Author Topic: Steve Anderson  (Read 10473 times)

Offline Eboreg

• Dumbass
    • View Profile
Re: Steve Anderson
« Reply #45 on: December 07, 2012, 05:58:15 pm »
The MP3 player is not for clearing his mind of all thoughts but of ones that would expose him. Basically, when he's listening to it, he's going through the lyrics in his head and not something like, "OMG I totally iz a spie!!!" Even then, he would still think things like that if he didn't receive mind-clearing training.

I should also note that Steve is kinda BS'ing Krytus there and while that used to be true of him, it's not so much anymore. Autism is so very often dampened by maturity and Steve is very mature(at 32).
"Combat is the crack cocaine of all excitement highs-with crack cocaine costs."
-Karl Marlantes, Vietnam veteran

Offline KJ Fellie

• Mars RPG Approved
  • The Forum Ate My Soul
  • We have cookies...
    • View Profile
    • Ivy Trellis's SL store!
« Reply #46 on: December 08, 2012, 06:23:39 am »
Okay, now I've got a bone to pick about this... I have Asperger's. I function fine without medication, but better with medication (and my medication isn't even FOR Asperger's. It's for ADD and anxiety.). I don't use Asperger's as an excuse for anything. I know it presents me with difficulties, but it is NOT an excuse. I can see how it could be a hindrance, or even dangerous in those fields of work. So someone with a condition like that simply SHOULD NOT DO THAT.
Keijai "KJ Fellie", 20, Fox (orange), genetics student, stylist. Dyes fur. APPROVED room 05-S507 The Spotted Fox
Xi Li Kai, 17, Rifier, linguistics student. APPROVED room 04-N440
Carrie Foxx, 16?, caracal mounty, AMIB agent (captured) APPROVED
Yanoi Lacroix, 20, Fennec, Student/scientist (technomage science) APPROVED room 08-S273 @Yanoi_Lacroix
Fur Affinity ~ Weasyl ~ Deviant Art
Also: ShivaeWiki!

Offline Renessa

• The Hiberno-Norse Bard
  • Administrator
  • The Forum Ate My Soul
  • Damnit, Hadvar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 08, 2012, 06:33:59 am »
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ALL OF WHAT KJ SAID.

He is clearly still thinking "Oh crap, hope I don't get caught!" as stated in your own play while the music is running.  There is still such a thing as unconscious thought and impulses.  The mp3 player is a fantasy.

But you know what?  I've tried to help, I even tried to be gentle and understanding in the beginning and help correct some of your responses and ideas, and now I and others have tried being blunt, but I am 100% DONE with your inability to listen, your callous disrespect for others, their wisdom, their knowledge, and their opinions and I am DONE with your self delusions and arrogance.  Every single problem you've had since you got here has been a direct result of your bad attitude and bad behavior.  And I'm done with it.

The attitude and behavior of the player is just as important as the character in registration.  I've come to the conclusion I do not ever want to play with you now or in the future and I would not wish you on any of the other players.  I will never be voting yes on any of your characters should they manage to finish planning.  All characters need a certain amount of mod votes.  Congratulations, you just lost one forever.
Trinam "Toast" Orinu/Mounty (Serval-Oncilla mix)/18/2nd year Biomechanical Engineering student
Soida Hopea/Fox (blue)/31/Music Professor
Tejaswi Calumb/Equine/20/2nd year Whitesmith and Art minor
Fejin Majinai/Taboa/19/2nd year Music major, Martial Artist
Sriek Denae/Wolf/28/Professor of Voice Performance, part time Speech Therapist

Forum progenitor of just about everything dark/mature.
devArt

Offline Eboreg

• Dumbass
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 08, 2012, 07:34:10 am »
@KJ: I understand that as I have Asperger's myself. However, I also understand that there are many things that are wrong with me. I will not tell of the many mental breakdowns I've had that sometimes included property damage. However, I will note that often times, the sooner I admitted that there actually was a problem and told people about it, the better.

