Author Topic: Nevix Astari  (Read 10883 times)

Offline hariman

• Mars RPG Approved
  • I look forward to it with glee and trepidation!
    • View Profile
Nevix Astari
« on: October 28, 2011, 12:02:44 am »
Full Name: Nevix Astari
Species: Genoworks Skunk
Type: Technomage
Function: Teacher: Wilderness Survival/Advanced Combat (Standard)/Advanced Combat for Technomages

Quotes:
"Oh? You thought that would work on me? I haven't fallen for that one in years!"
"Unfortunately, or perhaps fortunately, my dreams and ambitions of having a full sized Acid Whip familiar have gone unfulfilled."
"Ok, so I am lucky. I just never said it was good luck!"
"Oh, please do take that first swing at me. I'd LOVE to toss you into the nearest fountain for fun!"
"Heh. I said RECOVERING power seeker. Not retired or failed."

How much experience do you have with role-playing? How much time have you spent on MUSHs/MUXs/etc.? Not much. I've followed the MARPG from time to time, but I haven't actually played. I do have several years of D&D experience in both home campaigns and in the Living Greyhawk campaign.

What things does he like? Icefruit, honing his skills, certain genres of books, games and vids hold his interest well. (Action, Comedy and Drama of the better varieties are his favorites. Need better detail here.) FREEDOM!, anything cute and cuddly (though he's not one to show that in public), and Icefruit.

He's developed an interest in Terran culture and media of all types. Including Terran martial arts.

Dislike? Bounty Hunters, especially those who retrieve Genoworks Exotica escapees, Genoworks Exotica itself, slavers, pacifists who wouldn't raise a fist to protect themselves (because he will, at least learn how to escape!), anyone who would even take an innocent hostage or attack innocents to gain an advantage in a fight, anyone who would attack someone close to him to get at him, cruelty to animals and "Escaped Experiment" vids, (Being an escaped experiment means he identifies with the protagonist too much.) Oh, and Rama Tibal.

What are the strong points of your character?
He's mentally very strong and clearheaded, deliberately so.  He's driven to be the best at what he chooses to do. He's also developed a certain amount of flexibility, so when he encounters a roadblock to progress, he'll often try a different approach. He's also incredibly hard to rattle via fear, as he's lived his worst fear of being kidnapped to be either a slave or sold back to Genoworks.

Weak points?
He was obsessive to a fault, especially about getting stronger and better able to defend himself (His family actually staged an intervention to keep him from getting too power obsessed.) and he's only now working on making that better. He's also socially several years behind where he would normally be because of that. He also has an arrogant streak born from confidence in his abilities actually being very good.

Name one thing your character would never do and why. Use someone as a slave. He's been through it and he'd never inflict it on someone else.

How does he interact with others? Not as well as he'd like. His obsessive tendencies have left him less than experienced with people. He can be blunt and rude, even though he doesn't mean to. He prefers to NOT use his technomagery as a way to make up the difference, as he knows (and was told) that technomagery would be a crutch.

He can be cynical and snarky at times. His dealings with pirates, thieves and bounty hunters (as well as kidnappers) have left their mark on him.

He has improved lately, though not as much as he'd like, having spent time preparing

What are their abilities, hobbies, things they're good at? He's spent much of his student and working life training to be the best Technomage possible, including both close and long range combat that doesn't involve technomage abilities. He's a passable cook, He also likes learning about anything and everything he can. He's also a very accomplished prankster who used to get into regular prank wars with Quinn Akaelae. And win. (He's grown out of the pranking phase and is more likely to either give advice or disrupt the pranking, depending on who is involved.) He likes playing Gravball and he loves the holographic shooting gallery seen in Campus Safari.

Tools of the trade (including weapons) His own body and skills. His technomage abilities, including his familiars Spiral and Hammer. A personal favorite set of knives and a pair of hand axes that "...I always have, Rayne." (He does not expect to need them at the Academy, he's just not going to leave home unarmed.) He also carries the rough equivalent of a taser/hand stunner, as it's more expedient than using his technomage abilities to stun someone.

Nevix also keeps several subspace storage devices with him. One for tools and supplies. A backup of the first. And a third that has spare clothes. LOTS of spare clothes.

Lastly, he tends to wear discreet armor under his clothes, even if he really doesn't expect to need it, he's still just a bit cautious about being defenseless.

Give an example description of your character.
Nevix is 5' 10". He's a Black furred skunk with "bruise blue" stripes. His build is average, but well toned due to constant training. His face more resembles a terran skunk than normal. He also has almost no natural scent, as his "scent" is actually a deodorizer. (He was considered a failure as he's not very handsome by Genoworks standards and nobody wanted a deodorizer that had to drop his pants to do his job.)

He's often seen with his pet Gryphon Avalanche, a large grey and white northern gryphon. Avalanche has been his favorite pet and companion since he first met his family after escaping from Genoworks Exotica. She's very well trained and loves both children and other people. She's named for her size and her former tendency to bowl people over. She tends to be better behaved now.

Why is it essential to your character to be here in the Mars Academy? He wants to be there. Mars Academy also has friends of his and it's a place to settle down for him as well as providing an outlet for his need to become stronger. (More in his character description.)

What are their qualifications? He really is one of the best technomages out there. He's also had a significant amount of experience working as a "Troubleshooter" for his Uncle's/Cousin's merchant business. (In reality, it's just a security job similar to a Border Guard, only just focused on his family's assets and a few others who hired them. He just likes to play it up.) He also knows a good bit about tracking and wilderness survival from his father and immediate family and has enough knowledge about his Uncle's shipping/mercantile business to be the on site inspector for the Mars Academy branch of Starry Night Merchant's Inc.

