Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Author Topic: (Spaceport made Canon) Lazy Day  (Read 4317 times)

daemonschile

• Administrator
  • The Forum Ate My Soul
    • View Profile
(Spaceport made Canon) Lazy Day
« on: March 08, 2010, 05:38:34 PM »

Title: Lazy Day

Sub-Title: Ced's forth day after arrival.

Creator: Red Falcon (Me!)

Start Date: April 05 2006, 03:19 PM

End Date: May 4 2006, 03:54 PM

Approximate Time Stamp: S2 W1 D6 17:00

Quote from: Red Falcon
Now this was pleasant. A nice amount of time available to just relax with. Free from the worries that life may bring a hour from now, a day from now, or whenever. No need to think about the present state of relations between Cyantians and the Earth, the Academy itself, or the unsettling thought of 'mindwipe,' ... but most of all.

There was no need to think about the possibility, that a mischievous little gryphon with the mentality of a magpie, might just decide to come swooping down to snatch one's glasses. Thereby forcing that individual into playing a game of tag, a game which it would quickly grow bored of and exchange with hide and seek, forcing the aforementioned victim to spend an hour trying to find the feathery fiend! In order to liberate, said glasses.

No? , there would be no need to worry about any little tricksters running amuck. For at one of the aquatic habitats, Cedric was free to laze upon the beach that lined its exterior entrance and stare off at nothing, or so he'd been told anyway. So with a towel separating him from the sand, his clothes for later on acting as a pillow, and a pair of black swimming trunks being worn for modesty. The only thoughts that plagued him consisted of whether to go for a swim now, or continue to lie about. Maybe even doze for a while.

Quote from: Darius Fan
"I don't have time, really!" whined a voice somewhere out of sight.  "I- I have... schoolwork to do!"

"No you don't!  You finished it hours ago." corrected another, more insistant voice.  "I know, Rystall. Come on, it'll be fun!  Relax a little!"

"Y-you've been spying on me again?" asked Rystall incredulously, he stumbled into the sand, a golden wolf close behind him.  He frowned "I thought you stopped doing that years ago..."

"No, I asked your roommate." the gold wolf lied smoothly, wearing an innocent expression.  Her tone became hurt. "Would I spy on you, Rystall?

He stared at her.  "Yes, I think you would." he said flatly.

"Humph.  Oh!  Hey, Cedric!" she greeted, waving to the human.  "This is Rystall, a friend."

"Hello..." mumbled the gray wolf, clearly unhappy about being coerced to coming here.

Quote from: Doink
Alraune emerged from a nearby changing room wearing a prudish maroon one-piece and carrying her usual outfit, boots and a black jumpsuit, and a thick hardcover book. She was about to pick a spot to read when she heard a familiar chipper voice.

She turned and saw Taera and Rystall walking onto the beach Of course. The two wolves had been virtually inseperable since they had reunited upon their arrival at Mars Academy, and Taera had spent a great deal of time with him. She still had enough strength left, however, to insist that Alraune was working too hard and badly needed a break. That was why Alraune was here. To get a break from Taera.

She tried her best to be nonchalant in moving to the other end of the room, opposite Taera, Rystall, and Cedric (whom she hadn't noticed yet). Her last hope was that the two of them would enjoy their, ahem, quality time too much to take notice of her. It wasn't much, but it was all she had.

(OOC: I'm going to assume that Taera and Alraune are roomies.)

'Well now, isn't this a funny little spectacle?' chuckled Cedric to himself as he watched the two wolves emerge onto the beach. Thanks to just how loud they were being, he'd been able to follow their conversation before they even entered his view, so when Taera finally did notice him. He had quite an amused grin waiting for her.

Greetings were exchanged through him replying, "Hey there, fancy meeting you here darlin'!" and a quick wave of his own, followed by him pointing off at Rystall to ask who he was. She saved him the trouble of actually having to, so after he said a quick, "...And a hello to you too boy-o." to the male wolf. It was back to speaking to Taera along with some harmless teasing.

"Your friend seems a little, down. What happened? You drag him here by the tip of his tail or something darlin'?"

Rystall huffed.  "Sometimes it feels that way..." he said mournfully, his ears flattening in almost a droop.  "And what does boy-o mean?"

Taera giggled.  "Don't listen to him.  He wanted to come here!" she insisted, aiming a familiar grin at Rystall.  "Right?"

"Uh, buh, duh." he replied nervously, rubbing the back of his head, the mumbled,  "I- I guess so..."

"Good!  Now that that's cleared up, what are you doing here, Cedric?  Did you shake off the old grouch?" she asked the human.

Alraune was well-absorbed in her book, but all of the sudden her nose began to itch.

"ATCHOO! Squid..."

There was no way they could not have noticed that.

After a stretch and a yawn from being idle too long, Cedric made his way to a stand and reflexively moved a hand to adjust glasses that, simply were not there to be adjusted. He gave his nose a quick scratch instead to cover up the mistake, then nodded to Taera's last question before he replied, "In a manner of speaking, yes. Yes I did... but in a far more accurate way then, no. More like he shook off himself really. Not like he was a member of security here or that his permenant occupation was to follow me around. Just a crew member of the ship that picked me up, that had been asked to keep an eye on me while the others set about doing this and that."

"As for why I'm here, well. I'd think that's a little obvious darlin'." The terran patted the only thing he was wearing to emphasis what he'd just said but just incase it didn't, he added, "I'm here to relax and go swimming of course! Why else would I be here? Not like I can live underwater like some of the Cyantians I've seen around here... and as for what 'boy-o' means." A quick shrug was thrown in as he shifted his gaze to Rystall. "It means what it means, and what it means is you boy-o! Nothing more and nothing less."

Then there was the sound. An abrupt sound but one that he knew well. A sound that could be identified as none other then, a sneeze... and with but a glance the jig was up! Cedric had caught sight of the allusive vixen and he made a point of sharing this knowledge. With but a gesture, he directed the wolves' attention towards Alraune then mused, "Oy, how 'bout that? I barely know anyone here and now there's familiar faces popping up all at once. Small world after all, eh?"

Taera turned towards to noise.  "Alraune!  Relaxing? Amazing." she exclaimed, waving.  "Good to see you taking a break for a change."

She leaned toward Cedric "I've been annoying her for the last few days..." she whispered conspiratorily.  "I did say there would be repercussions for what happened in front of Vixen's secrets..."

