Author Topic: System Builders Unite  (Read 6912 times)

Offline St Anger

• Mars RPG Approved
  • Kyrie Eleison
    • View Profile
Re: System Builders Unite
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2010, 09:31:00 pm »
Before years end, I would like to build my own modest computer. As I have examined components, I found this motherboard with an integrated ATi HD video card: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131631R

I plan to get an HD 4870 or perhaps 5770; who thinks this on-board extra would be cool? I get the impression it is more of a novelty, but I do admit a quasi-Crossfire possibility might be useful...
'An open mind is like a fortress with its gates unbarred and unguarded'

David Kelly O'Neill, 26, Human, Refugee
Altius Caelis Aeschyr, 27, Wolf, Teaching Assistant/Demonstrator

Offline Dedalous

• NO COFFEE?! BLARGGG!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2010, 03:15:44 pm »
What happens is when too many people get on, the Avimark program will freeze for the same two workstations every time.  It freezes, and then won't work untill the user reboots.

Yes, it is a server based, but the server is actualy a server/workstation.  Unfortunately, its non dedicated because they didn't have the money to buy a dedicated server.  I watched the network traffic when they all logged in, and there was asolutely no spike higher than twenty percent of the total 100 Mb/s even when they got booted off.  I think data packets are getting lost, cause the entire software package is stored on the server, and there's the rats nest network.  I understand enough about programming(Having written several of my own mid scale programs) to know that if even one line gets lost from the program, it can crash the entire system.  Now that I look at the way the network is set up, the two computers that always crash are on the second switch.

But why doesn't the other workstation on that swtch crash?
"Looks through his scope                                                                  "The beast is the most often mistrusted,
Aims for your head                                                                                                           Most often hated,
Pulls the trigger                                                                                         And most likely to show kindness"
You scream that you can't see                                                                                                    Orion Falion
But you never could
Fear the man in the brush"
Patrick Carr

Offline Tvorsk

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2010, 04:19:45 pm »
Hrm. Usually, the TCP stack should retransmit lost packets... but yeah, I see it not happening right from time to time myself. Try swapping the machines from socket to socket... it may be a faulty cable, too. (Too much crosstalk, failing only under heavy load...)... of course, putting a different switch in would be a good test too, but I guess you can't do that.

Wait a sec... did you just said that you're actually running the program off a network drive? Ack... yeah, Windows File Sharing is notoriously weird... likes to fail when it shouldn't, and in weird ways... Like, I had one machine, that despite anything you'd do, had the file sharing speed limited to about 8KB/s... we tried just about everything, but actually only a reformat changed that... right now one of my PCs can't be reached by Netbios name, only by IP (Netbios is supposed to be self-announcing, and it is for four other machines on the same network)...

Good luck...

Offline Dedalous

• NO COFFEE?! BLARGGG!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2010, 02:01:13 pm »
Does File share leave shortcuts on the other computers and not just the server?  I don't really know how that works.  I think there's a client that runs on the workstations that loads the Avimark package to the RAM as if it were loading from the hard drive, but I'm not sure, not being able to tear apart the microprogram that is in the avimark file on the workstations.  What I wouldn't give for a reverse comileation program.
"Looks through his scope                                                                  "The beast is the most often mistrusted,
Aims for your head                                                                                                           Most often hated,
Pulls the trigger                                                                                         And most likely to show kindness"
You scream that you can't see                                                                                                    Orion Falion
But you never could
Patrick Carr

Offline Tvorsk

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2010, 03:03:26 pm »
That's called "disassembler". Many commercial programs use some kind of run-time encryption, alas. If you're interested, a good place to start is this and rest of that site. ;)
Anyway, yeah, if there's only a small launcher program (or a shortcut to \\servername\path\some.exe) it probably runs from a network drive. Btw, what's the O.S. on the workstations that hang? And is there anything suspicious in the Event Log at the timestamp of such?

Offline Dedalous

• NO COFFEE?! BLARGGG!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2010, 03:12:36 pm »
No suspicious activity that I've seen, and there is no malware or viruses or anything of the sort, but...
Gahk, its vista, but that doesn't nescisarily mean that's the problem.  This program was written for vista.  Soon as I get this server put together, we're upgrading to Seven.
But you never could
Patrick Carr

Offline SteamWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2010, 01:04:05 am »

Offline St Anger

• Mars RPG Approved
  • Kyrie Eleison
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2013, 08:31:00 pm »
Dual video cards: good idea, or is a single top-of-the-line card better bang for my buck?

Offline Renessa

• The Hiberno-Norse Bard
  • Administrator
  • The Forum Ate My Soul
  • Damnit, Hadvar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2013, 09:35:33 pm »
Everyone I've heard of has had more ill than good from it.  Most games don't support the ability to use both, and if they do it does weird things to how they display.  Also, just because a game allows it doesn't mean it handles it well.  Some have been known to get HORRIBLE fps with a dual card, some will get max fps but have v-sync issues.

Moral of all the stories I've heard: get one good card. What ever the cost is, its worth it compared the issues of two.
Trinam "Toast" Orinu/Mounty (Serval-Oncilla mix)/18/2nd year Biomechanical Engineering student
Soida Hopea/Fox (blue)/31/Music Professor
Tejaswi Calumb/Equine/20/2nd year Whitesmith and Art minor
Fejin Majinai/Taboa/19/2nd year Music major, Martial Artist
Sriek Denae/Wolf/28/Professor of Voice Performance, part time Speech Therapist

Forum progenitor of just about everything dark/mature.
devArt

Offline Frost

• Mars RPG Approved
  • Ceiling Cat - Posting Iz Gud
  • Absolute Zero
    • View Profile
    • Mah Buh'ket
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2013, 09:49:12 pm »
Go with the single with good ratings at a good price. I've run duals, its not worth it. The thing about hardware, if its new today, in 6 months its outdated. :P
"Apparently, having common sense and using common sense is an evolutionary leap"

MARPG Aproved:
Tyberisu Frost Luthera, 22, Wolf, Mechanic Leadsman
Mimi Nesolagas 17, Rabbit, student/apprentice/assistant
Odin O'Malley Malius, Feline Cross, 2nd yr Chem. Student/ Janitor
Sgt. Major Abraham Obsidian 25, Black Saber Tooth/Tiger Cross, Security Drill Sargent/Officer
Tokala Toki Velox 29, Gold Fox, Shrink

NPC:
Zeeka Crassadon,
Vaughn & Virgil Orion (Twin Wolves)

The best Villain never lets on he's the bad guy.

Offline St Anger

• Mars RPG Approved
  • Kyrie Eleison
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2013, 12:14:10 am »
Cool! Thanks dudes