Author Topic: (Spaceport) Daydream by the Stream  (Read 1661 times)

Offline daemonschile

• Administrator
  • The Forum Ate My Soul
    • View Profile
(Spaceport) Daydream by the Stream
« on: March 08, 2010, 05:30:55 pm »
Title: Daydream by the Stream

Sub-Title: A whimsical thread...

Creator: Darius Fan

Start Date: February 15 2006, 05:13 PM

End Date: May 2 2006, 12:11 PM

Quote from: Darius Fan
A gold wolf carring a school bag stepped out into the dome-encased field, lifted her head, and inhaled deeply.  She smiled at whatever it was she smelled.  Then she proceeded further in.  She looked around, seeming to search for something.  Occationally, she would see a tree and walk over to it, looking around it as if checking for something.

Finally, she reached a stream, and upon seeing it, her brillant green eyes lit up.  She looked around briefly, then walked over to a tree near the stream.  Setting her bag down to the side, she stretched out on the ground, and put her paws behind her head in a relaxed gesture.  Finally, she dipped her feet in the stream, so they were about half-submerged, then closed her eyes.

Quote from: Doink
A short red vixen wearing a black leather bodysuit wandered through the forest. The noise and crowds in the spaceport were annoying her, and she needed a place to rest and read.

She emerged to find the stream, and the wolf relaxing nearby. She shrugged, willing to accept one wolf over thousands in one place, and sat down at the base of the tree, next to the wolf's bag. She brought out her datapad and began to read the story that she had recently discovered.

The wolf laid there in her relaxed position, unmoving for several moments.  Then one of her ears twitched.

One green eye opened, and swiveled to stare briefly at the fox sitting a short distance away.  Then it closed again.

After a pause, she said in a soft voice, "So, what brings you out here?  Boredom?  Escaping from something? Or just the desire to relax?"

Alraune peeked up and looked at the wolf, then resumed reading. "I just needed a quiet place to read. What about you?"

"Mmm... I just came here to relax myself." Taera said, opening her eyes and looking at the fox.  "It's very relaxing to feel the water run through your footpads... perhaps you should try it sometime."

She eyed the datapad briefly, then asked "What are you reading?"

Alraune shrugs. "It's an Earth story about a group of people who are locked inside a building and have to write a story before they can leave."

She waited a few mitics, then looked up at Taera. "Soaking your footpads?"

Taera chuckled.  "You make it sound like it's just dipping your feet in a puddle.  There's quite a difference between still water and a running stream." she corrected with a smile.

"What is the story called?" she added as an afterthought.

Alraune nodded, then got up and walks toward the stream. She sat down and set her datapad down next to her, then began to unfasten her slippers. The zippers at the front came down, then the zippers in the back. Her exposed feet were colored with a flaming mixture of red and orange, with pink pads thrown in for good measure.

She dipped her feet in the stream, and after a mitic of water flowing through her fur, her ears lowered, her eyelids drooped, and her tail began to twitch. It was obvious that she was enjoying herself. "Hmm. I never noticed how sore my feet were until now.

She picked up her datapad and tried to find her place again. "It's called Haunted, and it's by Chuck Palahniuk. But it includes some short stories in it as part of the plot."

Taera giggled and gave Alraune a lopsided grin "You'd be surprised how often that happens.  People learn to tune out uncomfortable things, and sometimes they'll even go so far that they end up hurting themselves - pulling a muscle, tearing a footpad, stuff like that" she intoned.

Suddenly looking as if struck by an idea, she reached over to her pack, and pulled it over to her.  When she did, it  became obvious that it was very heavy and filled almost to maximum capacity.  She opened it and began rummaging through it, but seemed unable to find what she was looking for.  After a moment, she put her head closer, almost inside the pack, and began grumbling about the disorder inside.  Finally, she let go of the pack with a huff and sulked briefly before saying, "Don't mind me... this happens alot."

Alraune chuckled. "Got a lot of clutter in there, don't you?"

Taera eyed the pack with a dirty glare, as if the clutter was all it's fault, for several seconds.  "Yeah, but I was going to clean it up soon anyway..." she said airily, making a vauge gesture with her hand, and it was obvious that she promised that often, but never did it.

"You know, we've been talking for some time now, and I still don't know your name..." she blurted suddenly, raising an eyebrow at the fox.

"Alraune Belmora."

Alraune waited a few seconds before turning to take a closer look at Taera. "What do you keep in there?"

The wolf inclined her head in a quasi-bowing movement. "And I am Taera Arrakis, explorer extraordinare!" she replied, lifting her arms in an expansive gesture as she grinned, obviously enjoying the opportunity to say that. "As for my trusty pack, it holds just some standard things - school supplies, a datapad, some books, a few rocks I'm sorting through, an earth compass, lunch, some books from the library, several metal spikes, a bag of seeds, samples of dirt, a rope, a canteen filled with juice..."