"You've been torturing that poor fox?" Rystall said, appalled, as he overheard.  The sight of someone hiding in the bushes plucked old strings for him.  "That's terrible, Taera!"

"Yeah, well.  She had it coming." she assured the shocked wolf.  "You weren't there.

Alraune shook her head and gave Taera a wry grin. "Did I mention who I was trying to get a break from?"

She turned to Cedric. "Nice to see you too, Cedric. I take it you're adjusting well to your new lifestyle?"

Rystall chewed his tongue thoughtfully, trying to work up his courage.  "Taera?  Can I speak to you about something?" he asked nervously.

She turned back to him with a broad grin.  "What about, Rystall?" she replied.

"Um.  Well." he began, and figeted with his hair. "I have enjoyed seeing you again after so long... don't think I haven't..."

Taera's smile slipped slightly. "But..." she prodded hesitantly.

"Well... I don't think I ready for the commitment you seem expect of me." he went on, looking her in the eyes.  "I just... I haven't had much time to myself the last few days. 

"I just... I don't know." he broke off, faltering.

Taera's smile had crumbled, and now she just had an expression of mild surprise.  "You want me to leave you alone?" he said faintly, as if unsure that she was hearing correctly.

"No, not go away... just... ease off a bit?" he finished uneasily, no longer able to look Taera in the eye.

"Oh.  I... see." she said neutrally, and picked up her pack.  "Alright.  See you later, Rystall."

And with that, she left, leaving Rystall staring at the ground and scuffing his feet.  "So... you're Cedric, I think you said?" he asked quietly, still not looking up.

After Taera had explained to Cedric how she'd paid the vixen back the last couple of days, the grudge he had held towards Alraune was mentally checked off as paid in full in his mind. Although how things had gone but a few days ago weren't forgotten, he had no qualms with acting as if they hadn't happened, just so long as nothing else went horridly wrong.

Cedric was enjoying himself far too much today to want to hold a grudge anyways. So off he went to where the vixen had secluded herself to answer her query, intent on having a proper chat with her rather then having to yell from way across the room.

"Funny you should ask that." began the terran. "I mean, hey! I'd love to just dance around and sing this place its praises, but I have to keep reminding myself that I'm still in awe of everything here, you know? Couple weeks down the line, when there isn't yet another wonder waiting around the corner and I'm, starting to settle into my mind what's the norm around here. I suppose that it's possible, that I could conceive the idea of considering, that this place just might not be quite as great, as I think it."

The ridiculous amount of uncertainty riddled within his final sentence, combined with the stupid grin that popped into existence on his features right afterwards, made it rather clear that although he did think it was technically possible for him to end up disappointed with Mars. Chances were that wasn't going to happen.

He spread his arms shortly thereafter and gestured about the beach in its entirety, summarizing what he'd just said by saying, "In other words, yeah! Lovin' this place and I've barely even seen a shred of it. Just learned that they had -this- place here a short time ago, not to mention... the... eh?" It was at this point that he'd cast a glance back towards the wolves and noticed that, Rystall was the only one there.

A confused, "Darlin'?" was muttered in response to this, followed by him performing a quick scan of the beach and the surface of the pool with his eyes. Only when he'd looked back to the gray wolf and noted his posturing, his uncanny interest with the sand and his lowered tone did he put two and two together. Something had happened between the two while his back was turned and Taera had taken off to, god only knows where.

Cedric allowed a moment of awkward silence before he answered Rystall with a sigh, saying, "Actually, I'm not the one who said my name, your girlfriend did, but yeah. That's what it is." For a second he considered asking what had happened to make Taera take off, but just as quickly he shrugged off the idea and poured some cheer back into his voice.

"But anyways. When you're done examining the ground, feel free to come on over and the lot of us can... do something, I guess." he offered. Though just what he'd do to cheer up a seemingly shy and saddened wolf, he had no idea. So while he waited for Rystall to consider his offer, and for his own brain to add substance to that offer. Cedric looked back to Alraune and asked, "So, what'cha reading there?"

Rystall turned back to Cedric. "I guess I've got little else to do..." he replied lackadaisically, and slunk over to where Cedric was standing, stopping several feet away.

"What did you have in mind?"

Absolutely nothing, was what Cedric had in mind. He'd been counting on Rystall to just stand around for a bit, giving him enough time to actually come up with something while the wolf twiddled his thumbs. Now something had to be thought up on the spot and unfortunately, with his attention divided between that task and what Alraune no doubt had to say. Nothing was really forthcoming.

The first game Cedric considered, and then dismissed just as quickly, was volleyball. He figured there weren't enough of them there for that kind of game, and they didn't have a net let alone a ball on hand so it wouldn't matter if there were enough of them. Besides, he didn't even like volleyball.

"Well, we are right by the water." he began in an effort to make it up as he went along. "So... the best thing to do, even if only to begin with, would probably be to do the obvious and just get into the water. See where things go from there."

Then something clicked in the back of his mind, bringing with it a sly smile to his lips. It wasn't the best of ideas or even an original one, but it was better then nothing. So with a particularly devious look in his eyes, Cedric stared over his shoulder at the wolf and asked, "Hey boy-o... how fast can you swim?"

Rystall stared at Cedric for several seconds.  "I... don't know.  I don't swim very often." he replied cautiously, sensing that the human was trying to enter him into some fort of competition.  "Why do you ask?"

Alraune held up the book, which had what appeared to be a bar of soap on the front cover. "It's called Fight Club. A book from your planet. I have to say, you Terrans can be surprisingly vivid. I've already read another of the author's books, Haunted. It's really jarring." She blinks a couple of times, remembering a couple of the book's more graphic passages.

She got up and stretched, leaving her book in the sand. Wading into the water, she smiled as she felt the fur on her tail float freely in the water. Within seconds she was up to her head in the water. "How fast can YOU swim, Cedric?" she asked.

Competition! Now this was just the sort of thing Cedric wanted right now. Even if he couldn't get Rystall to join in on the challenge being formed, he knew he could count on Alraune to provide some sport... or utterly cream him. She was aiming to be a member of security after all, so for all he knew she could swim circles around him, moving backwards, and still have enough spare energy to criticize his form.

