Author Topic: Nevix Astari  (Read 2192 times)

Offline hariman

• Mars RPG Approved
  • I look forward to it with glee and trepidation!
    • View Profile
Nevix Astari
« on: November 09, 2012, 02:32:50 am »
rejected 12/9

As per the rules, Nevix advances to registration.

Full Name: Nevix Astari
Species: Genoworks Skunk
Type: Technomage, Teacher
Function: Teacher: Wilderness Survival/Advanced Close Combat/Self Defense for Technomages

Quotes:
"Oh? You thought that would work on me? I haven't fallen for that one in years!"
"Unfortunately, or perhaps fortunately, my dreams and ambitions of having a full sized Acid Whip familiar have gone unfulfilled."
"Ok, so I am lucky. I just never said it was good luck!"
"Oh, please do take that first swing at me. I'd LOVE to toss you into the nearest fountain for fun!"
"Heh. I said RECOVERING power seeker. Not retired or failed."

How much experience do you have with role-playing? How much time have you spent on MUSHs/MUXs/etc.? Not much. I've followed the MARPG from time to time, but I haven't actually played. I do have several years of D&D experience in both home campaigns and in the Living Greyhawk campaign.

What things does he like? Icefruit, honing his skills, FREEDOM!, anything cute and cuddly (though he's not one to show that in public), Icefruit and action movies.

He's developed an interest in Terran culture and media of all types. Including Terran martial arts.

Dislike? Big ones: Bounty Hunters, Genoworks Exotica, slavers, hostage takers, cruelty to animals. Oh, and Rama Tibal.

Lesser ones: "Escaped Experiment" vids, (Being an escaped experiment means he identifies with the protagonist too much. His last week or two in genoworks are some of the worst days of his life.), "Depressing downer movies", candy and food that's spicy, and technomages who prank indiscriminately for fun.

*Side Note:* As much as Nevix hates bounty hunters and Rama Tibal, his most likely reaction if he found either at Mars Academy would be to report them without confronting them. He would only fight either with backup (preferably from security) or if he had no choice.

What are the strong points of your character? He's mentally very strong and clearheaded, deliberately so.  He's driven to be the best at what he chooses to do. He's also developed a certain amount of flexibility, so when he encounters a roadblock to progress, he'll often try a different approach. He's also incredibly hard to rattle via fear, as he's lived his worst fear of being kidnapped to be either a slave or sold back to Genoworks. Repeatedly.

Weak points? He was obsessive to a fault, especially about getting stronger and better able to defend himself (His family actually staged an intervention to keep him from getting too power obsessed.) and he's still now working on making that better. He's also socially several years behind where he would normally be because of that. He also has an arrogant streak born from confidence in his abilities actually being very good.

Nevix works at managing both his arrogant and obsessive streaks.

Name one thing your character would never do and why. Use someone as a slave. He's been through it and he'd never inflict it on someone else.

How does he interact with others?Not as well as he'd like. His obsessive tendencies have left him less than experienced with people. He can be blunt and rude, even though he doesn't mean to. He prefers to NOT use his technomagery as a way to make up the difference, as he knows (and was reminded) that technomagery would be a crutch. He can be cynical and snarky at times. His dealings with pirates, thieves and bounty hunters (as well as kidnappers) have left their mark on him.

He has always tended to not be too social, leaning more towards gaining only a few friends. He now recognizes that he has to get out some and at least try. He has improved lately, though not as much as he'd like. (Professional therapy has helped too.) He's spent time recently preparing for the academy and socializing with some of his coworkers and reconnecting with his friends.

What are their abilities, hobbies, things they're good at? He's spent much of his student and working life training to be the best Technomage possible, including both close and long range combat that doesn't involve technomage abilities. He's a passable cook, He also likes learning about anything and everything he can.

Nevix also a very accomplished prankster who used to get into regular prank wars with Quinn Akaelae. And win. (He's grown out of the pranking phase and is more likely to either give advice or disrupt the pranking, decided case by case) He likes playing Gravball and he loves the holographic shooting gallery seen in Campus Safari.

