Author Topic: Genoworks experiment maturation process  (Read 1982 times)

Offline Eboreg

• Dumbass
    • View Profile
Genoworks experiment maturation process
« on: February 06, 2015, 05:13:46 pm »
The idea of Genoworks experiments reaching adulthood early is a rather intriguing one but it does raise some questions. For example, how much of actual living do they learn on their own and how much is genetically programmed in? Do they instinctively know how to walk and talk or do they learn it from the environment like any other young child? And for that matter, how much of the maturation process is done inside the artificial wombs? Human babies are notable in the animal kingdom for being born at a very early stage of maturation due to the size constraints placed by being developed inside the mother and the fact that human heads are out of proportion with their bodies. Without any arbitrary size constraints due to the use of artificial wombs, would Genoworks experiments be able to remember their "births" or even before then?
"Combat is the crack cocaine of all excitement highs-with crack cocaine costs."
-Karl Marlantes, Vietnam veteran

Offline hariman

• Mars RPG Approved
  • I look forward to it with glee and trepidation!
    • View Profile
Re: Genoworks experiment maturation process
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2015, 11:17:05 pm »
Given the flashbacks in Sink or Swim, there's a toddler phase for genoworks creations. It's likely that the infant stage is over much more quickly than normal maturation, as well as the accelerated growth accelerating nerve growth to match the mental maturation to physical maturation.

There's probably very little learned genetically, as the only species with inherited memories in the Cyantian Verse are the Neefla, and that's actually transferred during the birthing process.

The early lessons are likely language/motor skills/basic knowledge.

It's most likely that genoworks creations are taken to the normal gestation times, and then decanted from the artificial wombs and raised from infancy.

It's also unlikely that they'd be able to remember their own birthing.

And cyantian newborns, at least foxes, don't have the same issues of birthing due to the difference between the engineered foxes and humans.

Soooo.... most likely, normal growth, only accelerated, scheduled/confined, and rushed due to genoworks wanting to make a profit.
I'm ashamed of myself. I didn't realize that Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure was a spoof of Doctor Who until 2011!

Offline Eboreg

• Dumbass
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2015, 06:11:08 pm »
I understand that Genoworks experiments wouldn't learn much genetically but I find it hard to believe that the rushed maturation process would be made inheritable. Thing is, Genoworks has had to make a lot of ethical and moral compromises to be able to maintain the bottom line since raising a child to adulthood is not a profitable venture no matter how you slice it. However, I don't see Genoworks making it so that their children would mature at an accelerated rate since that would not do anything to Genoworks' financial situation making such an action needlessly cruel. I can easily see them removing that problem by using symbiotic bacterium to produce the hormones necessary for the accelerated maturation process while taking extra care to make sure that said bacterium are not transmitted to any potential children. Point is, knowledge doesn't need to be programmed in genetically to be programmed in.

There's also the fact that Siracs know instinctively how to use their abilities without royally messing up and I can think of a number of things that can go wrong with phasing, like internal organs becoming external.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2015, 06:12:50 pm by Eboreg »
"Combat is the crack cocaine of all excitement highs-with crack cocaine costs."
-Karl Marlantes, Vietnam veteran

Offline hariman

• Mars RPG Approved
  • I look forward to it with glee and trepidation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2015, 10:12:27 pm »
The accelerated aging is the primary reason that Genoworks can make "art", AKA, slaves for sale.

It is an undisclosed process, possibly genetic and corrected later. It's also possible that it's a nanotech based process, or some other treatment.

I never thought that a Genoworks project would have children who aged super fast, and it's unlikely they'll actually have children before the accelerated aging is changed.

It's most likely that walking and talking is learned, and as little as possible is done to interfere with natural brain development. Because interfering with brain development beyond the accelerated aging is likely both risky and expensive.
I'm ashamed of myself. I didn't realize that Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure was a spoof of Doctor Who until 2011!

Offline Renessa

• The Hiberno-Norse Bard
  • Administrator
  • The Forum Ate My Soul
  • Damnit, Hadvar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2015, 08:56:37 pm »
The first few pages of Exotica Genoworks has it. http://cyantian.net/tales/comic/09262004/
Trinam "Toast" Orinu/Mounty (Serval-Oncilla mix)/18/2nd year Biomechanical Engineering student
Soida Hopea/Fox (blue)/31/Music Professor
Tejaswi Calumb/Equine/20/2nd year Whitesmith and Art minor
Fejin Majinai/Taboa/19/2nd year Music major, Martial Artist
Sriek Denae/Wolf/28/Professor of Voice Performance, part time Speech Therapist

Forum progenitor of just about everything dark/mature.
devArt

Offline daemonschile

• Administrator
  • The Forum Ate My Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2015, 09:55:50 pm »
I would suspect that those born outside the lab would have a slower incubation period since the female's body also has to adapt... and the fact they mention in EG about them growing faster in the artificial wombs than naturally born ones might go along with that.

Since the comic mentions they're all genetically engineered to rapidly mature to about two years within months, that would probably occur.

After that, since it sounds like some buyers would want them as kids, they might not automatically age faster, but perhaps have something genetically encoded waiting for a chemical trigger to activate rapid growth afterwards... which all the main characters have received by the time they're introduced. (With my thought being if there's an external trigger it's easier to find a way to interrupt it to stop it like the Akaelaes did once they noticed it was happening)
Prenna D'tella/17/Calico/Veterinary Student
Shyssa Wynd/19/Jilaic/Human Studies