Author Topic: The lives of imaginary things  (Read 2779 times)

Offline Renessa

• The Hiberno-Norse Bard
  • Administrator
  • The Forum Ate My Soul
  • Damnit, Hadvar.
    • View Profile
The lives of imaginary things
« on: December 05, 2012, 09:43:59 pm »
In a conversation I got into with the harimans I mentioned I keep a sort of running plot with my characters.  Even though I'm not using them or they're not running around in plain sight doesn't mean things aren't still happening to them.  They continue  to grow and change off screen.  For example, Tejaswi has gotten a little less grumpy-fun-killer lately and started being a little more friendly.  She's happy.  Soida has been challenging herself, learning new things, and expanding her craft so despite still being reclusive Soida she's happier than normal.

So, do your characters, for the MARPG or any other game you're playing, continue to live even after the off switch is flipped?
Trinam "Toast" Orinu/Mounty (Serval-Oncilla mix)/18/2nd year Biomechanical Engineering student
Soida Hopea/Fox (blue)/31/Music Professor
Tejaswi Calumb/Equine/20/2nd year Whitesmith and Art minor
Fejin Majinai/Taboa/19/2nd year Music major, Martial Artist
Sriek Denae/Wolf/28/Professor of Voice Performance, part time Speech Therapist

Forum progenitor of just about everything dark/mature.
devArt

Offline Frost

• Mars RPG Approved
  • Ceiling Cat - Posting Iz Gud
  • Absolute Zero
    • View Profile
    • Mah Buh'ket
Re: The lives of imaginary things
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2012, 11:20:40 pm »
The trick is trying to keep track of game time.

Frost has gained a few pounds since his last appearance. ::)
Mimi's got a cuddly new pet. :-\
Abe is showing a little more personality. ;)
Toki is up to something. (Thats for me to know, and you to FEAR) >:D
O'Malley (rest his fuzzy soul) is still under that pile of laundry.........His room mates should extract him before he suffocates! :o
"Apparently, having common sense and using common sense is an evolutionary leap"

MARPG Aproved:
Tyberisu Frost Luthera, 22, Wolf, Mechanic Leadsman
Mimi Nesolagas 17, Rabbit, student/apprentice/assistant
Odin O'Malley Malius, Feline Cross, 2nd yr Chem. Student/ Janitor
Sgt. Major Abraham Obsidian 25, Black Saber Tooth/Tiger Cross, Security Drill Sargent/Officer
Tokala Toki Velox 29, Gold Fox, Shrink

NPC:
Zeeka Crassadon,
Vaughn & Virgil Orion (Twin Wolves)

The best Villain never lets on he's the bad guy.

Offline Eboreg

• Dumbass
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2012, 02:37:56 am »
I figure since my characters are all but approved, I should tell you about them as well.

Steve has just slept off a binge hacking session designed to stop technomages from calling him out.
Ignus is in the medbay with a broken leg. He's still thankful to Steve for rescuing him but did not appreciate it when Steve said, "Apparently, Firefox has crashed and needs cuddles."
"Combat is the crack cocaine of all excitement highs-with crack cocaine costs."
-Karl Marlantes, Vietnam veteran

Offline hariman

• Mars RPG Approved
  • I look forward to it with glee and trepidation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2012, 02:44:22 am »
With some characters of mine, I keep thinking of them and they keep growing in their own universe and their universe keeps growing.

Angryman, my idea for a superhero, is a better example of this, as I keep refining his personality and the setting/supporting cast he lives in. He's actually lost and then regained his signature "I'M REALLY ANGRY AND I'M DOING SOMETHING ABOUT THE PROBLEM!" core of his character, though when he got that back, he also gained the personality trait of having long since learned to direct that into productive effort instead of just raging.

I'm betting nobody is surprised that he's one of my characters.

Nevix has versions in other universes, but he's a character I've started to consider restricting only to the cyantian 'verse for the time being. Especially since some of those other universes are a bit over the top.
I'm ashamed of myself. I didn't realize that Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure was a spoof of Doctor Who until 2011!

Offline KJ Fellie

• Mars RPG Approved
  • The Forum Ate My Soul
  • We have cookies...
    • View Profile
    • Ivy Trellis's SL store!
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2012, 05:36:46 am »
With some characters of mine, I keep thinking of them and they keep growing in their own universe and their universe keeps growing.

Angryman, my idea for a superhero, is a better example of this, as I keep refining his personality and the setting/supporting cast he lives in. He's actually lost and then regained his signature "I'M REALLY ANGRY AND I'M DOING SOMETHING ABOUT THE PROBLEM!" core of his character, though when he got that back, he also gained the personality trait of having long since learned to direct that into productive effort instead of just raging.

Nevix has versions in other universes, but he's a character I've started to consider restricting only to the cyantian 'verse for the time being. Especially since some of those other universes are a bit over the top.

Makes me think of "Mr. Furious" lol.
Keijai "KJ Fellie", 20, Fox (orange), genetics student, stylist. Dyes fur. APPROVED room 05-S507 The Spotted Fox
Xi Li Kai, 17, Rifier, linguistics student. APPROVED room 04-N440
Carrie Foxx, 16?, caracal mounty, AMIB agent (captured) APPROVED
Yanoi Lacroix, 20, Fennec, Student/scientist (technomage science) APPROVED room 08-S273 @Yanoi_Lacroix
Fur Affinity ~ Weasyl ~ Deviant Art
Also: ShivaeWiki!