Tools of the trade (including weapons) His own body and skills. His technomage abilities, including his familiars Spiral and Hammer, are his primary tools. He also carries a hand stunner, preferring it to technomagery if it's needed.

Nevix also keeps several subspace storage devices with him. One for tools and supplies. A backup of the first. And a third that has spare clothes. LOTS of spare clothes.

Lastly, he tends to wear discreet armor under his clothes while also carrying a good hunting knife. He doesn't expect to need them, he's still just a bit cautious about being defenseless.

Give an example description of your character. Nevix is 5' 10". He's a Black furred skunk with "bruise blue" stripes. His build is average, but well toned due to constant training. His face more resembles a terran skunk than normal. He also has almost no natural scent, as his "scent" is actually a deodorizer.

He's often seen with his pet Gryphon Avalanche, a large grey and white Northern Gurdan gryphon. Avalanche has been his favorite pet and companion since he first met his family after escaping from Genoworks Exotica. She's very well trained and loves both children and other people. She's named for her size and her former tendency to bowl people over. She tends to be better behaved now.

http://www.furaffinity.net/view/6753084
http://www.furaffinity.net/view/5086905/

He also tends to have his wisp familiars Spiral and Hammer with him. Spiral is an orange wisp that was Nevix first familiar, and Spiral has mellowed and is typically seen on Nevix shoulders or on Avalanche's back or head. Hammer is a crimson wisp who was a much more recent acquisition. Hammer is much more curious and investigative about his surroundings much more than Spiral.

Spiral (and Nevix) can be seen here:
http://www.furaffinity.net/view/6430217/

Why is it essential to your character to be here in the Mars Academy? He wants to be there. Mars Academy also has friends of his and it's a place to settle down for him as well as providing a more positive outlet for his need to become stronger.

What are their qualifications? He really is one of the best technomages out there. He's also had a significant amount of experience working as security for his Uncle's/Cousin's merchant business. (It's similar to Border Guard, only just focused on his family's assets and the others who hired them.)

He also knows a good bit about tracking and wilderness survival from his father and immediate family and has enough knowledge about his Uncle's shipping/mercantile business to be the on site inspector for the Mars Academy branch of Starry Night Enterprises.

What traits do they have that are useful to the future colony? Nevix is willing to teach Wilderness Survival as a regular class. He helps in normal martial arts and close combat classes as a sparring partner for newer students.

He's also good at teaching some of his close combat skills to students, even if he does sometimes fall back on, if not start with, "Kick them around the sparring ring and tell them what they're doing wrong till they get it right." He could also moonlight in special ops and security, given his skills and prior experience working for family.

Currently, there's no official Spec Ops position for Nevix. Nevix also realizes that his connections with his family's business might also be something the Silver, Rayne and Darius DON'T want in a spec ops member.

Also of note: Nevix' connections with Quinn and the Akaelae family/the Mounty Royal Family are only tangential at best. He only knows Quinn the most, and that's as a rival prankster/former friend. The others he might have met once or twice, typically when a prank war got the others involved.

What are their goals in being here? He views Mars Academy as a place he can settle down and finally relax a bit. He also wants to make some new friends and possibly start a family. He's not really looking for someone at the moment, though it is something he's considered.

He's also being paid to regularly audit and monitor the Mars Academy branch of Starry Night Enterprises. It's only required once or twice a week, and it only takes a couple hours.

What is your characters nature and thoughts on others of his/her species? "We're rare! That's why we skunks are either lucky to find another skunk, or we search for a mounty or rabbit to settle down with. Heck, I don't think I know OF  more than a half dozen other C-group skunks. The only ones I recall meeting in person are Chatin and Cilke Akaelae, and that's because they helped Quinn pick on me a couple times."

Nevix tends to view other freed genoworks projects favorably, regardless of how they gained their freedom. He wishes he could free ones who are still serving, though he realizes that some would rather just serve a while and then gain their freedom. Nevix has given a good bit to the Three Sister's Fund for freed genoworks people.

The only Genoworks products that bother Nevix are ones that serve as bounty hunters for Genoworks and those who kill indiscriminately. (Although that second one applies to all species, and it bothers a lot more people than just Nevix.)