What traits do they have that are useful to the future colony? He's good at teaching some of his skills to students, even if he does sometimes fall back on, if not start with, "Kick them around the sparring ring and tell them what they're doing wrong till they get it right." He could also moonlight in special ops and security, given his skills and prior experience working for family. (Currently, there's no official Spec Ops position for Nevix.)

Nevix is also willing to teach Wilderness Survival as a regular class help in normal martial arts and close combat classes as a sparring partner.

What are their goals in being here? He views Mars Academy as a place he can settle down and finally relax a bit. He also wants to make some new friends and possibly start a family. He's not really looking for someone though. He has a someone he's dated with before who might or might not join him at some point.

He's also being paid to regularly audit and monitor the Mars Academy branch of Starry Night Merchants Inc.

What is your characters nature and thoughts on others of his/her species? We're rare! That's why we skunks are either lucky to find another skunk, or we search for a mounty or rabbit to settle down with. Heck, I don't think I know OF  more than a half dozen other C-group skunks. The only ones I recall meeting in person are Chatin and Cilke Akaelae, and that's because they helped Quinn pick on me a couple times.

What is his or her view on other species?
Nevix views Mounties, Wolves, Mice and Humans favorably, as he's lived with them during his time growing up in Mounty Territory.
Most other species, the Native Cyantians like the aquatics, digni, rabbits, terran humans and so on are viewed neutrally.
Fox and Avisterians are mildly distrusted, but Nevix has met enough that it's not often noticeable. (Both were involved in attempts to sell him back to genoworks.)

All people he meets are judged on their own merits, their species doesn't really matter that much to Nevix.

Please answer the following in a couple paragraphs: What is your character's history? Who is or was your characters family? What were the important events of your characters past? What kind of life did they have before they arrived at the academy?

Nevix was created at Genoworks as "Cendal" at about the same time as the other C-Group Skunks. He was, however, considered a massive failure for his lack of scent and deodorizing abilities. Following an accident where Nevix broke his leg, an another incident where his arm was broken by another genoworks creation (one that couldn't control his scent and always smelled bad) he was isolated and kept as a pet project by the geneticist who created him.

This was a move to protect Nevix from simply being taken by the Fox Military and possibly killed by the training, This was partly because the broken limbs interfered with his accelerated growth, causing it to speed up and slow down as special treatment was needed to keep regulate Nevix growth. It was also a move to spite the Fox Military, which Nevix knew from the start. (Nevix isn't ungrateful for this.) Nevix was also forced to accelerate his studies to make up for lost time and to keep him from the Military.

During Nevix' last days at Genoworks, he was transferred to the punishment section "To save space" and was told that his geneticist would "Pick him back up again soon.". Which led to a tense and frightening time among others who were being constantly taken for experiments and were often heard screaming and crying through the cell doors. (Nevix views the "To Save Space" story as BS and has had lasting emotional damage from this period of time.)

Nevix escaped from Genoworks at the same time as Cere, Syrys and the others, using the confusion to escape into the cold while deliberately avoiding the trails of other escapees.

After several days traveling away from Genoworks, (including a lucky find of a patch of Icefruit so he wasn't starving), Nevix heard someone talking at the bottom of a short ridge. And promptly fell down the ridge into his new family.

The wolf and gryphon he fell onto were Arix Astari and his pet northern gryphon Avalanche. Arix took Nevix home to his wife Laurel and his daughter Talia. Talia immediately took to Nevix as a little brother, and both Laurel and Arix took to him as a son no long after. Adopting Nevix and giving him the name Nevix Astari (After Arix Father.) in the process.

Nevix' life with his new family was idyllic, but marred by the fact that times were too fallow for the family to stay at their cabin. So they moved to Gralen Cragg Hall with Arix' brother Nevan, his wife Mariel and their son, a black wolf cub also named Nevix.

After a few months of Nevix the Skunk (Nevix) and Nevix the Wolf adjusting to living with each other, things settled down and life became fairly normal. The greatest problem he had to deal with was aging faster than his classmates and sometimes being clumsy because his accelerated aging wasn't consistent.

As a side note: Nevix was raised as a Christian, as his family was converted to Christianity a good 40 years before he arrived. The missionary had fallen through one of the portals to earth, and not long after the portal was noted and sealed off. This means little difference between Nevix and a normal religious Cyantian. The biggest differences are that his family celebrates Easter and Christmas. Especially Christmas.

After his childhood, two events changed Nevix drastically from the relatively easygoing cub that he'd been to a driven power seeker:

First, he was kidnapped and used as a slave by Rama's forces. (He doesn't like to talk about it and he's been asked not to talk about it by Syrys and Alpha.) It did result in at least some time away from family with them powerless to do anything other than search.

Second, barely six months after that kidnapping, a group of bounty hunters sent into mounty lands to kidnap another genoworks creation for a fox merchant decided to make some extra money by grabbing Nevix and another genoworks creation. Both had unluckily just met each other and Nevix by chance. Nevix sister Talia was also injured during this kidnapping.

The second kidnapping was far less successful, as Nevix' family had already given him a marker to be able to find him and Nevix had also started learning escape and evasion techniques from where ever he could. (He didn't fully escape, but he managed to at least get himself and the others out of their cells so that the bounty hunters couldn't just grab them and take an escape pod to try to run. They were on the bounty hunters ship at the time.) Both Nevix' family and the Mounty Authorities were involved in the rescue and the kidnappers didn't even make it near the border before getting caught.