"Oh, and my collections." she finished, patting the pack fondly.

Quote from: Shippou-chan
Noiya walked out of the spaceport into an open field to relax.  Her husband had decided to listen into one of the science courses after work, and she had managed to get Ruti packed for his overnight stay with a friend, which was sometimes a tedious process, given the kit's short attention span.  She had just waved goodbye to one of her friends in the spaceport afterwards and was looking forward to a night off from her normal routine.

It'll be good to relax out in a nearby field before heading home.  It has been a busy day, after all.

Walking out into the field, she heads to the stream not far from a wolf and another fox, and begins to soak her feet.  Taking in the sights, she spies the two and walks up the stream to see who they might be.

I've nothing I need to do, the least I could do is say hello while I rest.

Alraune sighs and leans back on the slope at the side of the stream. "What kind of collections do you have?"

She reads bit more on her datapad, then looks up and notices the older vixen approach the stream. She rolls her eyes at the new arrival, glad at least that she wasn't noisy. "Hello. Are you here to soak your feet too?"

"I thought I might." replies Noiya pleasantly.  "It has been a busy day for me after all.  I am Noiya.  May I ask your names?"

And the vixen takes a seat closeby, feet still in the stream.

Taera smiled. "Oh, all kinds.  Rocks, leaves, anything that looks interesting to me.  I usually don't like picking flowers though... they're much nicer when they're still alive.  Do you keep any?" she inquired as she looked towards the approaching vixen.

"Hey there.  I'm Taera." said the wolf, smiling, but leaving off the exotic title, not feeling that an adult would appreciate the joke as much. "And this is Alr-"

"Well, I guess she can introduce herself.  What were you doing today?"

"Oh making sure my little spy in training was fully prepared for his mission." jokes Noiya.  "So that he didn't forget anything before he spent the night with a friend.  Then there was the normal shopping, catching up with friends and such to fit in as well."

"So Taera, are you a geologist in training, or wilderness explorer?" Noiya asks, fully aware of the grand dreams those coming of age tended to have.

OOC: Noiya is wearing a simple and modest top with a floral pattern, and a matching knee-length skirt.

Alraune smiled at Noiya. "I'm Alraune Belmora. I take it you have a kit?"

Then she turned to Taera. "So, basically just random nature stuff, then? I don't really collect much of anything. Except books. I love reading."

"Ah yes, and he's a bundle of energy most of the time." Noiya confirms, taking a moment to absorb her surroundings in a manner she wasn't normally able to.

OOC: While not technically bad, I find it a little unusual that Noiya acts as if she had been present during the earlier part of the conversation.  How would she know that Taera is a self proclaimed explorer/geologist if she walked in shortly after Alraune asked Taera what was in her collections?

Maybe I'm nitpicking, but eh, just clearing that up.

"Geology?  Nah... I'd rather see new things than keep staring at the dirt all the time." she answered Noiya with a smile. "Nope, exploring is the life for me."

She glanced at Alraune.  "No, not just nature things... I've got a picture scrapbook too... had it since I was four and figured out how to use my parents' 'toys'.  And I think somewhere back in my old room in Centralis theres a 'My little Shivae' collection, collecting dust." she went on with a faint chuckle.  "Amazing what we spend money and time on in our youth then never touch again.  But books are good."

{OOC} I'm going to say Noiya overheard the 'collections' question and answer, and made an assumption based on that.  She could have overheard it just before she was beside them.

Noiya takes a seat as well, careful not to let her skirt get wet, before listening into the conversation.

Taera reminds me a bit of Ruti.  Lots of energy and curiousity, and lots of things grabbing her limited focus. she thinks as she chuckles a bit to herself.

Alraune laughed when she heard what her companions had to say about kits and being young. Alraune was never like that herself when she was young, but she thought that it would be a nice experience raising a kit like that. "So, I take it you enjoy raising him? He sounds a bit young for college, though."

"He has a good 5 years before he's ready for the academy." Noiya laughs.  "Although he would leap at a chance to attend now if it were offered.  So what sort of classes are you taking?" Noiya asks, curious about the vixen.

Alraune turns to Noiya. "Me? I'm taking Security classes."

Taera opened her mouth to say something, but abruptly changed her mind and went silent, closing her eyes and relaxing.  She decided it might be more fun at the moment to listen two the two vixens talk.

"Security? That sounds like a good job.  May I ask why you decided on Security?" asks Noiya, still smiling.

I wonder what Taera was going to say.  Hopefully nothing important.

Alraune shrugs. "I'm good at it, I think I'll enjoy it, and it's a necessary job. Someine has to keep the kits safe."

"I've not heard of a lot happening out here, really, but you never know.  Especially whenever we contact Earth.  I am glad to hear you are so inspired." replies Noiya.

Getting a bit bored, Taera finally opened her eyes and spoke.  "I know... I can't wait!  It'll be great to see all those forests and plains... maybe even see some of those quadrupedal wolves I heard about." she said whistfully.

