Author Topic: Travis Moore at Mars Academy  (Read 1819 times)

Offline Eboreg

• Dumbass
    • View Profile
Travis Moore at Mars Academy
« on: September 09, 2012, 04:22:48 pm »
Now that Tiff has decided to move on to the new Campus Safari, I decided to give where I see Travis Moore at that time.

Interviewer: Thanks for meeting with me today, I just wanted to thank you for your great contributions to Cyantia and have wanted to set the record straight.

Travis: Thank you for inviting me. Where should we start?

I: First off, I want to talk about your hatred for the so-called "90 Committee". Cyantian leaders have tried negotiating with them but many of your proposals deal with undermining or destroying them. Where did this come from?

T: It started off as simply wanting to tell people the truth. However, after they blocked the transmission and tried to arrest me, I began to see them in a more violent light. Their tactics seemed to be ... well ... I'm not going to Godwin this meeting with my opinions.

I: But with so many members on the team, surely one of them would come forward.

T: Thanks to whole furor over the Roswell Incident, which I should note, was started by known attention whore, no one would believe them. Also, of the thousands of people in X-COM's employ, only about 30 of them know of the atrocities they've committed and only about 5 know that they are working without government approval. Not to mention that X-COM's leaders come down very hard on suspected recalcitrance. It's like some mix between an organized crime family and a fascist state.

I: If they are working without government approval, how do they fund their operations.

T: They mostly do so through a Private Security Corporation, FoxFire. Bit of an inside joke I guess. However, they have been known to license alien technology.

I: What kind of technology?

T: Well, for example, there's this one less-than-lethal weapon on Earth called "Stun Strike". It basically shoots a bolt of lightning that takes down the target.

I: Where did that technology come from?

T: Actually, it come from genetic studies.

I: Why do you call them X-COM anyway?

T: It's based on a name they called themselves in a strategy game they released about their work in the '90s.

I: Wait, they released a game detailing what they did?

T: Admittedly, it modeled full-scale hostilities at a time when contact was mostly peaceful. However, the fear of retribution was hanging over their heads. They actually funded the game as well as a lot of other "alien contact" pop culture at the time in order to skew the public's perception against any possible leaks, to make it less believable.

I: Can you enlighten us a little more about 90's thought processes?

T: X-COM is actually quite crazy paranoid. There are many instances in Terran literature of aliens subverting human society in many ways, including ways that include first contact. The Moulin Phedra's agenda is characteristic of many Terran fears about extra-terrestrial life. You just don't know. However, while this was always an underlying fear, the Rashoun regime managed to bring it all to the fore. Earth was in the middle of some major Fox trade routes which inevitably led to some contact. Rashoun wanted to aggressively protect these trade routes leading to very open hostilities with X-COM. He also began running a slave trade out of tropical Africa. Fortunately, this was short-lived but X-COM still has files about it that are constantly referenced.

I: But the Rashoun regime has been dead for 8 years.

T: True. Even before then, I tried to convince X-COM that the Cyantians were actually friendly, that's another reason I made the Mojave Prison Raid a human operation and tried to leave behind an ultra-patriotic message, which really wasn't that far from the truth. I also left behind a quantum communicator plugged into their network to give us more up to date intel about them. It certainly helped keep an eye on the spies we took in.

I: Spies?

T: Some of the recalcitrant agents we freed during the raid turned around and started feeding information back to base. I actually let this happen because I felt that X-COM needed a source more reliable than a known terrorist to alleviate their fears. It actually did seem to work at first.

I: What happened?

T: X-COM found out about the SIGINT source right before the Centralis-Teraplex war meaning we didn't know about their arms deal with Rama until it was too late. After it was started, I felt that the spies were a liability due to X-COM's connections with Rama and took them out.

I: Wouldn't they have worked better as double agents?

T: Doing that would have played into every one of X-COM's worst fears. It would have also invalidated all of the earlier information that they had sent. As it happened, the Centralis-Teraplex War got too entangled with the Sino- and Russo-American Wars to make any difference.

I: Explain.