These incidents, over the years, made Nevix into a power seeker whose main focus was to become stronger and never get taken again.

The second kidnapping also introduced Nevix to Tyrus C. Barkstar. A fellow Genoworks product who is a modified Corgi, "Ty" needs to wear a Lift to walk on his hind legs for more than a short time without back pain. Tyrus had been commissioned as an intelligent pet for a noble fox's daughter. Ty didn't like being treated as a living doll and escaped via cunning, stealth and cuteness. It was his bounty that attracted the bounty hunters.

Nevix, having met Quinn and recognizing her as a troublemaker, would try to prank her and often get into prank wars with her for fun. (And practice, though more for fun.) "Often" was typically a couple times a year at most, and nowadays they know each other as former rivals/friends.

Nevix' time in both normal and transitional school went well enough, with Nevix enrolling in martial arts classes and other classes useful to his aspirations of becoming both an expert technomage and to gain power to protect himself and his family. (Talia's injuries were only a few bruised ribs, some regular bruises and a few scrapes, but Nevix partially blames himself.)

He was accepted into the technomage program at avistary academy, excelled and graduated with honors. However, he spend most of his time training and studying for his schooling and other training with little time for anything else, save a very few friends. One of said friends was an orange female fox technomage named "Nobody", who has a wisp familiar named "Silence". She has no name because she was abandoned during the fox plague and hated her family anyway. She'd rather be "Nobody" than continue her family's legacy.

Post graduation, Nevix was hired as security for his Family's business, Starry Night Merchant's Inc. He worked well as security there and quickly rose through the ranks via dedication and skill. To the point that he was assigned to combat training to keep current employees in shape and improve new hire's skills if needed. Nevix was also sometimes deployed on more dangerous missions where trouble was expected, not just cautioned against.

The job consisted of both planning for incidents of theft and piracy, minimizing risk by monitoring pirate activity and maintaining security, and responding to actual attempts at either.

There were several unsuccessful tries at kidnapping Nevix again during this time. Painfully unsuccessful.

It was not long after one of these attempts put Nevix and several of his coworkers in the hospital (and the bounty hunters in a different hospital for far longer) that Nevix' family decided to intervene in the growing trend of Nevix only training and having little time for anything else.

"Look, I don't have time to listen to speeches about how I'm training too much, I have a training session to... to... I... am aware of the irony in this situation." *returns to hospital bed* "I need to get some rest. So I'd appreciate it if everyone would give me some peace and quiet. ... Yes, Dad. You, Mom and Talia can stay to talk for a while."

Post intervention, Nevix reduced his active on ship role in his family's company and took on a bigger role training new recruits for the company, including several to fill in the positions that would be vacant from him and his other team members. Nevix also regained contact with friends he'd lost contact with after graduating.

After a few months and the successful training of replacements, Nevix chose to try for a teaching position at Mars Academy, as he views Mars Academy as the best place for not only a fresh start, but also for both settling down, making new friends and indulging his now tempered tendency to seek power.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2011, 12:14:54 am by hariman »
I'm ashamed of myself. I didn't realize that Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure was a spoof of Doctor Who until 2011!

Offline hariman

• Mars RPG Approved
    • View Profile
Re: Nevix Astari
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2011, 12:09:11 am »
So, yeah. I've finally decided to try and join the MARPG. To be honest, Nevix is really the only character I'd like to play as a character at all.

I don't really have anyone else I want to play, so I'm going with him. I do understand that I've made it harder on myself by making him both a genoworks skunk and a technomage, but, that's part of why it's taken me so long to want to join. I've been considering it for a while and now is the only time I've felt comfortable ironing out a full profile for him for play.

Oops! I almost forgot a couple things. (His tendency to wear discreet armor and that he'd rather not need to use any of his abilities and skills at the academy.) EDIT: Added! Under "Tools of the trade"

I'm not sure where to add a note that states how small his connection to the Akaelaes and the Mounty Royalty really is. He only really knows Quinn. And that's as a rival prankster who occasionally asked her friends for help. So Nevix has probably met various other Akaelaes as well as Silver and her fellow princesses. But any connection to them is likely only on a "Oh, you're that skunk who could prank Quinn and win." or "Oh, I still owe you a pie in the face from the last time your prank wars ended up covering me in gunk." or even "Oh, you're that guy who beeped Celina's nose on a bet and lived to tell about it." (He ran and hid. Very fast. Along a winding and very well planned route that Celina could barely follow. And even then, it might be just a rumor and not an actual event.)

But really, even his connection with Quinn isn't all that strong, as he hasn't seen her in years before heading to Mars Academy. So she recognizes him as a former friend and rival, but not much else. The most I can see happening is Nevix and Quinn chatting and teasing each other about the good ol' days when they still got into prank wars, some possible sparring and possibly plotting the occasional prank together.

Also, Silver might not even want Nevix as part of Spec Ops, as he's directly connected to a merchant company and that might not be an asset in her mind.

Oh, and last of all: I have given this a good bit of thought and I already decided not to make Nevix a member of security, he's also not connected to spec ops deliberately, and I already took out having "Escape and Evasion" as one of the classes he teaches. Two connected combat courses and wilderness survival are more than enough, especially with having to ride herd on the technomage students.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2011, 12:35:15 am by hariman »
I'm ashamed of myself. I didn't realize that Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure was a spoof of Doctor Who until 2011!