@Renessa: I do not understand your anger with me. I've tried to state my beliefs and match them up with the community. The main problem with the MP3 player is that I don't see an alternative and Steve will very easily get caught if he doesn't have some way of keeping the psychics out of his mind. I will happily listen to alternatives from the community.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2012, 07:37:28 am by Eboreg »

Offline Shippou-chan

• King of Foxes & NPCs
  • Administrator
  • Postaholic
  • Chatin Suiter #4
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 08, 2012, 07:45:55 am »
Spoke with Syke yesterday during the stream, and according to her, the only known psychics are Sirac.  Not even technomages can emulate telepathic abilities.

And I'm sorry, but music in the head isn't enough to keep a Sirac out if they want in.  (Fortunately, Sirac are also rare, and not all of them manifest telepathic abilities, such as thought reading and dream-walking.)

My comments on Steve thus far:  He seems geared towards some sort of action storyline, such as you'd find in a Suspense movie.  The emphasis of MARPG is light social play, with minimal impact on anything that would be a major storyline for Campus Safari.  Certainly there is room for some drama, but that drama will tend to be interpersonal in nature.

This misalignment of emphasis makes Steve a hard fit.  And without extensive field training, he is ill-equipped to serve AMIB's needs on Mars.
The Fidael Family - Noiya, Taisha, Rutilus, Rokfriez, and Double-Q
Rifalia Mekiska - Socialite Revolutionary
Leikki Biegle - Painfully Shy Mouse Mechanic
Amala Kanara - Highly Competitive and Mischievous Special Ops Cheetah
Rhiadi Kaelynn - Graduate Level Education Major
Krytus Yami - Intimidating Security Personnel
Jyala Oppa - Cheerful Otter Athlete
Sharib Akhim - Shelved - Proud and Grumpy Ram (but not a bad guy)
Fictional Characters - Such as Ruti might read.

Offline KJ Fellie

• Mars RPG Approved
  • The Forum Ate My Soul
  • We have cookies...
    • View Profile
    • Ivy Trellis's SL store!
« Reply #50 on: December 08, 2012, 07:53:12 am »
While the idea is intriguing, and I had even considered it myself with Carrie, I simply do not see Steve as a passable character. I would recommend you pursue your fox, Ignus, as he is much closer to actualization than Steve. Frankly, I was somewhat disappointed that you chose to use Steve in the RP as opposed to Ignus. *shrug*
Keijai "KJ Fellie", 20, Fox (orange), genetics student, stylist. Dyes fur. APPROVED room 05-S507 The Spotted Fox
Xi Li Kai, 17, Rifier, linguistics student. APPROVED room 04-N440
Carrie Foxx, 16?, caracal mounty, AMIB agent (captured) APPROVED
Yanoi Lacroix, 20, Fennec, Student/scientist (technomage science) APPROVED room 08-S273 @Yanoi_Lacroix
Fur Affinity ~ Weasyl ~ Deviant Art
Also: ShivaeWiki!

Offline HEX the Dark

• Mars RPG Approved
  • philosopher in sheep's clothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 08, 2012, 09:07:53 am »
The only thing I could say going with Steve would be a spy hunt and in the end his uncovering, followed by his tries to fit in and deal with a) his failure and b) the fact that he's separated from his wife and kids forever.
HEX der Dunkle
Aries et Lupus
sorry for the bad english

Offline Eboreg

• Dumbass
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 08, 2012, 09:33:27 am »
@KJ: I actually planned Ignus as the fox that Steve "rescued" from the AMIB. The reason that I didn't use Ignus was an in-universe decision, not an out-of-universe one. Simply put, Ignus was in the med-bay because of a broken leg.

@HEX: Actually, I was planning for Steve to realize that something was up and eventually defect.

Also, I don't think people realize how dime-a-dozen spies actually are. The purpose of spies is to blend into the background and take note of everything around them. The purpose of spies is NOT to sneak into top-secret areas and find incriminating files. The best way to listen into top secret conversations is to turn someone who is privy to them, which the AMIB doesn't have access to.