Cedric reminded himself with, 'But first things first.' and then set about verbally dragging Rystall into the fray. He did so with a pleasant smile and by saying in his most convincing tone, "Neither do I boy-o. This'll be the first chance I've had in ages and I don't plan to let it slip by, 'cause after all. You never know when you might get another! So come on, it'll be great. Practice makes perfect and all that jazz."

After that, the decision of whether to join in or not was left in Rystall's hands as Cedric departed for the pool. With his attention directed back towards Alraune, he coated his voice with feigned doubt as he finally replied, "How fast can I swim? Lemme see here. As I was just saying to the boy-o, I might be a little rusty, and it's not like I competed professionally or anything way back when. So I guess we'll just have to find out, now wont we?"

By the time he finished what he had to say, he was treading water all but beside her and casting looks around the pool. Checking to see if Rystall had followed, to gauge the distance between where they were and where they might race to, and then... to the effects the water was having on Alraune's fur. He wasn't sure whether to find the latter funny or, dare he even consider it, cute.

Rystall considered the human's words for several seconds.  "Hmm. I suppose so." he agreed slowly.  He paused for a moment, then headed for the water.

He cautiously stuck a foot in the water, and when he discovered it was actually warm, he waded the rest of the way in, a faint smile on his face. "It is nice..." he said, stopping to close his eyes and relax at neck level, his gray hair floating on the surface in a massive fan.

Alraune shrugged. "I don't really swim that much, either. But, on the other paw, I'm almost certainly in better shape than either of you, so I'm not worried." She ducked underneath the water and let it slide over her head.

"Ouch, that felt like a jab. Anyways, here he comes and-" muttered Cedric as he watched Rystall finally enter the pool, only to learn he was talking to himself upon noticing Alraune had submerged. "... And, eh. Down she goes."

He scoffed a simple, "Meh!" at this and drifted onto his back, content to float about on the water's surface with the occasional kick thrown in from time to time. It wasn't really the best way to prepare for a race, but until he had set about coaxing Rystall into joining in, Cedric felt he had all the time in the world. So why not spend some of it lazing around as he had been doing to begin with?

'Oh, so, la-a-azy! Heh.'

No amount of wading on warm water, unfortunately, could keep the other swimmer's spirits up for long.  Rystall sighed as his thoughts turned back to his conversation of only minutes ago.

With years practice suppressing negative feelings backing him, he made an attempt to push the thought away and dived underwater preforming a stroke that used all of his limbs and aligned his tail where it provided less drag.  He glided forward almost ten feet before he lost momentum and surfaced.

When he did, his hair, weighed down with water, covered his eyes and part of his muzzle.  "Gack!" he coughed, pushing it out of the way so he could see and treading water.

Alraune's cheeks puffed out underwater as she took a look at Cedric, then she rose back out of the water just in time to watch Rystall gag in the water. "Smooth."

She looked at Cedric and smirked. It wasn't often that she saw someone with no tail, especially in swim trunks. "Are we ready yet?"

Cedric held one hand aloft with its index finger raised, as if to say, 'One moment.' before he flipped himself over with one final kick and dived beneath the surface. It was great being able to open his eyes in the water, without having to worry about them being burned out by an overkill amount of chlorine or something of the like. Unlike in most of the pools he'd been to.

He reminded himself that he could enjoy that aspect later on and that for the time being, he was just getting his eyes used to seeing underwater again. After having such done, he resurfaced and made his way back over to the two with a simple breaststroke.

"Alright, ready now." confirmed the terran. "So, how do the lot of you want to do this? Length of the pool and then back again? Far as we can go beneath the water on one breath? ... Go until we're lying face down in the water and need resuscitation?"

Rystall wilted slightly in embarrassment.  "It's not my fault... it's just... my hair... -sigh-" he mumbled vaguely. 

He clutched a lock of his hair protectively, as if expecting the other two swimmers to dart over and chop it off.  "Wouldn't cut it off for anything, though.  " he said with a small amount of pride.  "I like my hair long."

"Sometimes I wish it were longer, though... do humans actually do that?" he broke off at Cedric's last comment.

Alraune fingered her own hair, which was just longer than a crew-cut. "I don't know about humans, but I recall seeing this one raccoon at transitional school who had hair down to his knees. I'm sure he could give you some hair care tips. But if it gets in the way, I'd suggest tying it into a ponytail."

She turned to Cedric. "Swimming laps sounds good to me. What do you think, Rystall?"

After a smiling moment of imagining himself with hair down to his knees, Rystall blinked. "You're asking me?" he inquired in surprise.  "Uh, well... I guess so."

Cedric gave a thumbs up and announced, "Right then, laps it is! Let's start over by one of the walls." followed by him gesturing towards one side of the pool to illustrate. He then started off towards where he'd pointed, making his way there with a backstroke that was so halfhearted that it was almost comical.

Along the way, he replied to what Rystall had asked a few moments ago by saying, "Do humans actually do, what? Grow their hair long? Must guys don't on Earth, let alone to knee level, but I have mine a decent length considering all things. Helps to have it in a ponytail too, keeps it from gouging your eyes out... or were you referring to my comment of floating dead in the water? 'Cause that one was a joke, boy-o. If you don?t get it, I guess I can explain it to you later on, and no it?s nothing sick or sadistic. So don't dwell on it until I do explain it for you, if you don't get it."

"Ah.  I see.  Hahaha." he replied halfheartedly, and drifted himself over to the side Cedric was headed for.

I wish he'd stop calling me that... Rystall thought uncomfortably.

With a roll of his eyes, Cedric grumbled, "Or maybe I'll explain it right now. Look, it's like this! No sane human I can think of would literally do what I said there, myself included. It was an exaggeration, of the suggestion that we just swim until we're tired and have to withdraw from the pool. Thereby making the last one left in the water and able to swim about, the winner."

"However, since I don't want to do that but I was asking for suggestions. I made a point of tossing up the idea in such a way as to make it known that I didn't prefer the idea, without having to come across as some killjoy who would be all like. Nah! I hate that idea. I don't want to do, that!"

Upon reaching the side of the pool, he grabbed a hold of its ledge to support himself and concluded his explanation with, "Wasn't meant as a funny 'ha-ha' kind of a joke. Alright? Hope that makes perfect sense now. I keep forgetting about the whole, culture gap thing..."

