing works by opening a doorway through the object, not mixing their molecules.  I suppose you could say it's a bubble of energy that displaces whatever they're passing through into another reality, as stated with the accessing inter-dimensional travel. :D  I do not believe they can breath underwater by phasing through it, they'd only be carrying their existing pocket of air with them.

Offline Lillowen

• Mars RPG Approved
  • Bunnyfox
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2015, 03:39:44 pm »
Depending upon the size of that bubble, Tiff, be aware that this can mean from minutes on the inside (assuming something elliptical instead of form-fitting) to hours (bigger spheres/ellipsoids).  You might be shocked how much breathable air a sphere some three feet around can hold.
The whole history of science has been the gradual realization that events do not happen in an arbitrary manner, but that they reflect a certain underlying order, which may or may not be divinely inspired.  --Stephen W. Hawking : "A Brief History of Time"

Some people are like slinkys They aren't good for anything but you just can't help but smile when you see them tumbling down the stairs.

Offline Eboreg

• Dumbass
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2015, 04:33:06 pm »
To be honest, I don't see much difference between sending an air bubble through solid rock or through an ocean. In fact, I would see the latter as being easier.
"Combat is the crack cocaine of all excitement highs-with crack cocaine costs."
-Karl Marlantes, Vietnam veteran

Offline Tiffany Ross

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2015, 07:56:34 am »
Maybe in the water, the air bubble converts oxygen from the water outside just like it'd convert air from the outside in the air so the person inside can breathe and not suffocate? :D  It's a special filter bubble, menthol.

Offline HEX the Dark

• Mars RPG Approved
  • philosopher in sheep's clothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2015, 09:45:51 am »
That actually works. There are spiders which do that to survive under water.
HEX der Dunkle
Aries et Lupus
sorry for the bad english