Author Topic: Weapons of Mass Destruction in the Terra-Cyantia conflict  (Read 1475 times)

Offline Eboreg

• Dumbass
    • View Profile
Weapons of Mass Destruction in the Terra-Cyantia conflict
« on: January 10, 2014, 09:01:14 pm »
While I was thinking about the weapons capabilities of both sides of the Terra-Cyantia conflict in the strip, I realized that both sides have access to weapons of mass destruction making the diplomatic situation that much more complicated.

Earth:
Obviously, nukes, but the real problem is getting an effective delivery system. Yes, they could send a nuke to mars the same way they sent all those probes in the past but the Cyantians could easily intercept them.

Cyantia:
When the Cyantians started terraforming Venus, they probably caused several aneurysms in AMIB headquarters due to the amount of power need to make Venus inhabitable. The thing is that Venus actually turns very slowly making heat distribution a problem once you get rid of all the excess carbon dioxide in the atmosphere. If the Cyantians have enough Cyantium to speed up the rotation of Venus to a reasonable rate for inhabitability, then they most definitely have enough Cyantium to fling at Earth an asteroid large enough to make the dinosaur extinction look like a walk in the park. The fact that they haven't done so yet indicates to the AMIB that the Cyantians are trying to take over Earth to access the human resources.
"Combat is the crack cocaine of all excitement highs-with crack cocaine costs."
-Karl Marlantes, Vietnam veteran

Offline Lillowen

• Mars RPG Approved
  • Bunnyfox
    • View Profile
Re: Weapons of Mass Destruction in the Terra-Cyantia conflict
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2014, 12:04:09 pm »
I think, Eboreg, that you are again attempting to add in a little too much real-world physics entirely to the equation.  While it is possible, logically enough, for the Cyantians to drop a near-c rock onto Earth, it is also not in keeping with the tone and character of the plot and comic (regardless of the reality that might present itself).  I can also not make assumptions as to the knowledge or research (nor if such is an intended matter) that Tiff has put into the comic.  From what I can see, a majority of the tech falls into the "space opera" category, also known as "How's it work?  Who cares?!  Flip the switch already!".  Basically, the hows, technical data, why's etc., fall by the wayside in favor of a plot, regardless of the realities of the situation.  For example, don't even try to think of the forces acting upon something like a Star Wars Super Star Destroyer accelerating to high sublight in anything short of decades without tearing itself apart.  It can't happen with normal matter as we currently understand it.  Especially not under an ion engine system.  No-one worries about this, though, because it's running on the Rule of Cool: does it look cool and awesome on screen?  Does it get the Big Bad where he needs to be on time to confront the Big Damn Heroes?  Yes?  Then that's all that matters.
The whole history of science has been the gradual realization that events do not happen in an arbitrary manner, but that they reflect a certain underlying order, which may or may not be divinely inspired.  --Stephen W. Hawking : "A Brief History of Time"

Some people are like slinkys They aren't good for anything but you just can't help but smile when you see them tumbling down the stairs.

Offline Eboreg

• Dumbass
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2014, 12:28:16 pm »
Lillowen, I never said that the rock would be flying at relativistic speeds. The real focus is on mass, not speed. The rock does not need to fly at high velocities to cause massive damage, it just needs to be big.

Also, the Cyantians would probably not even notice that they have that capacity or even remotely think of using it. However, the AMIB would definitely take such an attack into consideration when they plan their moves against the Cyantian people.
"Combat is the crack cocaine of all excitement highs-with crack cocaine costs."
-Karl Marlantes, Vietnam veteran

Offline Shippou-chan

• King of Foxes & NPCs
  • Administrator
  • Postaholic
  • Chatin Suiter #4
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2014, 09:27:10 pm »
Bear in mind a couple of things.

First, the AMIB aren't the only planetary defense force on Terra, just the American one.
Secondly, they're not so much out to get the Cyantians as they are wanting to keep their respective country safe.

Granted, they have shown that they're pragmatists who prefer pro-active response, but we don't know what their limits are, nor do we see into their side of things.  Nonetheless, I highly doubt they'll launch any sort of WMD unless they feel it is an absolutely last resort.  I would say the same of any of the other bodies who focus on the extra-terrestrial threat (each of which may be very different in their approach and code of conduct).
The Fidael Family - Noiya, Taisha, Rutilus, Rokfriez, and Double-Q
Rifalia Mekiska - Socialite Revolutionary
Leikki Biegle - Painfully Shy Mouse Mechanic
Amala Kanara - Highly Competitive and Mischievous Special Ops Cheetah
Rhiadi Kaelynn - Graduate Level Education Major
Krytus Yami - Intimidating Security Personnel
Jyala Oppa - Cheerful Otter Athlete
Sharib Akhim - Shelved - Proud and Grumpy Ram (but not a bad guy)
Fictional Characters - Such as Ruti might read.