Alraune pushed off against the wall and sped through the water like an arrow. She began her strokes at the halfway mark and reached the other side in in about twenty seconds. She grabbed the ledge and prepared to push off again. "You must be a riot at parties, Cedric."

Cedric brushed off the insult he perceived to be coming from Alraune with a little sarcasm of his own, having replied, "Oh no you've found me out! Yes, 'tis I! Supel the riotous party crasher, at your service M'lady." Complete with hand gestures to accent his words and make what he said as overly dramatic as possible, right up until he was forced to grab a hold of the ledge once more to keep from sinking. Little hard to pull off a mock bow when it?ll put you at the bottom of the pool.

"I don't like parties.? he quickly reiterated afterward.  ?Most of the time, it's just an excuse for people to come and mooch food." Then he went about bumping the topic along, or backwards depending on how one looked at it, by saying, "But anyways, since I assume we're all eager to see just how badly I can do. How about I say a quick 'to three' count and then we take off? Going to the other side and then back again. Alright?"

"Sounds fine to me." Rystall said with disintrest, eager to get this over with.

Losing was never fun, and he was sure that he'd be in last place, as usual.  What fun.

Alraune nodded. "You have a point. I was never comfortable at my brother's cotillions myself."

She faced forward and prepared to push off. "One... Two..."

Rystall sighed hopelessly, but quietly, and prepared himself.

Cedric mentally sighed as he thought, 'He could at least try to enjoy it.' when he heard the wolf's tone, but then Alraune began the count and the time for chatter was over.

'If he didn't want to race that badly, he shouldn't have agreed to begin with.' continued to grate the terran as he got ready, feet planted firmly against the wall and his head all but beneath the surface for an underwater send off. 'Shame Taera hadn't sta-... eh? Hey, I remembered her name! How 'bout that?'

"Three!" Alraune pushed off against the wall and flew through the water. Even though she was much shorter than either of the other competitors, her stout, pwerful legs gave her an advantage that they would be hard pressed to match. She began her strokes after slowing down at the halfway point.

Rystall pushed off, using the same full-body stroke he had used before, zipping forward and repeating as he started to slow.  Every other stroke, he would come up to breathe.

With the final count sounded, the three of them had dismounted from the wall and the race was underway. The first part of it all held nothing but enjoyment for Cedric, being able to drift along with the warm water rushing by. No additional effort required immediatly after the original launch...

... But then reality had to go and ruin it all by slowing him down, forcing him to actually work for the pleasure of having water just, zip past. Naturally, he had to do so upon reaching a shorter distance then Alraune. He did so not even in hopes of keeping up to her, so much as preventing himself from being completely outclassed.

Cedric mentally chanted, 'Left, right, left, right and breath!' as his mantra to keep a rhythm. To keep his mind focused purely on swimming. Most importantly, to keep him from focusing on the vixen up ahead, who was rocketing through the water with the ease of a torpedo. Well, a furry torpedo... , a furry torpedo with a poofy tail, like a jellyfish!

That line of thinking was stifled by him looking away and focusing purely on his mantra, since breaking out laughing at that point wouldn't be all that beneficial. Unfortunately, doing this presented him with an additional problem as he caught sight of Rystall. For someone who seemed terribly hesitant to race, the wolf was doing surprisingly well in his opinion. Well enough that, not only was he keeping up, but he was threatening to leave Cedric in his wake.

?Rarely gets to swim, my eye! Oooo, you sneaky fibber you! Or am I really that out of shape? ? Curse you computer of mine, and your seductive siren call!? came the terran?s usual accusing thoughts and musing. Shame that extra motivation couldn?t be applied in any form as he was already giving his best. At least it could prove entertaining for any nearby mind readers.

Alraune's freestyle was serving her well. Within seconds she had reached the other end of the pool and kicked off the return trip. She passed Cedric and Rystall at the 3/4 mark and smiled to herself.

'Why do I get the feeling I've just been skunked? My god, it's Cribbage all over again! Except that I actually like what I'm doing and I'm supposed to be decent at it. I mean, I shouldn't be losing this badly, right? ... Meh!'

Then at long last, the other side was within reach and Cedric wasted as little time as he thought possible. He flattened a hand against the wall, flipped himself over and then repelled away as if things were just starting all over. Excluding the fact that Alraune was well over halfway on her return trip and this kick off just, wasn't quite as good as his first.

He mentally sighed, 'Well, there's definitely no chance of me even comparing to her.' then cast a glance to where he expected Rystall to be. 'At the very least, I can try and out perform this boy-o. Yeah, there's still that. Ok!'

Rystall reached the other end, and swiftly turn and kicked hard off the wall, beggining his stroke again just as he started to slow down.  He didn't bother looking ahead, where he knew he would see Cedric and Alraune, and in what seemed like a good idea at the time, he closed his eyes.

He continued to swim forward, and after a short while, he wondered why he hadn't reached the other end.  He opened his eyes, and saw that the wall he had started at was only a foot away... and he was still moving.

A brief thought formed in his head as he started to look back.  Oh, n-

-crack-

"Owwww..." he whimpered quietly, rubbing the side of his head, but ridiculously trying to make the action look casual, so as not to let anyone notice.

Cedric just stared. He'd come in last place by a hair's length so he shouldn't have felt particularilly humiliated, or rather he wouldn't have... except that he'd seen Rystall's unique breaking technique. So what else could he do then just float where he was, nose barely above the water surface, and stare off in disbelief at the wolf?

'I was beaten... by that?!' It was hard for Cedric to decide on whether to be upset at the thought that Rystall could, very well have been the worst swimmer here until he had arrived, or if the wolf had just made quite the mistake and that he should be showing concern for the poor guy.

'Oh *curse*! Now that I think about it, the guy could've killed himself just now! Slamming head first into a wall like that while swimming at full tilt. Now wouldn't that be a pretty horrible, if not outright humiliating way to die? You manage to snag second in a race and then BAM! Your neck snaps like a twig. ... Mmm, ok. That's probably not all too likely, but his skull could still be pretty banged up.'

Confusion and concern became Cedric's main motivaters. So after surfacing just enough that his mouth wasn't beneath the water, the terran said, "Now that was an, eh. Interesting, technique you finished off with there boy-o. By chance is it a two step process, with medical aid being the second? I mean, oy! I heard something go crack and the wall's still there so, do you want us to get you some ice for that? Or should we be taking you to medical right now?"