"What was that about your son being a spy?" she asked Noiya curiously.

"Oh, my son likes to read a lot of spy and detective books, and he likes to pretend he's the main character.  It's amusing in its own way, although I'm certain he gets on other people's nerves on occasion.  My own childhood was a bit less imaginative, to be honest.  A trip to Terra would be an interesting experience.  Anything besides seeing our ancestors you're looking forward to whenever you can travel to Terra?"

A chuckle was the response. "Ancestors? My father would have thrown a fit to hear you say that... never quite believed that.  Not that he's around to worry about it.  But I'll accept that as well as the next person." Taera giggled.  "Ah, but mostly I'd like to see the plant life, the animals, the groves... I like wilderness."

"Your son sounds like quite a handful, though.  I can't wait till I have cubs." she added in that same whistful tone she spoke in when talking about visiting Terra.

Alraune chuckled, too. "Sounds as good as anything else, really. I'm starting to wonder what Terran foxes are like." She begins to get an unusual vision about herself owning a pet fox, and she laughs out loud.

Her laughter tapers off and she shakes her head. "I'd love to try raising a family myself someday."

"It sounds like you'll be in for a treat whenever they make full contact." she muses to Taera.  "I wonder when that'll be.  I've only had the chance to chat with a couple of humans, and I've never thought to ask about our Terran equivalents.  I seem to recall that they were mostly four-legged though."

Then, turning for the moment to the topic of kits and cubs, Noiya replies, "Quite a rewarding experience, parenting.  I wouldn't trade my job as mother for anything else.  I wasn't quite prepared for it though.  I don't think anyone ever is."

Alraune closes her eyes and smiles. "But that doesn't mean we can't try."

She shifts her tail and turns herself around. The grass on the bank of the stream was pretty itchy and her tail needed to be scratched, pronto!
She rubbed vigorously on her tail and smiled gently. "It's one of the hardest jobs there are, am I right?"

"It's not too bad if you go about it the right way." answers Noiya.  "The main thing is to teach the kit early on to respect your authority, but also show that you do genuinely love them.  Establish some sort of order when they are young, and you'll have fewer problems."

"Ruti still misbehaves, but I have no problem calling him back in line, and he knows what I expect of him.  Thankfully, I talked with my mother a lot when I was a young adult, and I had the help of other mothers to help me on parenting when I had him."

Taera laughed.  "But, in a way, isn't it their misbehavior and antics what makes raising a cub so fun?"  she asked, grinning. "If they just sat around and did everything you told them to, why would anyone have cubs, except to furthur thier species?"

Alraune smiled and reminesced about her early kithood. Being raised by Gale Monoroe was definitely different from normal methods. He was ruthless and unorthodox to most foxes, so much so that she doubted she could converse about him among normal poeple safely, and yet...

Alraune sat up and rested her head in her hands. Monoroe did have some good qualities. He knew the value of hard work, he didn't take abuse from anyone, and most importantly, not once did he ever strike or rape Alraune. She was the one fox that he held sacred, above being the target of his frustration and rage.

"True, never a boring moment in the process.  But it still does your heart good to see that they learn that which you teach them." replies Noiya, smiling.  "Not only because it means you're having success, but also because you know they'll grow up to be successful as well."

Alraune's tail twitched in contentment. "Speaking of which, what were your parents like?"

"My parents were both hard-working and loving people who insisted that I also value those same concepts.  I like to think I take after them." Noiya smiles as she remembers back then.

"What were yours like?" she asks of both Taera and Alraune.

OOC: Now you've done it!  You've asked her a question about her family!  Get ready for a lecture! :P

With a faint giggle, Taera rolled over onto her belly and reached for her pack.  "Tell you what, I'll show you!" she exclaimed, them began rummaging through her pack again, her tail twitching and swishing excitedly.  After a moment, she found what she was looking for and removed it. 

As she was pulling it out, she backed up slightly, and her tail almost smacked Alraune on the nose.  Without noticing, she turned back around, now holding a black book about as big as her head, and a little more than an inch thick.  "My photo album!" she explained, waving it around slightly.

She opened the book, and after flipping a few pages, came to a stop.  She put the book down on the ground and turned it towards the two foxes.  Both pages were filled with pasted pictures that starred one wolf in particular - a male pale brown wolf, almost tan, with bright green eyes that were the same shade at Taera's.  One picture, at the top of the left page, was of him holding a small wad a gray cloth with a tiny golden head, asleep, sticking out of one end.  He looked very proud of the contents of that small fold of cloth.

Another, in the center of the sam page, was the same wolf, only this time he looked older, and he was standing next to a very bored-looking adolecent grey wolf with blue eyes, who obviously wanted to be doing other things than posting for a picture.  Perhaps using the brand-new hoverboard he was holding under his arm.  The older, tan wolf had a paw tightly gripped on his shoulder, but was smiling

But the picture that really caught the eye was at the bottom of the right page.  In that picture, the wolf was laying in a bed, simply starting into space, his mouth hanging slightly open.  A younger-looking Taera was sitting a chair next to his bed, just holding the wolf's hand and starting dejectedly at the ground.

