Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Author Topic: The official "CHEVALIER" thread  (Read 11188 times)

Dee

Re: The official "CHEVALIER" thread
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2011, 09:28:14 AM »

Ah. Well, they don't make 'em like they used to. For all the technology advances today, particularly in animation, movie makers have forgotten how to tell a good story. Except for Pixar.

I'd trade all of the movies like the Princess and a Frog, Tangled, etc, for something with the depth of story like Secret of Nimh or Watership Down.

On a Chev book front? I'm looking forward to seeing the book cover designs. :)

Dee

hariman

• Mars RPG Approved
  • I look forward to it with glee and trepidation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2011, 09:43:11 AM »

Ah. Well, they don't make 'em like they used to. For all the technology advances today, particularly in animation, movie makers have forgotten how to tell a good story. Except for Pixar.

I'd trade all of the movies like the Princess and a Frog, Tangled, etc, for something with the depth of story like Secret of Nimh or Watership Down.

Dee

Personally, I think Hollywood has lost most of its class, tact, talent and taste. That's one of the primary reasons why I haven't bothered going to the movies lately. Then again, part of that problem is that Hollywood started assuming that people would watch anything and certain segments of the movie going audience obliged. :(

I think part of the problem IS those advances in visual technology. Studios end up thinking that the special effects can take the place of likable, relatable characters and a good story.

And I'm looking forward to the next update for Chevalier and the book release.
I'm ashamed of myself. I didn't realize that Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure was a spoof of Doctor Who until 2011!

Tiffany Ross

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2011, 09:50:13 AM »

I liked Tangled!  But the Princess and the Frog was horrendous. 

Dee

« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2011, 03:17:29 PM »

Dee

Personally, I think Hollywood has lost most of its class, tact, talent and taste. That's one of the primary reasons why I haven't bothered going to the movies lately. Then again, part of that problem is that Hollywood started assuming that people would watch anything and certain segments of the movie going audience obliged. :(

I think part of the problem IS those advances in visual technology. Studios end up thinking that the special effects can take the place of likable, relatable characters and a good story.

And I'm looking forward to the next update for Chevalier and the book release.

I taped "The Pixar Story" on CNBC and there's a part in it where, after Toy Story came out, aniation studios dumped 2D animated movies for 3D animated movies because they thought that that was why their recent 2D movies failed and not, as Roy Disney points out, because the 2D movies they'd put out just weren't any good.

Same thing now. EVERYTHING is 3D. It's the gimmick that won't go away.

Yeah, I'm looking forward to the new Chevalier as well. AND the book release, of course. I was telling Tiff that we should include you guys in on the evolution of the cover design from sketch, to pencils, to inked version, right on up to final finished reveal. I think that would be fun. :)

Dee 

Dee

« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2011, 03:19:16 PM »

Haven't seen Tangled yet. But it's coming on cable soon.

I did LOVE How to train your Dragon and Toy Story 3 when I finally got to see them. TS3 actually had me tearing up at the end.

Dee

hariman

• Mars RPG Approved
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2011, 04:15:44 PM »

I did LOVE How to train your Dragon and Toy Story 3 when I finally got to see them. TS3 actually had me tearing up at the end.

Dee

I liked How To Train Your Dragon too. I haven't seen Toy Story 3.

All I've heard about Princess and the Frog is that Kieth David singing is one of the highlights.

I'm not sure how we, the audience, would participate in making the cover of Chevalier. But I wouldn't object to the opportunity to help.
I'm ashamed of myself. I didn't realize that Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure was a spoof of Doctor Who until 2011!

Shippou-chan

• King of Foxes & NPCs
  • Administrator
  • Postaholic
  • Chatin Suiter #4
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2011, 05:19:23 PM »

A good part of it is that popular movies today rely a lot of standard stereotypes and cliched tropes.  With all the special effects and intense action sequences, who needs to put some thought into the characters, or try to craft a story that can be followed, without being predictable?