Offline daemonschile

• Administrator
  • The Forum Ate My Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 08, 2012, 11:04:30 am »
The main problem with the MP3 player is that I don't see an alternative and Steve will very easily get caught if he doesn't have some way of keeping the psychics out of his mind. I will happily listen to alternatives from the community.

That IS his problem... the only mind readers are the Siracs, and it's unknown how much or even if the AMIB has had contact with them, so any training he's had to prevent it isn't going to work since they have no means to determine if anything does work, and a catchy song in his head isn't going to stop every thought he has.  It would be better if he didn't know of psychics on Mars at all and was basically 'Oh Squid!' when he found out.

@KJ: I actually planned Ignus as the fox that Steve "rescued" from the AMIB. The reason that I didn't use Ignus was an in-universe decision, not an out-of-universe one. Simply put, Ignus was in the med-bay because of a broken leg.

@HEX: Actually, I was planning for Steve to realize that something was up and eventually defect.

Also, I don't think people realize how dime-a-dozen spies actually are. The purpose of spies is to blend into the background and take note of everything around them. The purpose of spies is NOT to sneak into top-secret areas and find incriminating files. The best way to listen into top secret conversations is to turn someone who is privy to them, which the AMIB doesn't have access to.

It's a really really bad idea to link your characters together before any of them have been approved.  By doing so it means people might be more hesitant to accept one character knowing another character they don't like could tag along as an NPC.   And should you really be excluding the character more likely to come into play first?

And you're argument about the purpose of spies being not to sneak into top-secret areas and find incriminating files?  You're having him sneak into top-secret areas looking for incriminating files.  And the best way being to listen into top secret conversations?  You've pretty much stated he doesn't have the social skills to do that.

Try reading your play again and see if you can find it.  if you can't, you have a big problem to work on.

Just curious, did you look and see it?
Prenna D'tella/17/Calico/Veterinary Student
Shyssa Wynd/19/Jilaic/Human Studies

Offline HEX the Dark

• Mars RPG Approved
  • philosopher in sheep's clothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 08, 2012, 11:36:19 am »
" The purpose of spies is to blend into the background " for that, you need to be highly social adaptable, and NOT not good with people.
HEX der Dunkle
Aries et Lupus
sorry for the bad english

Offline Eboreg

• Dumbass
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 08, 2012, 11:44:44 am »
After some very serious consideration, I have decided that MARPG is really not for me. My main problem is that I see role-playing as doing something other than just try to live life and interact with people, it involves some deep storyline with grand consequences. After reading through what everyone else thinks of Mars Academy, I have concluded that it is mainly focused on living life and interacting with people and that's not the experience I want. I'm sorry but I'm withdrawing both of my characters from consideration and will never submit another one.

Offline Shippou-chan

• King of Foxes & NPCs
  • Administrator
  • Postaholic
  • Chatin Suiter #4
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 08, 2012, 11:56:12 am »
That is the main focus of MARPG.  You are correct.  We like to leave the big storyline stuff to Syke.

I would like to add that there isn't anything wrong with action-based roleplaying, where larger consequences are a major part of the roleplay.  A number of our forumites are involved in various traditional roleplaying, including Pathfinder/AD&D, and they seem to enjoy it immensely.

It just doesn't fit in well here, on a campus where it seems that whatever happens, life goes on, so you do your best to enjoy the ride.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2012, 12:31:23 pm by Shippou-chan »
The Fidael Family - Noiya, Taisha, Rutilus, Rokfriez, and Double-Q
Rifalia Mekiska - Socialite Revolutionary
Leikki Biegle - Painfully Shy Mouse Mechanic
Amala Kanara - Highly Competitive and Mischievous Special Ops Cheetah
Rhiadi Kaelynn - Graduate Level Education Major
Krytus Yami - Intimidating Security Personnel
Jyala Oppa - Cheerful Otter Athlete
Sharib Akhim - Shelved - Proud and Grumpy Ram (but not a bad guy)
Fictional Characters - Such as Ruti might read.