"This is my father, Antario." she said simply, tapping the page, obviously expecting questions.

Alraune sighed. "My father used some... unorthodox methods to raise me. I doubt thta you'd want to hear about it."

She leaned forward and took a closer look at the album. "Somehow I don't think he likes getting his picture taken," she said, pointing at the gray wolf in the second picture.

"So what was your father like?", asks Noiya, noting that he had likely passed away, given the last photo.  "He looks like quite the proud father."

She only has a vague notion something is probably amiss with the other vixen's past.  She decides for the moment not to press any question about Alraune's father.

Grinning, Taera nodded. "Yes, he was, even if he often remarked I'd make him gray before his time.  I was quite the unruly cub..." she chuckled, but her mood plummeted mentally.

Not that his fur ever had the chance...

She looked towards Alraune, forcing a smile.  "Oh, Gared's always like that.  Couldn't wait to grow up, get away.  He's in the military now, but I think his term is almost over... but it wasn't entirely his choice." she added darkly, then explained,  "Mom found him popping sedatives in his room, when he forgot to lock the door..."

And what an uproar that caused...

"But I think he'll be fine the next time I see him." she finished brightly, obviously believing that completely.

"Well, your parents sound like people I would have enjoyed talking to.  You just remember all the things that made him who he was, and try not to mourn over his loss too much.  Both of my parents died horribly during the Plague, shortly after I left for Centralis.  They never even got to see their grandchild."

Noiya sighs a bit at this but then cheers herself up with the next thought.  "They would have been very proud of young Ruti though.  He has his father's intelligence. You know, I think I want to have another child soon."

"I don't know much about military matters of the Wolves, but from I have heard, I have no doubt he'll return from it a strong, wise, and mature wolf.  Responsibility tends to do that to people."

Alraune sighs. "Okay. I guess I can tell you about my father. I can tell you that he wouldn't have put up with sedatives in his household." She chuckles at the thought.

"His name was Monoroe. When I first met him, I didn't know he was my father. I just thought he was another gouttouve who lived in the slums with us."

"It certainly sounds like you had a rough childhood," replies Noiya, as she recalls how much most families looked down upon the gouttouve as outcasts back then.

Somehow, I get the feeling Taera's parent's didn't put up with it either.

Taera cocked her head curiously "Gouttouve..." Taera muttered, frowning.  "I've heard that somewhere... doesn't it have something to do with fur color?"

"But your father sounds like he at least cared, if he didn't want redeyes in his house." she added, then remembered something Noiya had said.  "What was that about a fox plague?  That also sounds like something I heard about somewhere..."

Alraune frowned. "The fox had a caste system, where your fur color dictated what your job was. The gouttouve were those who broke this rule, and were knocked down to the bottom of society as a consequence. My mother and her mate were shipping magnates who were implicated in a scandal. Monoroe was soldier who refused to kill innocent foxes during Rashon's genocide campaign. It made him a very bitter todd."

She sighed. "The plague killed everyone in Vixinte. Monoroe and I were lucky enough to have moved to Centralis by then, but all of Monoroe's friends took it full on. I suppose it could be interpreted as some sort of poetic justice for the pride and cruelty of the fox nation, but we knew that it didn't choose its targets. It took those who never meant anyone any harm as well as those who fully deserved it." She looked at Noiya with a resigned expression. "I'm sure your parents belonged in the former category."

"Gouttouve is a term for foxes who did not abide by the caste system in place.  They were the outcasts of Fox culture back before the Fox Plague. " explains Noiya.

"As for the Plague, it was a horrible epidemic among the Fox.  Many Fox died of the disease, and many more died at the hands of those in the madness of the last phases of the disease.  Such I was told anyways.  Thankfully I never saw it in person, and I don't know much about it beyond that."

"On to happier topics though,  what was your mother like?", asks Noiya.

OOC: I wonder if it was some form of rabies...

Taera sighed.  "That is terrible." she agreed, then reached for her book with a nod at Noiya's question.

After she picked it up, she flipped several pages, then decided on one.  She set the album down again turning it towards the others.

The primary feature of these two pages was a gold and white female wolf with blue eyes.  She seemed to enjoy wearing her hair long and loose, and was almost always smiling, but that could have just been posing for the pictures.

One picture of particular note was one featuring a very young Taera protectively clutching an egg almost as large as her head, which the older wolf looked very distressed about.  Barely visible in the backround was a young Gared rolling on the floor with laughter.

"This is my mother, Ailia." Teara said simply.

Alraune looked at Taera's egg, then Gared, then the egg again. "Do we want to know what happened there?"

