Author Topic: Energy shields and projectile weapons  (Read 2327 times)

Offline Eboreg

• Dumbass
    • View Profile
Energy shields and projectile weapons
« on: August 21, 2014, 01:03:05 pm »
While talking about Cyantian military equipment, I've come across a lot of material about energy shields. There has been some exposition of what they are capable of in the main comic but I feel that it really does not say good things about their utility. The main example is when Twinky was stepped on by a giant mech. He was saved by his energy shield and another character said that he was lucky that the safety field tripped. So let's see what this means:

1) The energy shield is capable of stopping the force of a massive, metallic foot being propelled towards you by gravity
2) The energy shield only comes up when the suit detects that it's necessary for the occupant's survival
3) A tech said that Twinky was "lucky" that the suit detected a 10-ton foot traveling at him at 20 mph (rough estimates) and communicated to the shield matrix effectively and quickly enough to trip the shield. This seems to indicate a lack of trust in that regard.

So we've gathered that standard energy shields can save you from being crushed by a mech but judging on that third statement, I wouldn't trust it with much else. The probability of detection, as a general rule, tends to be directly proportional to the size of the object and inversely proportional to how fast it is going. I would trust this system to stop a 10-ton foot traveling at 20 mph from crushing me and possibly a 2 lb sword traveling at 40 mph from cutting my head off in a pinch. An 8.2 gram pellet traveling at about Mach 3? Forget it! That is why I would not trust Cyantian energy shields from stopping Terran bullets in a battlefield scenario.
"Combat is the crack cocaine of all excitement highs-with crack cocaine costs."
-Karl Marlantes, Vietnam veteran

Offline HEX the Dark

• Mars RPG Approved
  • philosopher in sheep's clothing
    • View Profile
Re: Energy shields and projectile weapons
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2014, 02:44:10 pm »
Yes yes, we got it, cyantian tech is bad, earthen one is, good, Ranma should have won, U-S-A U-S-A etc etc. -.-
HEX der Dunkle
Aries et Lupus
sorry for the bad english

Offline Eboreg

• Dumbass
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2014, 04:15:14 pm »
Well, the energy shields may not be enough to block Terran projectiles but the armor is a different story. In my mind Cyantians can easily produce armor that would block most Terran rounds. It's just that they probably didn't do so as much before the war as during and after. My headcanon has the Cyantian forces relying too much on energy shields and not enough on armor but Terran projectiles easily bypassed the shields forcing Government troops to start up-armoring.

Offline Renessa

• The Hiberno-Norse Bard
  • Administrator
  • The Forum Ate My Soul
  • Damnit, Hadvar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2014, 04:20:54 pm »
Your headcanon also doesn't count or, in fact, mean anything to the comics.
Trinam "Toast" Orinu/Mounty (Serval-Oncilla mix)/18/2nd year Biomechanical Engineering student
Soida Hopea/Fox (blue)/31/Music Professor
Tejaswi Calumb/Equine/20/2nd year Whitesmith and Art minor
Fejin Majinai/Taboa/19/2nd year Music major, Martial Artist
Sriek Denae/Wolf/28/Professor of Voice Performance, part time Speech Therapist

Forum progenitor of just about everything dark/mature.
devArt

Offline daemonschile

• Administrator
  • The Forum Ate My Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2014, 07:20:17 pm »
I didn't take it as them saying he's lucky it worked at all, but rather that he was lucky he happened to be wearing a suit with the capability to put up a heavy duty safety field at the time of the stomp-squishy.  :P
Prenna D'tella/17/Calico/Veterinary Student
Shyssa Wynd/19/Jilaic/Human Studies

Offline Gifted

• Mars RPG Approved
  • ricochette suitor
    • View Profile
    • Fabbersmith
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2014, 06:45:25 pm »
What daemonschile said.  I'd bet they use sensors similar to those used by the Israeli Trophy system, which are more than capable of detecting RPGs and missiles in time to take them out--the shields run on a shorter "fuse," needing less time to start up to block something, so you have a faster response time.

I do get the impression that the shield is either on or off though, with no lower power settings, so you'd either use a separate shield generator or armor to deal with smaller issues like bullets.
Monahan "Moe" Gladius
24/male wolf/red
Supply

Offline Eboreg

• Dumbass
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2014, 04:29:28 am »
[snip]Israeli Trophy system[/snip]

Forgot about that :facepalm:

Offline Gifted

• Mars RPG Approved
  • ricochette suitor
    • View Profile
    • Fabbersmith
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2014, 08:35:19 pm »
I probably wouldn't have known about it if it hadn't been for a discussion on a geopolitics and history board I'm on.  Oh, the conversations we have.
Monahan "Moe" Gladius
24/male wolf/red
Supply

Offline HEX the Dark

• Mars RPG Approved
  • philosopher in sheep's clothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2014, 05:14:51 am »
Btw: the impuls (not force, since i don't know about the acceleration, only terminal velocity) of you examples:

The 10 ton foot at 20 mph = 89408 kg*m/s
The 2lb sword at 40 mph = 16.2204 kg*m/s
The 8.2 g bullet at mach 3 = 8.3711 kg*m/s

Its obvious that (not taking surface and impact time etc. Into account) the force of the foot is about 4 magnitudes higher then the bullet, that means 10^4 times as much. That is so much that it dominates the calculation in all adpects. We can safely deduct that if the shield can stop the foot, a bullet is no problem as well.
HEX der Dunkle
Aries et Lupus
sorry for the bad english

Offline Gifted

• Mars RPG Approved
  • ricochette suitor
    • View Profile
    • Fabbersmith
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2014, 07:49:36 pm »
I do wonder now how concentration affects the shield though.  The foot may have the higher impulse, but the bullet's energy is concentrated on a much smaller surface area.
Monahan "Moe" Gladius
24/male wolf/red
Supply