*thinks it's time to catch up on Chevalier*

Syke has shown herself to have an ability to craft both characters who feel real, and storylines which don't always follow expected pathways.  From the introductory part of Chevalier I've read, the world looks intriguing, and Chevalier looks like he'll be an interesting character.

POST-CATCH-UP ADDENDUM:  Storyline setup is very well done.  Indication is that Princess Faere might be a fan fave.  Prince Charming has yet to show it, but it won't surprise me if he isn't a very likeable character as well.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2011, 05:33:34 PM by Shippou-chan »
The Fidael Family - Noiya, Taisha, Rutilus, Rokfriez, and Double-Q
Rifalia Mekiska - Socialite Revolutionary
Leikki Biegle - Painfully Shy Mouse Mechanic
Amala Kanara - Highly Competitive and Mischievous Special Ops Cheetah
Rhiadi Kaelynn - Graduate Level Education Major
Krytus Yami - Intimidating Security Personnel
Jyala Oppa - Cheerful Otter Athlete
Sharib Akhim - Shelved - Proud and Grumpy Ram (but not a bad guy)
Fictional Characters - Such as Ruti might read.

Dee

« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2011, 06:03:21 PM »

I liked Tangled!  But the Princess and the Frog was horrendous.  

Dee

I liked How To Train Your Dragon too. I haven't seen Toy Story 3.

All I've heard about Princess and the Frog is that Kieth David singing is one of the highlights.

I'm not sure how we, the audience, would participate in making the cover of Chevalier. But I wouldn't object to the opportunity to help.

No. We'd show you guys the different stages that we're going through so that you could see the cover being made as it's made. Sort of a sneak peak at the process.

Dee
« Last Edit: July 01, 2011, 08:09:45 PM by Dee »

Dee

« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2011, 06:09:30 PM »

A good part of it is that popular movies today rely a lot of standard stereotypes and cliched tropes.  With all the special effects and intense action sequences, who needs to put some thought into the characters, or try to craft a story that can be followed, without being predictable?

*thinks it's time to catch up on Chevalier*

Syke has shown herself to have an ability to craft both characters who feel real, and storylines which don't always follow expected pathways.  From the introductory part of Chevalier I've read, the world looks intriguing, and Chevalier looks like he'll be an interesting character.

POST-CATCH-UP ADDENDUM:  Storyline setup is very well done.  Indication is that Princess Faere might be a fan fave.  Prince Charming has yet to show it, but it won't surprise me if he isn't a very likeable character as well.

I thought the romance between Faere and Charming was...well...Charming. :)

The prince is very emo. Which isn't good. But then again he fears the worst has happened to his lady love on what was to be their big "Prince William Princess Kate" coming out. And strings are being pulled in the shadows as you'll see. Nuff said. :)

I think most folks are waiting for Chevalier to get back into the story. :) He will soon. We have to give himsomething to do first when he does get back in. Then it's all Chevalier all the time. LOL! :)

Dee

Shippou-chan

• King of Foxes & NPCs
  • Administrator
  • Postaholic
  • Chatin Suiter #4
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2011, 06:40:36 PM »

It wouldn't be a proper story if there wasn't SOMEONE pulling the strings.  I have an initial suspicion, but at this point, no certainty.  It could very well be someone other than the usual suspect.

Dee

« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2011, 07:57:10 PM »

It wouldn't be a proper story if there wasn't SOMEONE pulling the strings.  I have an initial suspicion, but at this point, no certainty.  It could very well be someone other than the usual suspect.

Ha. Reminds me of the line from Casablanca, "Round up the usual suspects".

Dee

hariman

• Mars RPG Approved
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2011, 08:16:50 PM »

Ha. Reminds me of the line from Casablanca, "Round up the usual suspects".

Dee

Let's see, that's:

The Butler
The Mistress
The Grand Vizier
The Corrupt Cop
Ms. Scarlett, In The Library, With The Knife
And more!

The Usual Suspects Action Figure Set (TM) will be available soon!

Tiffany Ross

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2011, 08:42:59 PM »

I think I did a pretty good job on the prince.  :D Exactly fitting the description I was given, which if I were given a different description would likely have led to different expressions, but as it is, he's young, he doesn't do a good job of hiding his emotions.