Offline Renessa

• The Hiberno-Norse Bard
  • Administrator
  • The Forum Ate My Soul
  • Damnit, Hadvar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2011, 12:26:17 pm »
So far so good!

We should probably comb the rules thoroughly to make sure how many restrict slots he needs.  I'm not sure of anything, or trusting my memory on this right now (posting at work so trying to be quick about my down time) but he could need two.  Hopefully not, but it is a possibility.

His history seems very jumbled and disjointed to me, like there are lots of hops between time and things are missing or covered in too much detail.  It would be good to go through and streamline, organize, and clarify things - just about everything you said afterward should probably have a place somewhere in his profile if not his history.  Some of the other sections could do with some of the same.

Should probably check your ages/dates against the timeline in the wiki.  I want to think Chatin and Cilke's actual age - as in chronological with no accounting for accelerated aging - in CS is 14 or 15 with obviously the intelligence/appearance of a 20-25 year old.  Nevix would have to be an early prototype to be 22.  If you took that angle it could better explain why he was a "mistake/failure", but then that shoots a toe off the foot of his history.  Shifting the actual age would be easier (uneven aging could still explain looking 30) and wouldn't damage the history.
Trinam "Toast" Orinu/Mounty (Serval-Oncilla mix)/18/2nd year Biomechanical Engineering student
Soida Hopea/Fox (blue)/31/Music Professor
Tejaswi Calumb/Equine/20/2nd year Whitesmith and Art minor
Fejin Majinai/Taboa/19/2nd year Music major, Martial Artist
Sriek Denae/Wolf/28/Professor of Voice Performance, part time Speech Therapist

Forum progenitor of just about everything dark/mature.
devArt

Offline hariman

• Mars RPG Approved
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2011, 01:01:30 pm »
Ah. I did double check the ages and I was a little off. Not by the margin of age, but on how long things took.

I can't find anything about needing multiple restricted slots for being both Technomage and a C-Group skunk.

Hmm. Are there any specific areas you'd like to see expanded or cut down? I'm going to condense his early history a bit first. (Part of the issue with his history is that I've already written a story for his childhood, but haven't written much for his teen/ adult years.)

Offline St Anger

• Mars RPG Approved
  • Kyrie Eleison
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2011, 01:12:33 pm »
Just to clarify: he dislikes 'escapee' vids because it is too painful a reminder of his own experience?

Interacting with others, 'less experienced with people', 'blunt', 'snarky'; how much does this inhibit making friends? Is he more of a loner, or does he like to/prefer to be sociable?

By 'large', is Avalanche person-sized?

Is he an actual believing Christian, or just exposed to it and familiar with the holidays?

Did anything notable happen during Centralis-Teraplex?
'An open mind is like a fortress with its gates unbarred and unguarded'

David Kelly O'Neill, 26, Human, Refugee
Altius Caelis Aeschyr, 27, Wolf, Teaching Assistant/Demonstrator

Offline Renessa

• The Hiberno-Norse Bard
  • Administrator
  • The Forum Ate My Soul
  • Damnit, Hadvar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2011, 01:22:44 pm »
Hmm. Are there any specific areas you'd like to see expanded or cut down? I'm going to condense his early history a bit first. (Part of the issue with his history is that I've already written a story for his childhood, but haven't written much for his teen/ adult years.)

Uhhhhmmmm... Everything? :P  I don't know, the whole profile seems rather chatty, more like a conversation and less like an organized document.  One thing that sticks out to me are the weaknesses: 'was' is used several times; are they still problems or aren't they?  how big of problems are they? (similar sort of question to what Saint is asking in relation to the interaction section). 
Trinam "Toast" Orinu/Mounty (Serval-Oncilla mix)/18/2nd year Biomechanical Engineering student

devArt

Offline hariman

• Mars RPG Approved
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2011, 02:13:00 pm »
Just to clarify: he dislikes 'escapee' vids because it is too painful a reminder of his own experience?

Interacting with others, 'less experienced with people', 'blunt', 'snarky'; how much does this inhibit making friends? Is he more of a loner, or does he like to/prefer to be sociable?

By 'large', is Avalanche person-sized?

Is he an actual believing Christian, or just exposed to it and familiar with the holidays?

Did anything notable happen during Centralis-Teraplex?

In order: Yes.

I'll expand on that in the next profile update. (Tends to not be sociable but wants to change, stunted because of his obsession)

Yes, Avalanche is that big. I'll include references.

Believing Christian, but his family merged it with their existing beliefs as they are already similar.

And I'll add a little to the last one during the update that I'm working on.

Uhhhhmmmm... Everything? :P  I don't know, the whole profile seems rather chatty, more like a conversation and less like an organized document.  One thing that sticks out to me are the weaknesses: 'was' is used several times; are they still problems or aren't they?  how big of problems are they? (similar sort of question to what Saint is asking in relation to the interaction section). 

That's probably because I think of writing his profile as an interview between Nevix and Rayne/Darius as a default, so writing it as a dry description is hard! I'll have an update to the first half up in just a minute.

Offline hariman

• Mars RPG Approved
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2011, 02:29:50 pm »
This is a partial update based on Renessa's and St. Anger's comments and questions.

To be honest, it's hard to think of answers to the questions without framing it as how Nevix would reply to the question itself.

EDIT: The first full update is complete. I've made some changes to the history section and added a little to his views on other species to cover the fox plague.