"Uh.  No... no.  I'm fine." Rystall replied listlessly, massaging his head.

He stared at Cedric for several seconds, blinked, then repeated.  "No.  I'm fine."

Alraune shrugged, obviously content with her first-place status. "Eh, you'll live. Nice strokes, by the way. Didn't know you had it in you."

She sighed and leaned back against the ledge of the pool. "Better luck next time, 'boy-o.'" she told Cedric.

Rystall looked back and forth between the two.  "What are you talking about?" he asked, frowning in confusion.  After a moment, he blinked.  "Wait.  I did lose, didn't I?"

Cedric flinched at the words 'better luck next time' and threw himself back in an exaggerated recoil, yelling a short lived, "Gyah!" before going under. Feigning dead wasn't all it was cracked up to be though, so it didn't take long before he resurfaced and began lurking around the vixen, his head above the water just enough for him to mutter, "Meh! I don't believe in luck and it doesn't believe in me. Last I checked, you didn't believe in that rubbish either."

"And if it was anyone else-" he went on to say, though his words now regarded Rystall. "I'd think you were rubbing your victory in, boy-o!  However, I suppose it's a little hard to gauge if you've beaten someone when you use your skull as a brake. Still can't believe that you could get there with your head, before I could reach it with my outstretched hand. ... In other words, no. You didn't lose. So don't be so quick to count yourself out on things."

Alraune nodded. "He's right, you know. Confidence problems are one of the biggest hurdles I've seen in other people. That's why I broke up with my ex-boyfriend." She blinked, then sighed, not quite believing that she had let that information slip out in front of two recent aquaintances.

'Oh, god! Are we going to talk about past relationships now?'

One glance later and the mental query was answered for Cedric, without him needing to ask. The expression on Alraune's face plainly indicated she hadn't meant to say the last part, that it was just a slip of the tongue. Past experiences of his own also provided him with the additional information that, teasing or even talking about such things when the other person clearly did not want to, was akin to river dancing on a landmine. Not like he'd ever tried dancing on a mine, but he had a feeling it would be just as messy... albeit, more in a physical kind of way.

So in order to keep the conversation from going where he believed Alraune did not want it to go, and more to the point. To keep it from going down a path he didn't want it anywhere near. He raised his voice a pinch and added to what had just been said with, "That they are! But you don't want to go too far and become some kind of egomaniac, you know? Bad enough when you have someone who's too passive to do anything, but it's even worse when you run into someone who's head is swollen so big, that they believe they can do anything whether they have the ability to do so or not. Especially when they try to do the latter of the two!"

"I- I have confidence..." Rystall muttered, without any of the feeling in question.  He was still unsure if Cedric and Alraune were playing a joke on him or not.

Me?  Not lose?  Wouldn't that be something...

Alraune nodded, glad that she didn't have to explain about her ex. "It's good that you have confidence, Rystall. Keep working on it, and you're going to be able to do a lot more."

Cedric said a quick, "Agreed." before literally kicking back to relax and just, aimlessly drift about on his back once more. He figured that if he was going to take part in giving Rystall a little pep talk, he might as well get comfortable and lounge around while he did so.

"After all, why wouldn't you be confident?" asked the terran. "From what I've heard about this place, it's not exactly easy to get into the academy here. So unless I'm hallucinating, and you're not really floating over there. Then clearly you've got something going for you that's allowed you to even be here. Right?"

Rystall blinked and stared at Cedric for a time, then sighed and rubbed the back of his head.  "Sorry... I don't think I understood most of what you just said." he explained carefully, but looked embarrassed. "To be honest with you, most of what you say makes little sense to me.  You're dialect of english is almost incomprehensible... I'm sorry."

"Something about not being 'over there', but here instead?" he asked, clearly unsure that he was getting it correct.

Alraune stared at Cedric with an ear twitching, trying to comprehend his last statement. Then she let out a rough sigh and shook her head. "Terrans."

She turned to Rystall. "I think he means that you have to be doing something right if you managed to make it to Mars Academy."

Cedric grumbled something that would prove inaudible even to their ears and then ended his ersonal rant with an irritated sigh. Moments later, he tried his hand at explaining again. "No, that's not what I meant. I'm not saying you've just 'done something right' which sounds as if you've barely managed to scrape your way in here. I meant, you must have a grand talent, an extensive knowledge base on a subject, or just something that had them wanting you to enroll here and the such.

"What is it they told me about this place? This is an academy for the elite, it's an elite academy or... , some such thing that implied this place was the best or was for the best." rambled the terran. He was sure it was close enough to what he'd heard, so he left it at that and looked to Alraune. "Meh. Close enough that you might get my point, as I am apparently oh so hard to comprehend. Now on another note, what was that about terrans?"

"Well, Terrans are pretty confusing. I still don't know that much about them. I take it you know more than enough, though."

"Yes, yes we are." acknowledged Cedric with a sigh. "No amount of knowledge or understanding will probably ever change that. There are very few things you can count on the lot of us to do as a whole, and none of which are what you might consider pleasant."

Swimming back out into the heart of the pool started to look rather tempting to Cedric at that point, whereas human bashing did not. With that in mind, he set about wrapping up the topic by saying, "However, I'm sure you all have plenty of information of the like about this academy, so I'll skip my usual tirade. Leave you two to dig the information up yourselves when you have the time, make up your own minds on how terrans are as a species."

Rystall wiggled his head in mild agreement.  "I got pretty good marks in transistion school, and rarely missed classes... but I'm not really that spectacular..." he clarified dully.  "I doubt I was the best student in transition school, would probably be the headmaster.  Daris?  Darius?  One of those Akaelaes, anyway.  He probably got perfect grades, never missed class, right?  How else would he get where he was?"

Careful not to swim through that massive puddle of irony... you'll never get it out of your clothes. :P

"Well, I wouldn't be so sure about that. I was in the top five percent of the students at the Centralis transitional school, and I don't seem like the scholarly type, now do I?"

Studies! Now there was something that had been plaguing Cedric's mind for a while.

Falling a little behind on Earth was on thing. Back there he knew what he needed to catch up on and how far, but here at the academy. This place was constructed and run by species who were advanced enough, that they had effecient means of space flight and the like. Just how far would he have to go to be able to come on par with any of them? What concepts that he'd be taught as fact, would he have to forget to make room for the theories that replaced them?