T: After the Centralis government assassinated key figures in X-COM in retaliation, the Tiballean Rebels turned to the Chinese and Russian goverments to secure more arms deals. The situation can be best described as one war with six factions, the Centralis Government in exile, the Tiballean Rebels, NATO, Russia, China, and X-COM. Centralis cooperated with some lower-tier units in NATO to cut off the arms flow to the Tiballean Rebels while X-COM sought to remove all alien collaboration. Meanwhile, NATO was supporting Chinese rebels who were chafing under an inefficient and oppressive government while Russia was trying to take advantage of the situation eventually leading to an invasion by NATO.

I: What about the nuclear threat?

T: It was by this time that nuclear weapon defenses were at such a state as to prevent any use of nukes against vital areas. However, tactical nukes were used by both China and Russia as a desperation move.

I: What was your role in the Centralis-Teraplex War?

T: After the opening of hostilities, I offered Philanthropy as a special forces unit under Centralis command. They were to be called the Terran-Cyantian Cooperation Task Force or TCCTF. I actually served in a couple of TCCTF battles myself but my propensity to freak out under fire caused me to be called back and work on issues of cyberwarfare.

I: What role did the TCCTF take throughout the war?

T: Early on, they managed to gain commendation after commendation but their use of projectile weapons tended to get on some nerves in upper command.

I: But why didn't you run into trouble after the rebels got some decent armor.

T: After it became apparent that the rebels were better equipped, we rushed into production the Terra Nova assault rifle, an AR-15 derivative that fires 7.62 NATO rounds from a side-loading 30-round magazine. We also started using Raufoss armor-piercing incendiary ammunition. After a while, the TCCTF was recalled and placed in an advisory role.

I: How did that go?

T: Not good at first. Turns out that humans are genetically predisposed to be good shots while Cyantians aren't. This was one of the reasons why the Centralis military adopted energy weapons, no ballistic trajectory, no bullet travel. Unfortunately, no full-auto either. However, our advice was very well listened to.

I: Did the TCCTF get its own lifts?

T: Yes but they had minimal protection. Could only really work against shrapnel, IEDs, bites, and lasers. However, they did steady the aim of the wearers, contain their scent, and use optic camouflage, special issue from DARPA.

I: You do have some bad marks on your service record. For example, it was said that you acted unprofessionally on several occasions during the Fox Plague.

T: I thought we agreed not to go over that again!

I: It also says that the TCCTF constantly used malodorants specifically targeted towards Cyantians.

T: All's fair in love and war.

I: There are also multiple reports of cannibalism.

T: Look, we'd been abandoned by upper command and enemy bodies were in large supply. What can I say?

I: There's also an incident where you used "Bitch in Heat" smell as bait for a trap.

T: I don't want to talk about it.

I: What do you do now?

T: I'm still working in the cyber-security business. It's actually a rather interesting story. I was offered technomage training but decided to turn it down.

I: Why?

T: Well, I never liked the idea of computer chips connected to the brain because of the security implications. I decided to do an audit before I made a decision.

I: How did that turn out?

T: Not good. Turns out the nature of their deployment makes it almost impossible to fix security issues post-deployment. Any Terran cyber-security expert realizes the inherent danger in this. Suffice to say that a technomage's mind is in more danger from a hacker than a normal person's mind is in danger from a technomage.

I: About 90, what do you think is the best tactic for approaching them.

T: First off, we need more intel. Centralis has been unwilling to authorize another intel foray after the Centralis-Teraplex war. It's been a real obstacle to our operations.

I: Wouldn't spying on them draw some negative attention?

T: It would help us understand how they think now and how best to pacify and/or undermine them.

I: How would you feel about letting their spies into, say, Mars Academy.

T: That would be too dangerous a prospect.

I: What are our chances of pacifying them?

T: I highly doubt that we'd be able to.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2012, 02:32:02 pm by Eboreg »
"Combat is the crack cocaine of all excitement highs-with crack cocaine costs."
-Karl Marlantes, Vietnam veteran

Offline HEX the Dark

• Mars RPG Approved
  • philosopher in sheep's clothing
    • View Profile
Re: Travis Moore at Mars Academy
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2012, 01:12:52 pm »
Impressive, but I'm not sure of O can follow you.
HEX der Dunkle
Aries et Lupus
sorry for the bad english

Offline Eboreg

• Dumbass
    • View Profile
Re: Travis Moore at Mars Academy
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2012, 05:05:02 pm »
@Hex: What is it you can't follow?
"Combat is the crack cocaine of all excitement highs-with crack cocaine costs."
-Karl Marlantes, Vietnam veteran