With a small giggle and a skyward glance, Taera said, "I don't know, do you?"

"It does sound like it would be an amusing story." says Noiya.  "At least your brother seems to think so" she adds with a chuckle.

Taera tapped the egg she was holding in the picture.  "That..." she explained, pausing dramatically, "Is a shivae egg."

"You know, I've never actually seen a shivae egg before." Noiya admits.  "So you had a pet shivae?  That must have been an interesting experience."

Taera laughed at that thought.  "No, no... never had a pet shivae..." she clarified.  "I got that one from the nearby forest.  That's why mom was so freaked out..."

She giggled again at the memory.

"It wasn't protected by an adult?  Wild shivae are usually very protective of their clutch, and very dangerous when defending them."

Taera raised an eyebrow "Do I look dead to you?" she asked jokingly.  "No, the egg was dead and abandoned, but that didn't bother my parents as much as the concept that thier only daughter would willingly approach a shivae nest..."

Alraune looked somewhat relieved. "Oh. Does your brother usually find these sorts of situations funny?"

Taera rolled her eyes.  "Usually.  He's got an odd sense of humor." she said.  "But it was funny... I came running into the house, shouting "Mommy, mommy, look what I found!"

"I think Daddy thought it was funny too, but he was probably worried that Mom would get mad at him if he laughed, so Gared was the only one there laughing.  And she did get mad at him..." she added.

Noiya chuckles to herself and smiles but says nothing.

So very much like Ruti..

Alraune smiled. "So what happened after that?"

Taera chuckled.  "Then, mom got really mad and put me house arrest.  Even put a lock on my door, since I, eh, had a habit of wandering off." she continued.  "Sure, it worked, for a couple of weeks.  Until I figured out how to force it open."

"I get the feeling my cubhood was very stressful for my parents..." she added as almost an afterthought.  "Oh, and I never did find out what happened to that egg."

"I haven't met a single mother yet who wasn't worried their children would turn out bad.." Noiya laughs.

Alraune shrugs. "Even if the circumstances aren't that good, there's always a chance, I suppose."

She paused, then got up and looked at Noiya. "Have I told you about my brother yet?"

"I don't  believe you have.  Do tell." Noiya replies, happy to listen.

Alraune reaches into her backpack and pulls out a photo of two foxes. One was Alraune, but she looked a few rots younger than she was now. She was dressed in a classy, non-revealing business suit, and her feet were bootless. The other fox standing next to her was a blue fox, about six inches taller than her, and wearing a similar-looking suit. His hair had an orange tint to it, and he looked quite mature, definitely an adult, but still a long ways from middle age.

"That's him," Alraune said. "His name is Jeice, and he's about twelve years older than me. He runs a delivery company in Centralis. I moved there when I was twelve and he's looked after me ever since."

"Sounds like an upstanding young fellow.  May I ask the name of the company?  And what is he like personally?" Noiya asks curiously, wondering if perhaps she was familiar with it, and always curious about the people important to other's lives.

"Centralis Express. He's friendly, charitable, and supportive, but most definitely upper-class. You won't believe how often he's tried to convince me to wear a dress."

"You would look good in a dress." Noiya replies.  "Centralis Express, very useful service his company provides.  It does sound like's he's someone to strive to be like."

Taera closed one eye and tilted her head, examining Alraune critically for several moments.  "I think you'd look beautiful in blue dress.  I'd even buy it for you, if you'd promise to wear it." she offered.

"Hmmm... pale blue, most likely." she added to herself in a quiet voice.

Alraune rolls her eyes. "I don't like wearing dresses. They make me feel fragile."

Taera, who was wearing a dress herself, scowled.  "Come on, now. It's just a piece of cloth designed to make you look pretty and enhance your form.  There's no magic quality about it that makes you shatter when someone touches you." she snipped.  "And I still think you'd look lovely in a blue dress."

"Nothing fragile about a pretty vixen unless the vixen was fragile before the dress was put on." says Noiya with a chuckle.

"But don't mind me.  You are pretty as you are."

Alraune sighed. "Ah, well. I guess it's not going to kill me."

She paused and looked back into the stream. "And I suppose a blue dress would match my eyes."

Taera beamed.  "That's the spirit!  Still want me to buy you that dress then?" she blurted, grinning in anticipation.  "Not that we have to get it now, mind you."

A pale grey wolf slipped into the park, clearly trying not to be noticed, which of course defeated the purpose.  He briefly searched for somewhere to sit down, then selected a tree near the stream and darted over to it, failing to notice the three females relaxing several meters downstream in his haste.

Noiya takes little notice of the new wolf, but comments gently to Alraune.

"It's ok to try something new every once in a while, so long as you remember who you are."

"Sure, whatever works for you," she said. She turned around and saw Rystall. "Hello. Feel free to join us if you want," she rattled off drily.

