Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Anyone got the Chevalier archive?  (Read 1341 times)

raptor

• Mars RPG Approved
    • View Profile
    • http://elizarverant.livejournal.com/
Anyone got the Chevalier archive?
« on: May 14, 2013, 05:23:56 PM »

I've been following the reboot of Chevalier (located here, and since I recall that Tiffany was the first one to illustrate it I would want to see the difference between the two. But I can't locate the older archive online so I'm wondering if any of you would know where to find it.

Renessa

• The Hiberno-Norse Bard
  • Administrator
  • The Forum Ate My Soul
  • Damnit, Hadvar.
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone got the Chevalier archive?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2013, 06:03:41 PM »

I believe, due to some issues with the original writer, it was taken down. So unless its been archived on the way-back machine or something similar, I don't think its available for reading any more.  :-\

EDIT: In the interest of clearing up why without sharing my own memories of it (despite the chance it might stir up old drama), a post sort of about it.  I'm sure if you asked Tiff directly she might tell you what happened in private.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2013, 06:09:50 PM by Renessa »
Trinam "Toast" Orinu/Mounty (Serval-Oncilla mix)/18/2nd year Biomechanical Engineering student
Soida Hopea/Fox (blue)/31/Music Professor
Tejaswi Calumb/Equine/20/2nd year Whitesmith and Art minor
Fejin Majinai/Taboa/19/2nd year Music major, Martial Artist
Sriek Denae/Wolf/28/Professor of Voice Performance, part time Speech Therapist

Forum progenitor of just about everything dark/mature.
devArt

raptor

• Mars RPG Approved
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2013, 06:26:33 PM »

I'm not interested in the drama of why Chevalier got pulled. I'm more interested in comparing the art, panel setup and how the narration evolved. I'm a friend of the current artist of Chevalier and I was kind of interested in knowing just how much is "hers" of the comic.

Renessa

• The Hiberno-Norse Bard
  • Administrator
  • The Forum Ate My Soul
  • Damnit, Hadvar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2013, 06:43:27 PM »

Well, I'm pretty sure because the art and designs belong to Tiffany she's reused some of it in Serin: Faerie Hunter.  I couldn't tell you which panels or pages, because she's redrawn/freshly drawn a lot for her original story and I never read Chevalier to begin with, but if you read it you might be able to recognize some. http://shivae.net/serin/
Trinam "Toast" Orinu/Mounty (Serval-Oncilla mix)/18/2nd year Biomechanical Engineering student
Soida Hopea/Fox (blue)/31/Music Professor
Tejaswi Calumb/Equine/20/2nd year Whitesmith and Art minor
Fejin Majinai/Taboa/19/2nd year Music major, Martial Artist
Sriek Denae/Wolf/28/Professor of Voice Performance, part time Speech Therapist

Forum progenitor of just about everything dark/mature.
devArt

daemonschile

• Administrator
  • The Forum Ate My Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2013, 01:21:52 PM »

*nods*

Don't think the original is up anywhere anymore... but I did read it.  For character design comparing Serin to it is about the best you can do right now.

I think his script is pretty much the same.  The art panel set-up seems a little different, as I recall the previous one went a little more with the narrative flow so the rhyming was pretty obvious, while the new one has several lines with one image or splits the line among a couple images so the rhyming's  a little less apparent unless you're looking for it.   Also the mice before were closer to the 'camera' in the group scenes, or had their own panels, making them look more important as characters rather than itty bitty bits in a human scene. (Part of me thinks there may have been more scenes with the main characters before to show they were the main characters, but not sure anymore)
Prenna D'tella/17/Calico/Veterinary Student
Shyssa Wynd/19/Jilaic/Human Studies

raptor

• Mars RPG Approved
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2013, 01:52:22 PM »

It's one of those things I want to see for myself, though the rhyme thing is something that's slow to pick up in the archives. I think the deal was that with this format it looks more like a book that one would read to the kids, thus when sounding it out the rhyme comes. Though I admit that the rhyming could be better overall, though I am not familiar with English rhyming standard nor do I have sufficient English rhyming vocabulary.

I tried the waybackmachine, apparently robots.txt is set in such a way that archiving is not permitted, no way to get it there, and since Google archiving is not really open I can't see if that has anything.