While Nevix does view his fellow genoworks projects favorably, he still judges the ones he meets on an individual basis. They just get points for sharing a bit of his history with him.

What is his or her view on other species?
Nevix views Mounties, Wolves, Mice and Cyantian Humans favorably, as he's lived with them during his time growing up in Mounty Territory.
Most other species, the Native Cyantians like the aquatics, digni, rabbits, terran humans and so on are viewed neutrally.
Fox and Avisterians are mildly distrusted, but Nevix has met enough that it's not often noticeable. (Both were involved in attempts to sell him back to genoworks.)

All people he meets are judged on their own merits, their species doesn't really matter that much to Nevix.

He views the Fox Plague as a massive tragedy which should have only killed the royals. Nevix thinks that Kiet Al'Rashon is a much better ruler than his father.

Please answer the following in a couple paragraphs: What is your character's history? Who is or was your characters family? What were the important events of your characters past? What kind of life did they have before they arrived at the academy?

Nevix was created at Genoworks as "Cendal" at about the same time as the other C-Group Skunks. He was, however, considered a massive failure for his lack of scent and deodorizing abilities. After an pair of incidents that broke an arm and a leg, Nevix was kept as a pet project by the geneticist who created him and isolated from the other c-group "products". This move was both to spite the military and to protect Nevix.

During Nevix' last days at Genoworks, he was transferred to the punishment section "To save space" and was told that his geneticist would "Pick him back up again soon.". Which led to a tense and frightening time among others who were being constantly taken for experiments and were often heard screaming and crying through the cell doors. Nevix views the "To Save Space" story as BS and has lasting emotional scars from this period of time.

Nevix escaped from Genoworks at the same time as Cere, Syrys and the others, using the confusion to escape into the cold while deliberately avoiding the trails of other escapees.

After several days traveling away from Genoworks, (including a lucky find of a patch of Icefruit so he wasn't starving), Nevix heard someone talking at the bottom of a short ridge. He attempted to get a look at who was talking and promptly fell down the ridge into his new family.

The wolf and gryphon he fell onto were Arix Astari and his pet northern gurdan gryphon Avalanche. Arix took Nevix home to his wife Laurel and his daughter Talia. Talia immediately took to Nevix as a little brother, and both Laurel and Arix took to him as a son no long after. Adopting Nevix and giving him the name Nevix Astari (After Arix' Father.) in the process.

Nevix' life with his new family was idyllic, but marred by the fact that times were too fallow for the family to stay at their cabin. So they moved to Gralen Cragg Hall with Arix' brother Nevan, his wife Mariel and their son, a black wolf cub also named Nevix. After a few months of Nevix the Skunk (Nevix) and Nevix the Wolf adjusting to living with each other, things settled down and life became fairly normal. The greatest problem he had to deal with was aging faster than his classmates and sometimes being clumsy because his accelerated aging wasn't consistent.

As a side note: Nevix was raised as a Christian, as his family was converted to Christianity a good 40 years before he arrived. The missionary had fallen through a now sealed portal to earth. He is a practicing Christian, but his Christianity ended up mixed with his family's cyantian religion. (Which is not very different in the first place.) The biggest differences are that his family celebrates Easter and Christmas. Especially Christmas.

After his childhood, two events changed Nevix drastically from the relatively easygoing cub that he'd been to a driven power seeker:

First, he was kidnapped and used as a slave by Rama's forces. (He doesn't like to talk about it and he's been asked not to talk about it by Syrys and Alpha anyway.) It did result in at least some time away from family with them powerless to do anything other than search.

Second, barely six months after that kidnapping, a group of bounty hunters sent into mounty lands to kidnap another genoworks creation for a fox merchant decided to make some extra money by grabbing Nevix along with their target. Both had unluckily just met each other and Nevix by chance. Nevix sister Talia was also injured during this kidnapping.

The second kidnapping was far less successful, as Nevix' family had already given him a marker to be able to find him and Nevix had also started learning escape and evasion techniques from wherever he could. (He managed to escape his cell and free the others who were kidnapped. This helped distract the Bounty Hunters at a critical time.) Both Nevix' family and the Mounty Authorities were involved in the rescue and the kidnappers didn't even get near the border before getting caught.