Rystall jolted in surprise.  He hadn't noticed his neighbors.  "Oh, um, erm.  Hello.  I- I'm okay." he stammered, somewhat nervous now that three people were staring at him.  "I wasn't expecting to see you here, A- Alraune..."

Taera giggled, then leaned towards Alraune, eyes still locked on the new wolf.  "He's cute.  Is he your boyfriend?  He seems to know your name..." she whispered teasingly.

Noiya silently listens and watches the young wolf with a smile on her face.

Alraune blinks in surprise. "Oh, it's you, Rystall." She lies back down and raises an eyebrow at Taera. "No he's not my boyfriend. We just met today, and I only date foxes."

Taera gave Alraune a teasing, but obviously fake suggestive look.  "Only foxes, eh? I'm sure." she quipped.  "Heh, that's an interesting name.  I used to know a Rystall too, some time ago.  I didn't think it was so popular."

She raised her voice slightly, looking at the new wolf again.  "If you want to come over, it's really okay.  We don't mind.  You look rather lonely under that tree..." she offered, scooting aside slightly to make room for him as she awaited his response.

Rystall wilted slightly at all the recognition and attention he was getting.  He was not used to people being genuinely friendly, and had a habit of suspecting alterior motives.  But he had backed himself pretty throughly into a corner... he couldn't leave now without being rude, and he had been brought up not to act that way.

Looks like I'm trapped... again. he thought, and sighed.

"Um.  Okay... I'm coming." he said nervously, and scooped up the book he had brought with him, heading over to sit in the offered seat next to the gold wolf and Alraune.

"S- so... what brings you out here?" he asked in a feeble attempt to sound nonchalant.

Strange... I could swear I've seen this wolf somewhere... perhaps an old bully?

Alraune glared at Taera, then sighed and dipped her hand in the water. "We're getting foot massages. How about you?"

"Now, now,  let's all be peaceable.  It's a beautiful day." Noiya replied.

"Besides, it's really quite useless for a Fox to date any other species, Taera.  Something about our biology.  I'm Noiya.  A pleasure to meet you, Rystall."  Noiya says, offering a handshake to the new wolf.

"Exactly my point," Alraune said, letting the stream run over her hand. "I want a mate I can have kits with."

Rystall shifted slightly, still nervous.  "Um.  I just came out here to read."  he said quietly, then managed a slight smile.  "Perhaps I should have used the bushes?"

He accepted the handshake delicately, barely gripping Noiya's hand.  "You too.  T- thanks." he replied, tensing up slightly and looking uncomfortable at the mention of mates and kits.

Oh no... what have I gotten myself into?

"Well, maybe that's a problem with you, but I think he's cute."

"Whuh?!  Um!" he stammered, scooting away from Taera involuntarily, almost forgetting that Alraune was that way, and stopping just inches from knocking into her.  He barely heard her name in his shock.

"Uh, hello." he answered warily.

Taera returned the glare with a grin and a slight twist of her head.

Haven't they ever heard of casual dating?  Geez...

She looked skyward in faint exasperation.  "Well, maybe that's a problem with you, but I think he's cute." she replied, smiling widely at Rystall, and laughed as he tried to skitter off.  "Don't hurt yourself, Rystall!"

"I'm Taera, by the way." she added with a little wave of greeting.

"No need to be nervous.  I'm already married, and these two don't seem to be looking seriously just yet."  Noiya says with a laugh, before leaning in and whispering with a bit of mischief, "But I could be wrong about your fellow Wolf there."

{OOC} I can see why you're dividing the responses DF, but it may be easier simply to combine them.  Either way is fine though, so long as it's easy to follow.

Alraune sighs. "Ugh. I know where this is going. Wake me up if you need me." And with that she leaned back and closed her eyes, appearing to sleep, but still listening to the conversation.

Taera stuck out her tongue at Alraune, who didn't notice, as her eyes were closed.  "No wonder she doesn't have any boyfriends..." she muttered in a quiet voice that she knew Alraune could hear.

She eyed Noiya with a trace of new respect.  And here I thought there wasn't a fun bone in her body.

"Yes, perhaps I am..." she teased, scooting closer to Rystall.  When she was close enough, she began to lean towards him, grinning broadly.  "You look like you'd make a fine mate."

"Uh, guh, buh.  T- that's very n-nice of you?" he said in a high voice, leaning as far back as he could from the crazed - in his mind - wolfess.

-splash-

Unfortunately, it was too far.  He toppled into the stream.  Startled, he began to flail uselessly.  After what seemed like a long time, someone grabbed his paw and pulled him out of the water.

"-cough- Thanks! -gasp-"

"I'm sorry!" said someone next to him.  After a moment, he recognized the voice.  "You okay?"

He turned his head and moved his long, wet hair out of his face so he could glare at the golden wolf. "I'm fine." he grumbled.  She didn't look sorry at all, and seemed to be having a hard time keeping a straight face.

Then she began to laugh.