Full Name: Nevix Astari
Species: Genoworks Skunk
Type: Technomage, Teacher
Function: Teacher: Wilderness Survival/Advanced Combat (Standard)/Advanced Combat for Technomages

Quotes:
"Oh? You thought that would work on me? I haven't fallen for that one in years!"
"Unfortunately, or perhaps fortunately, my dreams and ambitions of having a full sized Acid Whip familiar have gone unfulfilled."
"Ok, so I am lucky. I just never said it was good luck!"
"Oh, please do take that first swing at me. I'd LOVE to toss you into the nearest fountain for fun!"
"Heh. I said RECOVERING power seeker. Not retired or failed."

How much experience do you have with role-playing? How much time have you spent on MUSHs/MUXs/etc.? Not much. I've followed the MARPG from time to time, but I haven't actually played. I do have several years of D&D experience in both home campaigns and in the Living Greyhawk campaign.

What things does he like? Icefruit, honing his skills, FREEDOM!, anything cute and cuddly (though he's not one to show that in public), Icefruit and action movies.

He's developed an interest in Terran culture and media of all types. Including Terran martial arts.

Dislike? Big ones: Bounty Hunters, Genoworks Exotica, slavers, hostage takers, cruelty to animals. Oh, and Rama Tibal.

Lesser ones: "Escaped Experiment" vids, (Being an escaped experiment means he identifies with the protagonist too much. His last week or two in genoworks are some of the worst days of his life.), "Depressing downer movies" candy and food that's spicy, and technomages who prank indiscriminately for fun.

What are the strong points of your character? He's mentally very strong and clearheaded, deliberately so.  He's driven to be the best at what he chooses to do. He's also developed a certain amount of flexibility, so when he encounters a roadblock to progress, he'll often try a different approach. He's also incredibly hard to rattle via fear, as he's lived his worst fear of being kidnapped to be either a slave or sold back to Genoworks. Repeatedly.

Weak points? He was obsessive to a fault, especially about getting stronger and better able to defend himself (His family actually staged an intervention to keep him from getting too power obsessed.) and he's still now working on making that better. He's also socially several years behind where he would normally be because of that. He also has an arrogant streak born from confidence in his abilities actually being very good.

Nevix works at managing both his arrogant and obsessive streaks.

Name one thing your character would never do and why. Use someone as a slave. He's been through it and he'd never inflict it on someone else.

How does he interact with others?Not as well as he'd like. His obsessive tendencies have left him less than experienced with people. He can be blunt and rude, even though he doesn't mean to. He prefers to NOT use his technomagery as a way to make up the difference, as he knows (and was told) that technomagery would be a crutch. He can be cynical and snarky at times. His dealings with pirates, thieves and bounty hunters (as well as kidnappers) have left their mark on him.

He has always tended to not be too social, leaning more towards gaining only a few friends. He now recognizes that he has to get out some and at least try and he has improved lately, though not as much as he'd like. He's spent time recently preparing for the academy and going out with some of his coworkers and friends.

What are their abilities, hobbies, things they're good at? He's spent much of his student and working life training to be the best Technomage possible, including both close and long range combat that doesn't involve technomage abilities. He's a passable cook, He also likes learning about anything and everything he can.

Nevix also a very accomplished prankster who used to get into regular prank wars with Quinn Akaelae. And win. (He's grown out of the pranking phase and is more likely to either give advice or disrupt the pranking, decided case by case) He likes playing Gravball and he loves the holographic shooting gallery seen in Campus Safari.

Tools of the trade (including weapons) His own body and skills. His technomage abilities, including his familiars Spiral and Hammer, are his primary tools. He also carries a hand stunner, preferring it to technomagery if it's needed.

Nevix also keeps several subspace storage devices with him. One for tools and supplies. A backup of the first. And a third that has spare clothes. LOTS of spare clothes.

Lastly, he tends to wear discreet armor under his clothes while also carrying a good hunting knife. He doesn't expect to need them, he's still just a bit cautious about being defenseless.

Give an example description of your character. Nevix is 5' 10". He's a Black furred skunk with "bruise blue" stripes. His build is average, but well toned due to constant training. His face more resembles a terran skunk than normal. He also has almost no natural scent, as his "scent" is actually a deodorizer.

He's often seen with his pet Gryphon Avalanche, a large grey and white Northern Gurdan gryphon. Avalanche has been his favorite pet and companion since he first met his family after escaping from Genoworks Exotica. She's very well trained and loves both children and other people. She's named for her size and her former tendency to bowl people over. She tends to be better behaved now.

http://www.furaffinity.net/view/6753084
http://www.furaffinity.net/view/5086905/

He also tends to have his wisp familiars Spiral and Hammer with him. Spiral is an orange wisp that was Nevix first familiar, and Spiral has mellowed and is typically seen on Nevix shoulders or on Avalanche's back or head. Hammer is a crimson wisp who was a much more recent acquisition. Hammer is much more curious investigate his surroundings much more than Spiral.

Spiral (and Nevix) can be seen here:
http://www.furaffinity.net/view/6430217/

Why is it essential to your character to be here in the Mars Academy? He wants to be there. Mars Academy also has friends of his and it's a place to settle down for him as well as providing a more positive outlet for his need to become stronger.

What are their qualifications? He really is one of the best technomages out there. He's also had a significant amount of experience working as security for his Uncle's/Cousin's merchant business. (It's similar to Border Guard, only just focused on his family's assets and a few others who hired them.)

He also knows a good bit about tracking and wilderness survival from his father and immediate family and has enough knowledge about his Uncle's shipping/mercantile business to be the on site inspector for the Mars Academy branch of Starry Night Merchant's Inc.