Thinking about all of that gave Cedric a headache the last time he'd done so, and this time 'round was no exception. He mentally groaned a curse and then set about a means of distracting himself. Namely by diving back under the water to swim about aimlessly.

Rystall nodded and shrugged, the latter motion making him slip underwater for a second.  When he surfaced, he said "I guess you've got a point.  At times, Taera comes across as someone who would spend more time preening in front of a mirror and buying new clothes than anything else, but if anything, I think she did better in school than I did."

He frowned, watching Cedric drift around in the water.  "You know, he seems very nervous and worried lately." Rystall commented.  "Do you think something is wrong?  He's been distracted this entire time, don't know if you've noticed."

OOC: :blink: - Ack!

When I wrote the line, "Studies! Now there was something that had been plaguing Cedric's mind for a while." I meant that it was one of the worries bothering him since he'd gotten here. Probably after having spoken with Darius and the such.

:( - Not during the thread itself!

Now through the wrong choice of wording, I've made Cedric look like he's been worrying this entire time. As opposed to relaxing as he was supposed to be doing and taking a break from from all of his problems, taking some time to unwind.

-_- - Oh well, it's too late for me to change it now. I'm just going to have to roll with it.

Prenna D'tella/17/Calico/Veterinary Student
Shyssa Wynd/19/Jilaic/Human Studies

daemonschile

• Administrator
  • The Forum Ate My Soul
    • View Profile
Re: (Spaceport made Canon) Lazy Day
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2010, 05:38:56 PM »

Alraune shook her head spraying water droplets everywhere. "I don't know. I guess he's worried about his classes, but who isn't?"

Rystall sighed.  "I guess so.  Sometimes I wonder about my roomate though.  He doesn't seem to have any ambition... just doesn't care." Rystall confessed.  "I guess it's at least something to care enough to worry."

OOC: Which roommate is that? Is it a PC or just a made-up character?

BIC:

"What kind of idiot wouldn't care about his future?" Alraune blurted out. "He must be one of the laziest students here!"

OOC: He's an NPC, my temporary roomie, till someone of PC quality (that is male) is available.

Rystall rolled his eyes.  "According to him, it's only because of his 'rich and influential' parents that he got here, but he doesn't want to be here, or just does not care." he explained.  "Hard to tell.  He spends most of his time napping or playing on his handheld game thing."

"Without turning off the sound." he added, sounding fairly irritated.  "At least he'll probably be gone soon... I don't think they keep people who don't make an effort, right?"

"I cetainly hope so!" Alraune growled. "I can't stand people like him! They waste so many resources without giving back anything in return!"

Being the human he was and not a fish, the need for air eventually caught up with Cedric and it was time to resurface. A firm kick to the pool's bottom accomplished that quickly enough, and after taking a moment to get the water out of his ears. His ability to hear the conversation was returned, just as Rystall was stating how his roommate didn't wish to be at the Academy. Without the parts that made it obvious who they were talking about, Cedric couldn't help but apply what they were speaking about to the only other person here.

'Who doesn't want to, what? Is the boy-o talking about me here? No, that can't be right. Sure I've lounged around here and there, but it's not like that's all I've been doing. My headphones shouldn't be loud enough for them to hear either, and how would he even know any-... eh? Can't stand me?! Ok, something's definitely off here.'

He called out an, "Oy!" to get their attention as he swam back over towards them, but waited until he was back at the ledge before he asked, "Who's doing what now?"

Alraune rolled her eyes. "It's not you, it's his roommate, the do-nothing rich boy. Sorry about the mixup." She shut her eyes, trying to drown out images of such an unbearable slacker from her mind.

Cedric echoed, "Do-nothing rich boy?" then trailed off into thought. The occasional, "Hrm..." slipped from his lips as he considered a few things, his eyes wandering about behind narrowed slits all the while. As if searching the pool could turn up anything that could prove helpful to his current line of thought.

Eventually he shrugged, muttered, "I got nothing." and then returned to patrolling about the two with slow backward strokes. "Never had to deal with that sort of a pain personally. Best thing I can think of off the top of my head, is just to ignore the brat. I mean, hey! If the higher ups around here wont stand for him just, slacking off. Then you wont really have to do a thing to get'em gone, since they'll deal with him after a while and that'll be that."

"On the other hand." whispered Cedric as he halted beside Rystall, his tone becoming dead serious. "If they should be ousting the brat and he's still managing to stick around without any apparent effort, then that's all the more reason to leave'em alone. You don't want to tick off that sort of person, you know? It's a kick to the teeth to know that sort of scum can do what they want, whereas you can't do a thing to get rid of'em..."

He sighed as he swam away and finished off his warning by grumbling, "...but that's just the way life can be. One trick to getting used to this kind of crud is to think of it this way. If he wants to screw up a perfectly good opportunity, and the act of him doing so wont drag you down with'em in any way, then there's no point stressing over it. It's his own idiotic choice to muck his life over and he'll have no one to blame but himself, so try not to let it bother you."

Rystall sighed.  "He wasn't bothering me much, anyway." Rystall conceded.  "Perhaps the worst part of it is his handheld game, and that's only annoying if I'm in the same room with him."

A thought struck him.  "What are schools like on Earth?" he asked Cedric curiously.

"They were school." sighed Cedric. "I haven't been here long enough to be able to tell you accurately, just what the differences are between our education systems and yours. In a way, I wasn't in any particular school long enough even to get down what they were like themselves! So I'd just be comparing bits and pieces."

Just shoving the question to one side and moving on had been what he had in mind. Except that now he'd started thinking about it and his past opinions popped into his mind one by one. He rolled his eyes and said, "Yet here I go anyways! Some had teachers that didn't seem to give a *curse* about anyone, just so long as you didn't make a fuss about anything. Encountered one that had some really helpful ones though, yet between classes students tended to erupt into brawls for kicks."

He waved a hand about as if to illustrate how he could go on, and on about this. During which he rambled, "There were good ones, bad ones, disorganized ones. A few that made you think you were entering a war zone. There's a lot of room for improvement for them all." then finished off by singing an overly dramatic, "But no one, seems, ta care!"

Alraune sighed. "That was a profanity, wasn't it." It wasn't a question. "And there you go again with the exaggeration. So you're telling me that the school system on Earth is chaotic and varied in organization, making the mere act of selecting a school a gamble? Why is that?"

