Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Raffle to the Moon...  (Read 3051 times)

Gifted

• Mars RPG Approved
  • ricochette suitor
    • View Profile
    • Fabbersmith
Raffle to the Moon...
« on: December 19, 2012, 10:50:12 PM »

Would it be worth $1,000?  If you sold 100 million raffle tickets for $1,000 each, you get $100 billion.  Most estimates for private efforts at building a moon base come in well below that number, which means that you can use the leftovers to fund the individual trips.  Even with only three or four trips, which with a paid crew would give you 20 or so people going, your chances are better than the lottery.  It's also less than half the worldwide lottery ticket sales.

Would you buy a ticket?
Monahan "Moe" Gladius
24/male wolf/red
Supply

hariman

• Mars RPG Approved
  • I look forward to it with glee and trepidation!
    • View Profile
Re: Raffle to the Moon...
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2012, 11:27:12 PM »

Eh, probably not. I don't like raffles all that much, unless it's going to charity.
I'm ashamed of myself. I didn't realize that Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure was a spoof of Doctor Who until 2011!

Frost

• Mars RPG Approved
  • Ceiling Cat - Posting Iz Gud
  • Absolute Zero
    • View Profile
    • Mah Buh'ket
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2012, 12:49:43 AM »

Hmm........Nah, I think I'd pass. I'd never get through the stratosphere before I told them to turn it around and land it so I could puke. High places, my one true weakness.
"Apparently, having common sense and using common sense is an evolutionary leap"

MARPG Aproved:
Tyberisu Frost Luthera, 22, Wolf, Mechanic Leadsman
Mimi Nesolagas 17, Rabbit, student/apprentice/assistant
Odin O'Malley Malius, Feline Cross, 2nd yr Chem. Student/ Janitor
Sgt. Major Abraham Obsidian 25, Black Saber Tooth/Tiger Cross, Security Drill Sargent/Officer
Tokala Toki Velox 29, Gold Fox, Shrink

NPC:
Zeeka Crassadon,
Vaughn & Virgil Orion (Twin Wolves)

The best Villain never lets on he's the bad guy.

St Anger

• Mars RPG Approved
  • Kyrie Eleison
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2012, 01:02:37 AM »

Ehhhhhhh... tempting. Just a little too steep for me personally, I think. Though from a scientific standpoint, I would be quite willing to trade a species or two of boring, useless, "endangered" field mice for the same goal   >:D.
'An open mind is like a fortress with its gates unbarred and unguarded'

David Kelly O'Neill, 26, Human, Refugee
Altius Caelis Aeschyr, 27, Wolf, Teaching Assistant/Demonstrator

hariman

• Mars RPG Approved
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2012, 02:49:42 AM »

Ehhhhhhh... tempting. Just a little too steep for me personally, I think. Though from a scientific standpoint, I would be quite willing to trade a species or two of boring, useless, "endangered" field mice for the same goal   >:D.

Any species that's a color variation of an existing species would be the right place to start. They're already a species, but this group has an extra set of spots!

And yeah, it IS expensive at $1000.
I'm ashamed of myself. I didn't realize that Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure was a spoof of Doctor Who until 2011!

HEX the Dark

• Mars RPG Approved
  • philosopher in sheep's clothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2012, 05:50:21 AM »

Selling 100 Million tickets? Worldwide maybe, in America, at this state, unlikely. But yeah, count me in.
HEX der Dunkle
Aries et Lupus
sorry for the bad english

Eboreg

• Dumbass
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2012, 07:34:07 AM »

If I had the money, I would very easily count myself in. However, I wouldn't do it with the expectation of getting on the trip.
"Combat is the crack cocaine of all excitement highs-with crack cocaine costs."
-Karl Marlantes, Vietnam veteran

Lillowen

• Mars RPG Approved
  • Bunnyfox
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2012, 11:25:10 AM »