What traits do they have that are useful to the future colony? Nevix is willing to teach Wilderness Survival as a regular class help in normal martial arts and close combat classes as a sparring partner for newer students.

He's also good at teaching some of his close combat skills to students, even if he does sometimes fall back on, if not start with, "Kick them around the sparring ring and tell them what they're doing wrong till they get it right." He could also moonlight in special ops and security, given his skills and prior experience working for family.

Currently, there's no official Spec Ops position for Nevix. Nevix also realizes that his connections with his family's business might also be something the Silver, Rayne and Darius DON'T want in a spec ops member.

Also of note: Nevix' connections with Quinn and the Akaelae family/the Mounty Royal Family are only tangential at best. He only knows Quinn directly, and that's as a rival prankster/former friend. The others he might have met once or twice, typically when a prank war got the others involved.

What are their goals in being here? He views Mars Academy as a place he can settle down and finally relax a bit. He also wants to make some new friends and possibly start a family. He's not really looking for someone though. He has a someone he's dated with before who might or might not join him at some point.

He's also being paid to regularly audit and monitor the Mars Academy branch of Starry Night Merchants Inc. It's only required once or twice a week, and it doesn't take too long.

What is your characters nature and thoughts on others of his/her species? "We're rare! That's why we skunks are either lucky to find another skunk, or we search for a mounty or rabbit to settle down with. Heck, I don't think I know OF  more than a half dozen other C-group skunks. The only ones I recall meeting in person are Chatin and Cilke Akaelae, and that's because they helped Quinn pick on me a couple times."

What is his or her view on other species?
Nevix views Mounties, Wolves, Mice and Humans favorably, as he's lived with them during his time growing up in Mounty Territory.
Most other species, the Native Cyantians like the aquatics, digni, rabbits, terran humans and so on are viewed neutrally.
Fox and Avisterians are mildly distrusted, but Nevix has met enough that it's not often noticeable. (Both were involved in attempts to sell him back to genoworks.)

All people he meets are judged on their own merits, their species doesn't really matter that much to Nevix.

He views the Fox Plague as a massive tragedy which should have only killed the royals. Nevix thinks that Kiet Al'Rashon is a much better ruler than his father.

Please answer the following in a couple paragraphs: What is your character's history? Who is or was your characters family? What were the important events of your characters past? What kind of life did they have before they arrived at the academy?

Nevix was created at Genoworks as "Cendal" at about the same time as the other C-Group Skunks. He was, however, considered a massive failure for his lack of scent and deodorizing abilities. After an pair of incidents that broke and arm and a leg, Nevix was kept as a pet project by the geneticist who created him and isolated. This move was both to spite the military and to protect Nevix.

During Nevix' last days at Genoworks, he was transferred to the punishment section "To save space" and was told that his geneticist would "Pick him back up again soon.". Which led to a tense and frightening time among others who were being constantly taken for experiments and were often heard screaming and crying through the cell doors. Nevix views the "To Save Space" story as BS and has lasting emotional damage from this period of time.

Nevix escaped from Genoworks at the same time as Cere, Syrys and the others, using the confusion to escape into the cold while deliberately avoiding the trails of other escapees.

After several days traveling away from Genoworks, (including a lucky find of a patch of Icefruit so he wasn't starving), Nevix heard someone talking at the bottom of a short ridge. And promptly fell down the ridge into his new family.

The wolf and gryphon he fell onto were Arix Astari and his pet northern gryphon Avalanche. Arix took Nevix home to his wife Laurel and his daughter Talia. Talia immediately took to Nevix as a little brother, and both Laurel and Arix took to him as a son no long after. Adopting Nevix and giving him the name Nevix Astari (After Arix Father.) in the process.

Nevix' life with his new family was idyllic, but marred by the fact that times were too fallow for the family to stay at their cabin. So they moved to Gralen Cragg Hall with Arix' brother Nevan, his wife Mariel and their son, a black wolf cub also named Nevix. After a few months of Nevix the Skunk (Nevix) and Nevix the Wolf adjusting to living with each other, things settled down and life became fairly normal. The greatest problem he had to deal with was aging faster than his classmates and sometimes being clumsy because his accelerated aging wasn't consistent.

As a side note: Nevix was raised as a Christian, as his family was converted to Christianity a good 40 years before he arrived. The missionary had fallen through a now sealed portal to earth. He is a practicing Christian, but his Christianity ended up mixed with his family's cyantian religion. (Which is not very different in the first place.) The biggest differences are that his family celebrates Easter and Christmas. Especially Christmas.

After his childhood, two events changed Nevix drastically from the relatively easygoing cub that he'd been to a driven power seeker:

First, he was kidnapped and used as a slave by Rama's forces. (He doesn't like to talk about it and he's been asked not to talk about it by Syrys and Alpha.) It did result in at least some time away from family with them powerless to do anything other than search.

Second, barely six months after that kidnapping, a group of bounty hunters sent into mounty lands to kidnap another genoworks creation for a fox merchant decided to make some extra money by grabbing Nevix and another genoworks creation. Both had unluckily just met each other and Nevix by chance. Nevix sister Talia was also injured during this kidnapping.

The second kidnapping was far less successful, as Nevix' family had already given him a marker to be able to find him and Nevix had also started learning escape and evasion techniques from where ever he could. (He managed to escape his cell and free the others who were kidnapped. This helped distract the Bounty Hunters at a critical time.) Both Nevix' family and the Mounty Authorities were involved in the rescue and the kidnappers didn't even make it near the border before getting caught.