"It not funny!" he insisted, trying to squeeze the water of of his dripping hair.

"No... it's not that.  You just remind me so much of another Rystall I used to know." she chuckled.

OOC: I'm not sure if anyone noticed, but he missed her name the first time.

Noiya chuckles to herself.  Wouldn't it be odd if these two knew each other?

"Now, now.  I'm an off-duty parent for the moment.  Don't make me have to chaperone you two." Noiya teases with a laugh.

Alraune sighs. "Trying to sleep here, Taera."

Taera stared at Alraune for several moments, irritated, then rolled her eyes.  Without pausing, she put her wet arm into the stream and scooped up a handful, splashing it all over Alruane.  "Hey!  No sleeping allowed, especially if you're going to be a grouch about it." she intoned in a voice of false seriousness.

"Arrg!  I'm never going to get this water out!" Rystall moaned abruptly, completely focused on emptying the contents of his massive locks of hair.

"Oh, I think I have a towel or cloth in here somewhere." Taera assured him, grabbing her pack and dragging it closer.  "One moment."

Alraune swings her arm, dripping water on the ground. She narrows her eyes and bares her teeth. "Why you little..." She pauses and sighs. "Ah, you're not worth it." She grins and splashes Taera back.

The splash hit Taera full on the side of her face, and also splattered her dry arm.  "Ack!" she spurted, surprised, then turned and raised an eyebrow. "I'll get you for that, don't worry, but we should probably stop now, before we ruin something."

"Plus, I think Noiya is getting irritated.  I'd hate for her to get caught in the crossfire..."

She turned back to her pack, and after a few moments, produced a small, dry towel.  "Here, use this." she said, offering the towel to Rystall.  "You'll never get dry just squeezing the water out of your hair."

"Thanks..." he grumbled, taking the towel and running it along his hair.

"So, where did you come from?" she asked him after a pause.

"Centralis." he said distractedly.

"Oh!  Me too!"

Alraune's face went slack before she spoke to Taera again. "Y'know, I was wondering, Taera; is there any chance that this guy-" She pointed to Rystall. "-is the wolf you used to know?"

"Don't worry so much about me." Noiya smiles.  "Motherhood has a way of installing great patience.  I'll let you know if anything gets out of hand." Noiya adds directly but pleasantly.

Taera eyed Rystall, who was still trying to dry the three and a half foot sponge that was his hair, dubiously.  "I dunno... he's soft of... well fed for that..." she replied.  "Though I suppose-"

"Taera?  Taera?" said Rystall suddenly, looked up again and stared at the gold wolf.  "You're Taera?  Taera Arrakis?"

"-that people can change.  Squid." she grumbled, rolling her eyes and burying her face in her paws in embarrasment. "Ugh.  I must be really thick..."

"Hey, Rystall Humlee... been a long time, eh?" she said, vauge and muffled.

Alraune nodded. "I thought so. So how exactly do you two know each other?"

Taera sighed.  "Looong story." she replied.  "Don't think you'd really find it interesting."

"Unless you want to tell her?" she added, grinning at Rystall, some of her old mischief rising again.

"Uh.... No?  I don't have to, do I?" he said hopefully.

Taera turned her smile to Alraune.  "Depends.  What do you think?" she asked.

Noiya listens quietly as she plans her afternoon in the back of her mind.

She was disinclined to interrupt a reunion.

Alraune thinks for a minute, then shrugs. "I don't know. What does it involve?"

"She found me in some bushes, covered in old food." Rystall put in dully. "And she was nice enough not to laugh and kick me like the other wolves."

Taera laughed.  "Well, I guess that sums it up, as unpoetic as it sounds." she agreed.  "And we were pretty good friends after that."

Rystall growled faintly, but there was not malice in the sound.  "And you haven't changed a bit." he grumbled in irritated tone.

"Oh, come on!  You're not still mad at me about the whole stream thing, are you?" she giggled.

"Humph." he grumped, then after a pause, he sighed.  "No, not really.  But it's going to take me forever to get my fur dry."

"Why would people want to humiliate you?" Alraune asked. "Was it something you did?"

Rystall blinked at Alraune in faint confusion.  "Huh?  I thought we already talked about this..." he said. "They harrassed me because I was scrawny and couldn't do much about it."

He turned back to Taera with a faint smile.  "So, how long have you been stalking me?" he asked wryly.

"What?  I haven't been stalking you!  When did I ever stalk you?" Taera squeaked, surprised.

Rystall rolled his eyes.  "How about all through transition school?" he replied. "I wouldn't have thought something as trivial as moving to another city would have stopped one as tenacious as you..."

"That wasn't stalking!  We were just close friends." she insisted.

"Uh huh.  Appearently close enough to warrant you... ambushing me... as I left the bathroom." the gray wolf put in dryly. "Multiple times."

"Rystall... is this really the time to talk about that?" she mumbled, looking very embarrased, then muttered,  "Besides, that was a coincedence.  That happened twice.  Not intentional."