I'm with Eboreg on this one, folks: I'd happily pay if I had the money, but I'd have to consider it essentially a write-off.  Considering the positively glacial speed of anything space-based these days, I'll be dead and buried and thrice dust before my number comes up.  If I had great-grandkids, they MIGHT get a seat, assuming it all doesn't fold by then.  I love space, want to see our world do more than sit in Low Earth Orbit again, but I have a realistic view on it: it's not going to happen in my lifetime, no matter how pretty people talk.  Mind you, I'm 42, and I expect another 30 years' worth of life barring accidents (past there it's a crap shoot roll of the dice).  Now, if somehow they find OIL on one of the inner planets, then we'll be there tomorrow, at worst next week, with convoys starting up the week after.  Until then, nope, not gonna happen.
The whole history of science has been the gradual realization that events do not happen in an arbitrary manner, but that they reflect a certain underlying order, which may or may not be divinely inspired.  --Stephen W. Hawking : "A Brief History of Time"

Some people are like slinkys They aren't good for anything but you just can't help but smile when you see them tumbling down the stairs.

HEX the Dark

• Mars RPG Approved
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2012, 11:43:42 AM »

OIL? Now. Even not coal. With no life, then no oil or coal. But maybe gold or so.
HEX der Dunkle
Aries et Lupus

Lillowen

• Mars RPG Approved
  • Bunnyfox
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2012, 03:34:34 PM »

Hex, dear heart, the point of it was that unless there is something there of easy and quick commercial gain for resources, we'll not go there.  Gold?  Yeah, might trigger a boom, not as likely.  Just, like I said, get whatever cheap and easily and be able to corner a market or get a high profit from it, we'll be there.  Greed will motivate us, little or nothing else.
The whole history of science has been the gradual realization that events do not happen in an arbitrary manner, but that they reflect a certain underlying order, which may or may not be divinely inspired.  --Stephen W. Hawking : "A Brief History of Time"

Some people are like slinkys They aren't good for anything but you just can't help but smile when you see them tumbling down the stairs.

hariman

• Mars RPG Approved
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2012, 03:46:56 PM »

Actually, some scientists are looking at the evidence of oil fields refilling on their own as a sign that oil is not a fossil fuel and actually created by chemical reactions under the Earth's crust.

So the actual issue would be that the moon likely lacks as much internal activity as earth, so it's less likely to have easily found oil, as well as transportation costs and such.

Unfortunately, the current generation of space vehicles are far too inefficient for a moon base, so it will be a generation or two before anyone develops that.

HEX the Dark

• Mars RPG Approved
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2012, 04:05:50 PM »

"Actually, some scientists are looking at the evidence of oil fields refilling on their own as a sign that oil is not a fossil fuel and actually created by chemical reactions under the Earth's crust."

Yeah... no.
HEX der Dunkle
Aries et Lupus

hariman

• Mars RPG Approved
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2012, 04:33:15 PM »

"Actually, some scientists are looking at the evidence of oil fields refilling on their own as a sign that oil is not a fossil fuel and actually created by chemical reactions under the Earth's crust."

Yeah... no.

Perhaps, and perhaps not.

http://www.viewzone.com/abioticoilx.html

As for the moon landing, I stand by my opinion that it will be a generation or two before anything real happens as technology develops that makes orbital travel and space travel easier.

HEX the Dark

• Mars RPG Approved
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2012, 04:56:34 PM »

I'm no chemist, but it sounds very shaky.
HEX der Dunkle
Aries et Lupus

hariman

• Mars RPG Approved
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2012, 05:03:59 PM »

There's evidence for both sides. We'll have to wait and see which one gets proven true.

The biggest issue with travel even to the moon is the cost of getting anything into orbit. Getting something out of orbit would be easier with a station to refuel and resupply after the initial takeoff. Plus, fuel efficiency is a major issue.

So, as I mentioned before, there's a while before we master that technology is created and mastered.

Rocket Fuel is actually probably pretty inefficient for the initial takeoff, and changing the initial launch is probably the first necessity.