Author Topic: technomages  (Read 1973 times)

Offline Gifted

• Mars RPG Approved
  • ricochette suitor
    • View Profile
    • Fabbersmith
technomages
« on: June 10, 2012, 08:20:33 am »
Babylon 5 is one of those shows I never got to see much of, but was sure I would have enjoyed.
http://youtu.be/XrCQ2j7cy60
Monahan "Moe" Gladius
24/male wolf/red
Supply

Offline Lillowen

• Mars RPG Approved
  • Bunnyfox
    • View Profile
Re: technomages
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2012, 03:08:05 pm »
Ahh, B5 Technomages.  Definitely interesting.  Cybernetics, based on of all things Shadow technology, though made apparently safe.  Implants are involved, though how extensive is not quite mentioned.  Covered in some limited depth in Crusade, the sequel to Babylon 5.

I admit, I wonder if it had any influence on the technomages in Cyantian Chronicles, though their capabilities seem far far greater than those of B5.  Once you can do matter to energy / energy to matter conversion, and "side-changing" energy (one form of energy to another), well, you're talking some really REALLY physics-defying stuff here.  "Reality needs a patch." kinda stuff.  The B5 Technomages seemed to have limits of what was possible, though it was still, for the setting, VERY impressive.
The whole history of science has been the gradual realization that events do not happen in an arbitrary manner, but that they reflect a certain underlying order, which may or may not be divinely inspired.  --Stephen W. Hawking : "A Brief History of Time"

Some people are like slinkys They aren't good for anything but you just can't help but smile when you see them tumbling down the stairs.

Offline hariman

• Mars RPG Approved
  • I look forward to it with glee and trepidation!
    • View Profile
Re: technomages
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2012, 09:11:33 pm »
Well, Cyantian Technomage technology IS based on Rumuah tech, which includes devices that can increase the mass in a planet's core to terraform a planet.

Plus, there's the Three Sisters, who are technomages that wield the OLD original technomage implants, who are regarded as being not far off of goddesses.
I'm ashamed of myself. I didn't realize that Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure was a spoof of Doctor Who until 2011!