The second kidnapping also introduced Nevix to Tyrus C. Barkstar. A fellow Genoworks product who is a modified Corgi, "Ty" needs to wear a Lift to walk on his hind legs for more than a short time without back pain. Tyrus had been commissioned as an intelligent pet for a noble fox's daughter. Ty didn't like being treated as a living doll and escaped via cunning, stealth and cuteness. It was his bounty that attracted the bounty hunters.

Nevix, having met Quinn and recognizing her as a troublemaker, would try to prank her and often get into prank wars with her for fun. (And practice, though more for fun.) "Often" was typically a couple times a year at most, and nowadays they know each other as former rivals/friends.

Those kidnappings, over the years, made Nevix into a power seeker whose main focus was to become stronger and never get kidnapped again.

Nevix' time in both normal and transitional school went well enough, with Nevix enrolling in martial arts classes and other classes useful to his aspirations of becoming both an expert technomage and to gain power to protect himself and his family. (Talia's injuries were only a few bruised ribs, some regular bruises and a few scrapes, but Nevix partially blames himself.)

Nevix was accepted at about the same time that the Fox Plague happened and was at the academy during the Centralis Teraplex war. His family had some involvement in protecting their own assets and civilians where they could, but Nevix' involvement was nonexistent.

He was accepted into the technomage program at avistary academy, excelled and graduated with honors. However, he spend most of his time training and studying for his schooling and other training with little time for anything else, save a very few friends. One of said friends was an orange female fox technomage named "Nobody", who has a wisp familiar named "Silence". She has no name because she was abandoned during the fox plague (she had an ordinary fever and was saved by the family servants). She'd rather be "Nobody" than continue her family's legacy.

Post graduation, Nevix was hired as security for his Family's business, Starry Night Enterprises. He worked well as security there and quickly rose through the ranks via dedication and skill. To the point that he was assigned to combat training to keep current employees in shape and improve new hire's skills if needed. Nevix was also sometimes deployed as a guard on ship and sometimes on more dangerous missions where trouble was expected, not just cautioned against.

The job consisted of both planning for incidents of theft and piracy, minimizing risk by monitoring pirate activity and maintaining security, and responding to actual attempts at either. There were several unsuccessful tries at kidnapping Nevix again during this time. Painfully unsuccessful.

It was not long after one of these attempts put Nevix and several of his coworkers in the hospital (and the bounty hunters in a different hospital for far longer) that Nevix' family decided to intervene in the growing trend of Nevix only training and having little time for anything else.

"Look, I don't have time to listen to speeches about how I'm training too much, I have a training session to... to... I... am aware of the irony in this situation." *returns to hospital bed* "I need to get some rest. So I'd appreciate it if everyone would give me some peace and quiet. ... Yes, Dad. You, Mom and Talia can stay to talk for a while."

Post intervention, Nevix reduced his active on ship role in his family's company and took on a bigger role training new recruits for the company, including several to fill in the positions that would be vacant from him and his other team members. Nevix also regained contact with friends he'd lost contact with after graduating.

After a few months, the successful training of replacements, and a good bit of professional therapy, Nevix chose to try for a teaching position at Mars Academy. He views Mars Academy as the best place for not only a fresh start, but also for both settling down, making new friends and indulging his now tempered tendency to seek power. It didn't hurt that Tyrus had already moved to the academy and Nobody was also considering the move.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2012, 07:19:56 pm by daemonschile »
I'm ashamed of myself. I didn't realize that Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure was a spoof of Doctor Who until 2011!

Offline Shippou-chan

• King of Foxes & NPCs
  • Administrator
  • Postaholic
  • Chatin Suiter #4
    • View Profile
Re: Nevix Astari
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2012, 05:29:11 pm »
And the results are...  With 2 Yes, 3 No, and 3 Abstains, "Not Yet".

The main complaint was that he was playing as an action/combat character at first, and not willing to allow his character to lose.  Towards the back end of things, this shifted to a play-style most of the fellow players liked.  Alas, it was too late for him to pass this time, but the Nevix of the last week or so should be easier to accept.

Suggestions include making him a teaching assistant and dropping his number of familiars to one, as even small familiars are powerful assets to a character.