The second kidnapping also introduced Nevix to Tyrus C. Barkstar. A fellow Genoworks product who is a modified Corgi, "Ty" needs to wear a Lift to walk on his hind legs for more than a short time without back pain. Tyrus had been commissioned as an intelligent pet for a noble fox's daughter. Ty didn't like being treated as a living doll and escaped via cunning, stealth and cuteness. It was his bounty that attracted the bounty hunters.

Nevix, having met Quinn and recognizing her as a troublemaker, would try to prank her and often get into prank wars with her for fun. (And practice, though more for fun.) "Often" was typically a couple times a year at most, and nowadays they know each other as former rivals/friends.

Those kidnappings, over the years, made Nevix into a power seeker whose main focus was to become stronger and never get kidnapped again.

Nevix' time in both normal and transitional school went well enough, with Nevix enrolling in martial arts classes and other classes useful to his aspirations of becoming both an expert technomage and to gain power to protect himself and his family. (Talia's injuries were only a few bruised ribs, some regular bruises and a few scrapes, but Nevix partially blames himself.)

Nevix was accepted at about the same time that the Fox Plague happened and was at the academy during the Centralis Teraplex war. His family had some involvement in protecting their own assets and civilians where they could, but Nevix' involvement was nonexistent.

He was accepted into the technomage program at avistary academy, excelled and graduated with honors. However, he spend most of his time training and studying for his schooling and other training with little time for anything else, save a very few friends. One of said friends was an orange female fox technomage named "Nobody", who has a wisp familiar named "Silence". She has no name because she was abandoned during the fox plague and hated her family anyway. She'd rather be "Nobody" than continue her family's legacy.

Post graduation, Nevix was hired as security for his Family's business, Starry Night Merchant's Inc. He worked well as security there and quickly rose through the ranks via dedication and skill. To the point that he was assigned to combat training to keep current employees in shape and improve new hire's skills if needed. Nevix was also sometimes deployed on more dangerous missions where trouble was expected, not just cautioned against.

The job consisted of both planning for incidents of theft and piracy, minimizing risk by monitoring pirate activity and maintaining security, and responding to actual attempts at either. There were several unsuccessful tries at kidnapping Nevix again during this time. Painfully unsuccessful.

It was not long after one of these attempts put Nevix and several of his coworkers in the hospital (and the bounty hunters in a different hospital for far longer) that Nevix' family decided to intervene in the growing trend of Nevix only training and having little time for anything else.

"Look, I don't have time to listen to speeches about how I'm training too much, I have a training session to... to... I... am aware of the irony in this situation." *returns to hospital bed* "I need to get some rest. So I'd appreciate it if everyone would give me some peace and quiet. ... Yes, Dad. You, Mom and Talia can stay to talk for a while."

Post intervention, Nevix reduced his active on ship role in his family's company and took on a bigger role training new recruits for the company, including several to fill in the positions that would be vacant from him and his other team members. Nevix also regained contact with friends he'd lost contact with after graduating.

After a few months and the successful training of replacements, Nevix chose to try for a teaching position at Mars Academy, as he views Mars Academy as the best place for not only a fresh start, but also for both settling down, making new friends and indulging his now tempered tendency to seek power. It didn't hurt that Tyrus had already moved to the academy and Nobody was also considering the move.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2011, 03:15:48 pm by hariman »

Offline hariman

• Mars RPG Approved
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2011, 03:18:51 pm »
There we go. First update complete.

I've tried to slim down his history a bit and add a few extra details. I left a quote from Nevix in the history as I feel it illustrates his reaction to the intervention for his obsessiveness better than anything else I can think of.

Offline Shippou-chan

• King of Foxes & NPCs
  • Administrator
  • Postaholic
  • Chatin Suiter #4
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2011, 05:10:52 pm »
Haven't gotten the comb out for the profile, but I will note that the Fidaels are followers of the Creator, which is a faith inspired by Judeo-Christianity OOC, but is a bit simpler for RP purposes.

Essentially there is a Creator who crafted the Universe and is watching over it, perhaps occasionally tweaking situations.  One ought to live by the Principles (Diligence, Honesty, etc) which are at the core of the Universe out of gratitude and because doing so is beneficial to oneself and society in general.

It's an idea worth considering, although a Christian-Cyantian blend is probably feasible.

I'll look through the second profile later tonight.

Just curious though.  What level of combat ability would he have compared to Krytus (Security combat instructor/Teraplex Vet)?  (Somehow I suspect they'll get along great.  We'll see in upcoming weeks if they meet in Darius.)
« Last Edit: October 28, 2011, 05:13:46 pm by Shippou-chan »
The Fidael Family - Noiya, Taisha, Rutilus, Rokfriez, and Double-Q
Rifalia Mekiska - Socialite Revolutionary
Leikki Biegle - Painfully Shy Mouse Mechanic
Amala Kanara - Highly Competitive and Mischievous Special Ops Cheetah
Rhiadi Kaelynn - Graduate Level Education Major
Krytus Yami - Intimidating Security Personnel
Jyala Oppa - Cheerful Otter Athlete
Sharib Akhim - Shelved - Proud and Grumpy Ram (but not a bad guy)
Fictional Characters - Such as Ruti might read.