Offline KJ Fellie

• Mars RPG Approved
  • The Forum Ate My Soul
  • We have cookies...
    • View Profile
    • Ivy Trellis's SL store!
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2012, 06:19:26 am »
Oh, and yes, my characters do carry on with their lives a bit while I'm not posting... :P KJ is, well, KJ, an irrepressible flirt who's gone through more appearances than should be allowed... :P Xi Li has been mauling people from time to time, usually the same mouse technomage, but she's calmed a bit, and she's still determined to show Shyssa she means her no harm :P I'm sure she'd love getting cuddly with her roomies, but a certain amount of self-preservation prevents that. She likes attention but doesn't want to get beaten up. :P Carrie is slowly becoming more social, and has developed a bit of a friendship with Yanoi. Yanoi has grown very close to Fel, and I'm sure the pair of them are continually coming up with gadgets to wreak havoc about the academy with, even if by accident. ::)
Keijai "KJ Fellie", 20, Fox (orange), genetics student, stylist. Dyes fur. APPROVED room 05-S507 The Spotted Fox
Xi Li Kai, 17, Rifier, linguistics student. APPROVED room 04-N440
Carrie Foxx, 16?, caracal mounty, AMIB agent (captured) APPROVED
Yanoi Lacroix, 20, Fennec, Student/scientist (technomage science) APPROVED room 08-S273 @Yanoi_Lacroix
Fur Affinity ~ Weasyl ~ Deviant Art
Also: ShivaeWiki!

Offline hariman

• Mars RPG Approved
  • I look forward to it with glee and trepidation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2012, 09:57:58 am »

Makes me think of "Mr. Furious" lol.

Just a bit, only without the point where he gets power from his anger and a suit of specialized riot armor and other gear from his time as a police officer instead.

He has no powers and is a lower tier hero who only protects a smaller area from lesser crimes. Which is the point. He's so angry because his area of the city became massively corrupt after he was injured and had to leave the police force first to recover, and then for other reasons.

Still, some of the anger is an act, but he's still pretty hacked off at the corruption in his area, which is why he registers and becomes a hero. ;)
I'm ashamed of myself. I didn't realize that Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure was a spoof of Doctor Who until 2011!

Offline Lillowen

• Mars RPG Approved
  • Bunnyfox
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2012, 10:32:39 am »
Fel definitely lives on while "offscreen" so to speak, as she is an irrepressible tinkerer, and more than likely has made a small corner of the room into a miniature workshop.  Atop this there are numerous widgets scattered throughout the quarters she has, sometimes finding their way onto (and into) couches, etc.  She has indeed grown very close to Yanoi, and also takes a fair shake of time, when she can, to cook up classically Fennec dishes, as much for Yanoi as for herself.  In addition to her classes, Fel tries whenever possible to spend time, where permissible, in the lift bay's maintenance area, assisting anyone in essentially an on-call basis.  Fel isn't as active in large groups socially, preferring a small, fairly tight-knit group akin to what there was in her home caravan.

Due to her unique disability of lacking a direction sense, Fel hasn't explored the rest of the campus ship yet, except when for the most part being asked to go somewhere or taken there by friends.  She doesn't conceal her worries about getting lost, so her roomies would by now be aware of it.
The whole history of science has been the gradual realization that events do not happen in an arbitrary manner, but that they reflect a certain underlying order, which may or may not be divinely inspired.  --Stephen W. Hawking : "A Brief History of Time"

Some people are like slinkys They aren't good for anything but you just can't help but smile when you see them tumbling down the stairs.

Offline Shippou-chan

• King of Foxes & NPCs
  • Administrator
  • Postaholic
  • Chatin Suiter #4
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2012, 10:33:58 am »
I know many of my characters sometimes have analogs in other worlds, usually with the same name, but adapted to fit their world.

Rutilus is a sort of self-representation, as most of the older forumites know, and actually started off a little Mary-Sue-ish, although I did thankfully curb that before it became malignant.  (Taisha, the father, was originally envisioned as a technomage, before I was talked to making him quite a bit less conspicuous.)

Rifalia has recently taken on a character of her own elsewhere, which means I have to make sure she's consistent here, now that I'm back again.

I'd love to explore more of what it's like to be Leikki, as he is a very distinct character, and a fun one to play at times.
The Fidael Family - Noiya, Taisha, Rutilus, Rokfriez, and Double-Q
Rifalia Mekiska - Socialite Revolutionary
Leikki Biegle - Painfully Shy Mouse Mechanic
Amala Kanara - Highly Competitive and Mischievous Special Ops Cheetah
Rhiadi Kaelynn - Graduate Level Education Major
Krytus Yami - Intimidating Security Personnel
Jyala Oppa - Cheerful Otter Athlete
Sharib Akhim - Shelved - Proud and Grumpy Ram (but not a bad guy)
Fictional Characters - Such as Ruti might read.

Offline Renessa

• The Hiberno-Norse Bard
  • Administrator
  • The Forum Ate My Soul
  • Damnit, Hadvar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2012, 12:35:01 pm »
I figure since my characters are all but approved, I should tell you about them as well.

Steve has just slept off a binge hacking session designed to stop technomages from calling him out.
Ignus is in the medbay with a broken leg. He's still thankful to Steve for rescuing him but did not appreciate it when Steve said, "Apparently, Firefox has crashed and needs cuddles."

Nothing is near approval, or even close to getting out of planning.  Try to tone down the unfounded arrogance and maybe you'll get somewhere.
Trinam "Toast" Orinu/Mounty (Serval-Oncilla mix)/18/2nd year Biomechanical Engineering student
Soida Hopea/Fox (blue)/31/Music Professor
Tejaswi Calumb/Equine/20/2nd year Whitesmith and Art minor
Fejin Majinai/Taboa/19/2nd year Music major, Martial Artist
Sriek Denae/Wolf/28/Professor of Voice Performance, part time Speech Therapist

Forum progenitor of just about everything dark/mature.
devArt