The first thing Alraune had said may not have been a question, but after she had finished speaking, Cedric answered it anyways. "Profanity? Probably. I would've used the term slander myself, but seriously now. I've met tons of people that've had allegedly no problems throughout their school lives, aside from the occasional bully and the like popping up. So I do know there are a lot of good people roaming about there, good environments to be within and effective teaching methods being employed."

"I just didn't get to see most of'em first hand, and I've heard more horror stories then of people content concerning the matter." He took a deep breath after his rant and then sighed, offering up a shrug along with his conclusion. "What can I say? I can't give you an unbiased opinion on this sort of thing, because at the end of the day when I've tallied everything up in my head. Everything just seems poor to me. We're not a stupid race, we can do better, but for one asinine reason or another we don't!"

Cedric rested back at the ledge and faced out towards the pool, his arms spread out over the side for support. "'Course, it's not like I traveled about to other countries or even all around my own." he conceded. "Could've just been in some of the areas I'd been to that were shabby. That being true wouldn't change it from being a pain in the rump though, you know?"

Rystall finally spoke.  "You know, it does little good to complain constantly of something you cannot change, such as the appearent attitude of an entire people." he said quietly.  "First, because you will inevitably offend someone who disagrees with your opinions, however true they may seem to you, and second because you cannot do anything about it anyway."

"It's like yelling at the wind for being too noisy when it whistles through the trees or the ocean for being too wet, no?" he went on, shaking his head and collecting his hair together.  "Perhaps another finds the noise soothing or the water useful for making them forget about an itch?"

"The point being, of course, that sometimes the far more efficient path to do is change yourself." he finished, giving Cedric a sidelong look and small smile as he pulled back his hair behind him where it caused less trouble, but the smile faded into a frustrated frown as the hair refused to cooperate and fell over his eyes again.

Alraune blinked. She wasn't expecting such a blunt response from Rystall, and quite frankly she couldn't help but feel that it was directed at her as well as Cedric. "I suppose you're right, Rystall, but its a hard habit to get out of. I still find myself criticizing even when I'm working hard on my own life. The way I see it, if I work at my own life as well as I can, I've earned the right to rant about the little things in life."

She paused before changing the subject, as well as the object, of the conversation. "Strangely, I think I'm beginning to understand you a bit more, Cedric. Please continue. What about your life on Earth was so unbearable that you receive this new planet and lifestyle with arms wide open?"

"I'm feeling a little conflicted here." chuckled Cedric at the question, followed by him imitating a scale with his hands. He did this by upturning both of his palms and raising the one nearest to Rystall. "On the one hand, we have your advice here boy-o. Which is a polite and actually rather insightful version of a viewpoint I've heard quite a few times. Basically stating that griping about the past or things we feel we can not change, will serve no real purpose. Not a positive one anyways."

He then turned to regard Alraune, and gestured out towards her as he had towards Rystall before proceeding. "On the other, we've got your question darlin'. Asking me to describe one, if not the many things that royally ticked me off back on Earth. And it really is many a thing that did so. Now in order to do that I'd pretty much have to complain, which brings up the problem. Who do I aim to please here?"

After spending some time staring at his empty hands and performing a mock weighing with them. Cedric clapped the two together, produced a broad grin and stated, "Well, I guess I do like a challenge. So I might as well aim for both, eh? Right then, so it goes like this!" then shot a fist up into the air to show his enthusiasm! Except that, the topic wasn't something he enjoyed. In fact, as the question itself had stated, the subject was supposed to be on what he despised!

It took a moment before this fact clicked and his hand flopped back down into the water. He started out miffed as he spoke, but rapidly dissolved into being more on the silly side. "Oy... , wait a minute. Why am I thrilled about talking about something I'd find unbearable? I'd be talking about like, my deepest and darkest secrets here! Core of who I am kind of stuff. The part of oneself that people don't just wave around in public, lest someone go, 'My god! That guy over there's ranting about personal stuff. Someone quick! Tazer him! Tazer him in the toe!'"

"... Oh alright, so that's not likely whatsoever." confessed Cedric. "But it would be really long, depressing, and I'd be all pruny by the time I finished so I don't feel like doing it. Not exactly the kind of tale you tell in a swimming pool anyway."

"Well, if you don't want to tell us about it, that's okay," Alraune said. "But if you do, I'll tell you about my kithood. I think it's going to be a bit similar to your story."

Rystall relaxed, merely listening.  He knew if he spoke up now, it would be highly likely that his own past would be brought up, and he did not only did he not particularly want to bore them so sleep.  He closed his eyes, just drifting.

Cedric nodded to the offer and replied, "Similar to mine, eh? Alright, now you have me morbidly intrigued. Maybe some time later, you and I'll swap tales then." He directed a glance over his shoulder to where Rystall was floating, then continued on with a grin. "Take turns yelling at the proverbial wind so to speak. May not stop it from being noisy, but it's always nice to know someone else thinks it is as well. Know what I mean?"

Rystall didn't respond for several moments.  "Yeah, I guess so." she sighed without feeling, just floating along.  It was finally beginning to sink in that he had pushed Taera away.

What if she took it the wrong way?  What if she began hating him?  He did like her, but wanted some personal space... and time.

He mentally ran over what he had said again and again, and each time he did, it sounded worse to him.  Would she avoid him from now on?  He still wanted to see her.  What if...

He sighed faintly and continued to drift, lost in his thoughts.

Alraune looked concerned at Rystall's reactions. "Something wrong?"

'That was it? The boy-o goes over a huge rant that contridicts my point of view, but was an interesting take on the opposing side... and when I take a little jab at it, all he has to say is. Yeah, I guess so?' Cedric halted in his thoughts to cast another look over his shoulder, having a funny feeling that Rystall was going to look like the world was coming to an end.

Sure enough, Rystall looked depressed. Not quite as sorry a state as his imagination had hyped it to be, but it was close enough. 'Ah great, now what's got him down? Poking at his viewpoint can't have been that devastating. Maybe this is this about what happened when he first came to the beach? ... Oh no way! He's not still thinking about how h'es stuck with that roommate of his again, is he?'

Cedric muttered something to himself before pushing off the ledge, and drifting on over towards where Rystall was floating in the pool. Upon reaching the wolf, he lightly poked him in the side while muttering, "Oy... oy, boy-o. Your head still bothering ya?"

