Author Topic: How fast can a Cyantian fighter plane go?  (Read 987 times)

Offline Eboreg

• Dumbass
    • View Profile
How fast can a Cyantian fighter plane go?
« on: April 11, 2014, 07:11:10 pm »
This is a question that's been bugging me for a while now and I've only recently come up with a reasonable semi-scientific guess. First, let's lay out some basic assumptions:

Assumption 1) All Cyantian aircraft use anti-grav metal as a form of propulsion
Assumption 2) Any stresses caused by going at extreme speeds are easily dealt with by plotanium alloys
Assumption 3) Grav engines work by projecting their gravitational field away from the source in a linear fashion

To explain assumption 3, I should note that I've actually run into several articles explaining that NASA has created a rudimentary grav engine in their labs that works in this manner. Currently, they can't even lift themselves up so don't hold out any hope yet.

Assumption 4) The power of a grav engine is directly and linearly proportional to the volume of the craft it is in
Assumption 5, and this is the big one, Siracs fly by utilizing a biological grav engine that works with the same efficiency as a mechanical one.

My best point of data for how fast a grav engine can propel its craft is that an Adult Quinn is capable of flying at about 300mph without going into subspace. In order to go this fast, Quinn has to generate the same amount of force forward as the amount of drag is pushing backwards on her at 300mph. With this in mind, I used Wolfram|Alpha's drag coefficient calculator to figure out how much she needs and then scaled it up to the size of a regular Terran fighter jet, say, an F-4 Phantom II. I then used the F-4's drag coefficient against the force of my hypothetical Cyantian grav engine to find that a Cyantian fighter craft could easily reach speeds of Mach 7. It was actually quite a bit more but I capped it there in order to deal with all the unknowns I was dealing with such as more aerodynamic designs, the changing dynamics of drag when entering hypersonic speeds, and the comparative efficiency of a biological grav engine over a mechanical one. Still, we have to look at what this numbers means in comparison to Terran capabilities.

The SR-71 had a maximum speed of Mach 3.3, which is less than half of the speed of our hypothetical Cyantian fighter. That means that in the atmosphere the hypothetical fighter would leave every single Terran fighter completely in the dust. It would be able to circumnavigate the Earth in a little more than 5 hours while staying in the atmosphere. Also, since no anti-aircraft missiles that go faster than Mach 5 were ever mass produced on Earth, it would be all but impossible to shoot it down using current technology. Oh, and not to mention that due to how grav engines work, this thing would likely have full VTOL capabilities. From all this data, I think it becomes very obvious as to which side has the advantage in an aerial confrontation.

You now have permission to completely rip me open for the sheer genocide on catgirls that this post is.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2014, 07:18:46 pm by Eboreg »
"Combat is the crack cocaine of all excitement highs-with crack cocaine costs."
-Karl Marlantes, Vietnam veteran