One thing to bear in mind with these results.  Nevix is a character with multiple restricted/prestige characteristics, and thus a very difficult character to pass in comparison to a typical character.  Both suggestions would ease this a bit, although as a Technomage AND an EG Skunk, he's still a fairly tall order.  Best of luck.

(If I neglected any point which needs mentioning, message it to me, and I'll be sure to post it here.)
« Last Edit: December 09, 2012, 07:39:44 pm by Shippou-chan »
The Fidael Family - Noiya, Taisha, Rutilus, Rokfriez, and Double-Q
Rifalia Mekiska - Socialite Revolutionary
Leikki Biegle - Painfully Shy Mouse Mechanic
Amala Kanara - Highly Competitive and Mischievous Special Ops Cheetah
Rhiadi Kaelynn - Graduate Level Education Major
Krytus Yami - Intimidating Security Personnel
Jyala Oppa - Cheerful Otter Athlete
Sharib Akhim - Shelved - Proud and Grumpy Ram (but not a bad guy)
Fictional Characters - Such as Ruti might read.

Offline hariman

• Mars RPG Approved
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2012, 09:37:02 pm »
Those were two of the ideas I had to reduce the difficulty of passing Nevix, which I've already mentioned in the OOC thread.

And I'm going to adjust his past to be a little less traumatic.

Truthfully, I'm just relieved right now. I've been worrying about whether or not Nevix would pass for a month, and knowing is a relief.

Like I said in the OOC thread, I'm gonna adjust his profile to make him easier to pass and more fitting to the MARPG.

I had too much fun playing him opposite Renessa and Trinam to not try again. :)
I'm ashamed of myself. I didn't realize that Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure was a spoof of Doctor Who until 2011!

Offline Shippou-chan

• King of Foxes & NPCs
  • Administrator
  • Postaholic
  • Chatin Suiter #4
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2012, 09:41:05 pm »
I'm very happy to hear it.
The Fidael Family - Noiya, Taisha, Rutilus, Rokfriez, and Double-Q
Rifalia Mekiska - Socialite Revolutionary
Leikki Biegle - Painfully Shy Mouse Mechanic
Amala Kanara - Highly Competitive and Mischievous Special Ops Cheetah
Rhiadi Kaelynn - Graduate Level Education Major
Krytus Yami - Intimidating Security Personnel
Jyala Oppa - Cheerful Otter Athlete
Sharib Akhim - Shelved - Proud and Grumpy Ram (but not a bad guy)
Fictional Characters - Such as Ruti might read.

Offline hariman

• Mars RPG Approved
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2012, 09:50:36 pm »
I'm happy to have reached this point by now.

It was a roller coaster sending Nevix through the tryout phase, and I'll be the first to admit I messed up in the start.

Actually, I think I messed up in making him too hard in the first place. Hence the aforementioned changes.

Offline Frost

• Mars RPG Approved
  • Ceiling Cat - Posting Iz Gud
  • Absolute Zero
    • View Profile
    • Mah Buh'ket
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2012, 11:37:03 pm »
Oh well, you survived quite an ordeal. Some people find it fun to watch others squirm.  :P
"Apparently, having common sense and using common sense is an evolutionary leap"

MARPG Aproved:
Tyberisu Frost Luthera, 22, Wolf, Mechanic Leadsman
Mimi Nesolagas 17, Rabbit, student/apprentice/assistant
Odin O'Malley Malius, Feline Cross, 2nd yr Chem. Student/ Janitor
Sgt. Major Abraham Obsidian 25, Black Saber Tooth/Tiger Cross, Security Drill Sargent/Officer
Tokala Toki Velox 29, Gold Fox, Shrink

NPC:
Zeeka Crassadon,
Vaughn & Virgil Orion (Twin Wolves)

The best Villain never lets on he's the bad guy.

Offline hariman

• Mars RPG Approved
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2012, 11:44:19 pm »
Frost, you make it tempting to add a thread where Nevix is making trouble just to target one of your characters next time Nevix goes through registration.

Very. Very. Tempting.

I'll console myself with watching YOU squirm in the Resolution Day thread instead.