As for the other things above, it's no secret how much I don't like certain kinds of movies or unnecessary 'stuff'.  I got to see Transformers 3 on Tuesday night.  I was a bit shocked.  I enjoyed the movie overall, but there were things, mostly involving Carly, that I really did not appreciate.  Maybe it doesn't help that I used to roleplay Carly. :D  My Carly, even if she were young, would NEVER do that.  The funny thing is my Daniel was from the UK and went around calling me Mum.

I really didn't like how they made a supposedly 'strong' woman.  That's not what they should be like.  I DID like one of her later scenes, but stating it would be spoiling things. :D 

I'm a bit 'proper' and victorian minded.  I find the women in those (Victorian era) type of novels/movies to be far stronger and well, flawed.  Flaws are what you need to make things real.  There should always be an equal flaw for every positive. 

Dee

« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2011, 10:10:34 PM »

I think I did a pretty good job on the prince.  :D Exactly fitting the description I was given, which if I were given a different description would likely have led to different expressions, but as it is, he's young, he doesn't do a good job of hiding his emotions.

As for the other things above, it's no secret how much I don't like certain kinds of movies or unnecessary 'stuff'.  I got to see Transformers 3 on Tuesday night.  I was a bit shocked.  I enjoyed the movie overall, but there were things, mostly involving Carly, that I really did not appreciate.  Maybe it doesn't help that I used to roleplay Carly. :D  My Carly, even if she were young, would NEVER do that.  The funny thing is my Daniel was from the UK and went around calling me Mum.

I really didn't like how they made a supposedly 'strong' woman.  That's not what they should be like.  I DID like one of her later scenes, but stating it would be spoiling things. :D  

I'm a bit 'proper' and victorian minded.  I find the women in those (Victorian era) type of novels/movies to be far stronger and well, flawed.  Flaws are what you need to make things real.  There should always be an equal flaw for every positive.  

When I said "the prince is very emo. Which isn't very good", it had nothing to do with how you drew him, but him as a character. Like you said, he's young. So he wears his emotions on his sleeve so they're easiy manipulated. And like I said on the Chevalier site "love turned inside out is hate, hate given focus is anger, anger given purpose is rage". So because Charming is emotional and turn up over what may have happened to Faere things quickly go from bad, to very bad, to worse.

Pixar has a new movie coming out next year called "Brave" which will have their first female star a princess named Merida. It should be interesting to see how they handle it.

I'm all about strong female characters. The character Lady Fiona Fiziwigg, who is a gender bending crossdressing victorian secret agent in my steampunk myster/adventure webcomic "The Continentals", has been the break out character of that comic.

The Continentals
http://www.webcomicsnation.com/moniquem/continentals/series.php

And grrl power tomboy Jemmy from my alien invasion adventure "G.A.A.K: Groovy Ass Alien Kreatures" who saved her guy pals from the town bullies not to mention invading aliens from outer space was a fave with it's female readers.

GAAK
http://www.webcomicsnation.com/moniquem/gaak/series.php

Dee

BTW, Tiff. Every time you say you want me to write a story with dragons in it so you can draw "fuzzy eastern dragons" for some reason I always think of that chubby little flying dragon in How to train your dragon. Have you seen it?
« Last Edit: July 02, 2011, 06:32:22 AM by Dee »

Shippou-chan

• King of Foxes & NPCs
  • Administrator
  • Postaholic
  • Chatin Suiter #4
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2011, 10:15:20 PM »

The comparisons with Shira Lexx are inevitable, given his description.  (I can't help but think a bit of the Disney version of Beauty and the Beast, which references "Prince Charming" a couple of times.)

I agree with Syke that characters within most stories (the hero, his sidekicks, perhaps even the villains) need to have some flaws and weaknesses to make them more real.  It also makes a good counterbalance if they have some traits and abilities beyond what most people in their world have.  Then again, there is something to be said about making your protagonist an 'everyman', someone who faces the various conflicts of the story without having any particularly special abilities.