Offline Renessa

• The Hiberno-Norse Bard
  • Administrator
  • The Forum Ate My Soul
  • Damnit, Hadvar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2011, 05:54:38 pm »
I'm kind of wondering if Nevix and Apple will meet. :P  If they do, I may bring her in.  After all, official first contact is soon, have to start beefing up security. ;P

devArt

Offline daemonschile

• Administrator
  • The Forum Ate My Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2011, 07:11:57 pm »

I'm curious what Advanced Combat for Technomages entails.  We're not going to have X-Men in training, are we?

Also as a minor note, about his technofamiliars, I'm guessing Hammer is still fleshy if he's recent, but is Spiral fully converted yet?
Prenna D'tella/17/Calico/Veterinary Student
Shyssa Wynd/19/Jilaic/Human Studies

Offline hariman

• Mars RPG Approved
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2011, 07:36:01 pm »
It's an idea worth considering, although a Christian-Cyantian blend is probably feasible.

I'll look through the second profile later tonight.

Just curious though.  What level of combat ability would he have compared to Krytus (Security combat instructor/Teraplex Vet)?  (Somehow I suspect they'll get along great.  We'll see in upcoming weeks if they meet in Darius.)

Well, there's more than just "I want him to be Christian". It's at least "I want him to be a Christian for a reason." ;)

http://www.furaffinity.net/view/3145564/

Plus, I did already know that the Cyantian religion was based on Judeo-Christian beliefs, so it isn't too far a stretch for one of Nevix' ancestors to check the Christian bible versus the teachings of the Creator and realize how similar they are fundamentally. Plus, it's an excuse for two more holidays.

As for Nevix' combat abilities: Nevix is physically weaker yet faster due to the size difference. Nevix also fights with a mix of weapons, preferring knives, hand axes or lighter swords over anything larger. Nevix is also the dirtier fighter.

In a normal spar, with or without weapons, they're probably even. Nevix likely has more than a small edge when he uses his technomage abilities though. Nevix has specifically developed his technomage skills as an extension of his ability to defend himself, so he's likely ahead of the curve in general.

I'm curious what Advanced Combat for Technomages entails.  We're not going to have X-Men in training, are we?

Also as a minor note, about his technofamiliars, I'm guessing Hammer is still fleshy if he's recent, but is Spiral fully converted yet?

Nevix views Advanced Combat for Technomages as a way to remind Technomages that they have fists and feet, so it's more about getting them to be aware of their surroundings and learning ways to avoid being "Squishy mages".

It's a defensive class more than an offensive class.

I was going to have Hammer already be converted to a full familiar within the last year.

Offline Shippou-chan

• King of Foxes & NPCs
  • Administrator
  • Postaholic
  • Chatin Suiter #4
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2011, 09:37:04 pm »
Well, there's more than just "I want him to be Christian". It's at least "I want him to be a Christian for a reason." ;)

Plus, I did already know that the Cyantian religion was based on Judeo-Christian beliefs, so it isn't too far a stretch for one of Nevix' ancestors to check the Christian bible versus the teachings of the Creator and realize how similar they are fundamentally. Plus, it's an excuse for two more holidays.

I had read your description as a sort of blend.  I've no qualm with it at all.  Plus the bolded reason is an excellent reason..  heheh

As for Nevix' combat abilities: Nevix is physically weaker yet faster due to the size difference. Nevix also fights with a mix of weapons, preferring knives, hand axes or lighter swords over anything larger. Nevix is also the dirtier fighter.

In a normal spar, with or without weapons, they're probably even. Nevix likely has more than a small edge when he uses his technomage abilities though. Nevix has specifically developed his technomage skills as an extension of his ability to defend himself, so he's likely ahead of the curve in general.

This sounds reasonable to me, given his history, especially since his profile indicates he is an instructor in combat as well.  If he's at Krytus's level, he's well ahead of the curve.

Nevix views Advanced Combat for Technomages as a way to remind Technomages that they have fists and feet, so it's more about getting them to be aware of their surroundings and learning ways to avoid being "Squishy mages".

It's a defensive class more than an offensive class.

A comic describing moreorless what Technomages may tend to be like.  However it's perfectly acceptable in tournament rules.
The Fidael Family - Noiya, Taisha, Rutilus, Rokfriez, and Double-Q
Rifalia Mekiska - Socialite Revolutionary
Leikki Biegle - Painfully Shy Mouse Mechanic
Amala Kanara - Highly Competitive and Mischievous Special Ops Cheetah
Rhiadi Kaelynn - Graduate Level Education Major
Krytus Yami - Intimidating Security Personnel
Jyala Oppa - Cheerful Otter Athlete
Sharib Akhim - Shelved - Proud and Grumpy Ram (but not a bad guy)
Fictional Characters - Such as Ruti might read.

Offline hariman

• Mars RPG Approved
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2011, 01:39:58 am »
Shippou: First, yeah. Nevix' family suspects that part of the reason why their father (Nevix' grandfather) converted was to add a couple parties to the year.

Second, that's exactly what Nevix was aiming for.

Third, (and to Daemonschile as well), that's exactly the kind of thing he wants to protect technomages from. That way, they at least don't die or drain resources by requiring bodyguards to keep them alive.

The primary techniques that Nevix would be teaching would start with basic close combat techniques and move on to ways of keep from getting hurt as opposed to a "this is how you become a D&D 3.5 wizard or an x-man" class.

Nevix also employs various people as sparring partners to give his technomage and other students good sparring partners. Anyone of sufficient skill is eligible, provided they can spar without inflicting harm on the students.

And yes, Nevix does recruit from people who are prank victims. It gives the technomages a reason to behave and force other technomages to behave.

Hmm. Let me know if any of these need to be in the profile.