Rystall frowed and opened his eyes. "Um.  No... I'm fine." he mumbled, then closed them again.

Cedric nodded a few times and muttered, "Good, good. Glad to hear that, 'cause I'd feel really bad about doing this if it did." Allowing what he'd just said to sink in was not in the game plan, and so he applied the most innocent of smiles he could fathom and immediately carried on in a higher tone.

"I mean, you know about the rule, right?" he asked without too much care of a reply, busy with repositioning himself in the water. "The sulking rule? About what happens when people sulk in the pool?" continued the seemingly pointless questioning... , except that by that point Cedric was floating behind the bummed out wolf, his expression had shifted to a full out grin and mischief gleamed away in his eyes.

"Now this aint really my thing, boy-o..." chimed the terran as he snagged Rystall with one arm, and then directed the other to give the wolf a noogie. "But you need to lighten up! Remember a problem while here, you forgot about it. Someone brings a problem up, you move past it. Give into sulking, you get a noogie!"

Author's Notes: I suppose I should be mentioning that my previous post in which Ced poked Rystall, this one in which he... did far more, and any others for the duration of this thread, all have DF's permission. (Until he tells me otherwise anyways.)

Alraune blinked, then chuckled. "Good rule."

OOC: I never said you could noogie him!  :P  Just kidding, it was actually my idea in the first place.  Permission confirmed

Rystall started as Cedric grabbed him around the neck with one arm and began grinding his knuckles against the erstwhile wolf's head.  "Hey!  Hey!  Stop that!" he protested, gasping and struggling to escape.  When Cedric let him go, he darted away several feet then turned to glare at Cedric.

"I wasn't sulking!" he insisted sulkily.

Cedric whipped an accusing finger up to point at Rystall and proclaimed, "Fibbery!" before he returned to a serious tone, and a somewhat irked expression. While he swam back to one side of the pool, he stated, "You've been all weepy and the like since you got here, but now it seems to have really kicked in. Don?t worry though as I'm not going to ask for an explanation, partly because I think I already know why."

Which he didn't.

"Just don't worry about it is what I suggest. Easier said then done, I know, but this kind of thing works itself out with time. We already know there's nothing else you can really do about it, so try to relax or find something else to occupy your mind with until things've improved. Stressing over it in your mind can be just as pointless as doing it out loud, except that the only one you?ll effect with it is yourself. Know what I mean?"

By the time he had finished offering his advice, which through a fluke could apply to what was the real problem, Cedric had reached one of the ledges and climbed partially out of the pool. He settled himself at the side with little more then his feet resting in the water, hands busy getting the water out of his hair.

Rystall blinked.  "You knew the entire time?" he said incredulously, then looked at Alraune.  "Did you?" 

"Well... I suppose you have a point..." he conceded, but still looked worried.

"Hrm.  Well.  She was being a bit... overbearing though, wasn't she?" he asked hopefully, looking for some clarification that he hadn't done something terribly wrong.

"I have no idea what you're talking about," Alraune responded. "All I know is that you have a lot on your mind and could use some time off. And yes, Taera is kind of forceful, but she's not the only one at fault. The two of you will just have to try and meet each other halfway on this. Trust me.

"If you're worried that you've made a terrible mistake, don't be. There'll be plenty of opportunities to make amends and talk about your relationship. And if worst comes to worst, there are plenty of other wolves you can befriend." Alruane sighed. She couldn't say the same about herself, not with the scarcity of foxes these days.

The sound of Cedric whistling innocently resounded away in his mind alone, among other thoughts. 'So it was Taera that was the problem?! ... Well, er. At least what I said seems to have made sense in regards to, whatever it is he was thinking! So, I'm good then. Yeah... don't look quite as stupid as I should. Hehehe-eh... hrm. Crud.'

Cedric reflexively reached to pull his bandana further down over his eyes, which like his glasses had been when things began, were not there. He ended up scratching the side of his head again to cover it up, and staring off at nothing in particular.

"Eh, I wouldn't worry about it coming to that. Taera doesn't strike me as the sort of gal that'll give up very easy, and I doubt you said or did anything that could've upset her that badly."

Rystall smiled weakly.  "You're right.  I doubt she would give up on me, even if I wanted her to." he agreed.  "She didn't seem angry... but then again, I don't ever remember her really getting angry about anything.  Just... irritated, at most."

He looked briefly uncomfortable.  "So... um.  Huh.  What were we talking about before this?" he asked, looking a bit put off.

"Different viewpoints" reminded Cedric while shifting to a stand, though his main focus was upon Alraune. From the looks of it, now she was the one being bothered by something. Whether that was a worry unrelated to what was going on or the conversation itself, he wasn't about to guess. One mistake that was uncaught, but he found never the less embarrassing, was more then enough for one day. No point risking another.

'Besides, it's not like I can do with her what I did to the boy-o. Not if I want the continued use of my arms!' mused the terran with a mental chuckle. 'Ah well. Guess she and I are going to speak later on about, past details and the like. So if whatever is bothering her, is still doing so at that time... then I'll pry. Maybe.'

Alraune sighed with relief, now that Rystall's sulking episode was all over with. "Well, we just agreed to share our life stories later. You're free to join us if you want." She smirked a little, indicating that last statement was a joke.

Cedric casually went to look at his watch, which he did not have, and then attempted to locate a clock somewhere in his vicinity with a few glances. Naturally, all he saw consisted of the beach and the plant life that ran along it's border. Not a single mysteriously out of place clock to be found.

"Wonder how long I've been lounging around down here." he muttered to himself, having no qualms with thinking this current matter out loud. "Not -too- long compared to the norm. Then again, probably shouldn't spend as much time as I usually would for this sort of thing."

After a sigh of defeat, Cedric looked back to Rystall and Alraune with a query in mind. "Oy! I just remembered a few things I should probably deal with. Like food, for instance. How about you two? Going to stick around here and swim for a while, or... what?"

Alraune shakes her head and swims toward the edge of the pool. "I've wasted enough time here. I've got to get some food for my room." She lifts herself out of the pool and heads toward the changing room. "It was fun talking with you two, though. I've got to try it again soon."
Prenna D'tella/17/Calico/Veterinary Student
Shyssa Wynd/19/Jilaic/Human Studies