"Of course." Rystall said simply, smiling and beginning to dry off his ears.

Alraune sputtered. "Couldn't do... what are you? There's always something you can do! If you don't want grief from people, don't take it!" She stops and shakes her head. "Sorry. It just really annoys me when people don't stand up for themselves."

Taera bristled faintly and glared at Alraune silently.

Rystall just looked at her sadly and said.  "You think I didn't try?  Got the stuffing beat out of me anyway." he said bitterly. "Couldn't run away from all of them either, with their fancy expensive hoverboards."

Alraune blinked and sighed. She talked in a softer tone this time, deliberately ignoring Taera's silent hostility. "Well, at least you tried. So did Taera help you with your bully problem?"

Rystall's ear twitched, but he didn't turn around.  "In a sense.  She can be very... vicious... when she wants to." he resonded.  "And protective."

"Yes, I saw that, Taera.  Calm down." he murmured, still drying his hair. "I doubt Alraune meant any harm."

Taera had the grace to look abashed.  "Well, she shouldn't be so rude, anyway." she mumbled.

"And here I thought I had an afternoon away from children." Noiya sighs.

"Do you need my help to sort this out, or shall I enjoy my time off?"  Noiya calmly asks, looking at all three in general, and not at any particular person. 

Her look reveals she is serious, and perhaps a little agitated, but unwilling to referee if she isn't wanted.

Alraune shakes her head. "No, it's fine." She turns to Taera. "I'm sorry if I offended you. I know I shouldn't be like this, but I always seem to have issues with people, especially sensitive people." She lies back on the ground and stares into the ceiling. "I'll try not to start anything anymore."

Rystall smiled.  "The offer is appreciated, but I dont' think there was ever any real danger." he answered. "Everyone's rude once an a while, whether they intend it or not."

He looked mournfully at the cloth in his hand, which was now so damp that it served only to spread water around.  "I don't suppose anyone you have any more?" he asked Taera hopefully.

The gold wolf shook her head in response.  "Sorry, Rystall, that was it." she replied.

"Great.  Now I get to air dry, and smell funny.  Ugh." he muttered, then leaned back, relaxing.  "So, how long have you three been here?"

"I've only been here half an hour or so, not sure about these lovely ladies." Noiya answers.

She seems satisfied all is OK now.

Rystall chuckled.  "No, no. I meant here, at the academy." he clarified.

Taera frowed and began searching her pack for anything that could be used as a makeshift towel.

Alraune sighed. "I only just got here recently. The security classes so far are embarrasingly easy. Why? Is there something I should know about this place?"

"A year and a half, although I don't take any classes myself.  Although I have made use of the library.  Some good books on cooking and cuisine in there."

Rystall frowned and stared at Alraune.  "Something you should know?  Like what?" he asked, looking slightly confused.

He seemed to lose intrest in her as he turned towards Noiya.  "Really?  I didn't know!  I'd like to see those... what part of the library are they in?" he inquired, brightening signifigantly.

Taera seemed oblivious to the conversation, and had her muzzle almost buried in her pack, and she rummaged through it, but she didn't seem frantic, just focused.

"One of the library workers can point out the section on culinary arts.  They tell me the non-fiction is organized very well by subject."

{OOC}Cyantian library organization would be done in a scheme similar to the Dewey Decimal System, or the system used by the Library of Congress, although I imagine the specifics would be slightly different.

Alraune shrugged. "I'm not that familiar with the library, myself. There are probably some people you can ask, though. I remember there was one boy at transitional school who practiacally lived in a library." She smirks at the thought of her old, odd classmate.
Prenna D'tella/17/Calico/Veterinary Student
Shyssa Wynd/19/Jilaic/Human Studies

Offline daemonschile

• Administrator
  • The Forum Ate My Soul
    • View Profile
Re: (Spaceport) Daydream by the Stream
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2010, 05:31:28 pm »
Rystall smiled.  "I'll have to look into that." he said thoughtfully.  "What kind of books are-"

"Squid!  There's nothing in here!  Nothing!" Taera fumed suddenly, making Rystall flinch reflexively.  "I can't believe I didn't bring a towel or something!"

After Rystall recovered, which took several seconds, he said.  "Don't worry about it.  You're guilty of no misjudgement." he assured her.  "I doubt you were expecting to run into an old friend and subsequently make him fall into a stream."

"Still..." she moped, mortified.

"Please.  It's no trouble." he insisted. In an effort to get her mind on other things, he added "What have you three been talking about before I got here?"

A moment later, he looked vaguely worried, as he remembered walking in to hear about choosing mates.

I hope I haven't gotten myself into something...

"Family mostly." answers Noiya.  "So what your family like, Rystall?"

Rystall thought about it. "Well, uhm... They're very nice?" he answered, seeming unsure of how to start..  "We aren't the wealthiest family, but we still get along fine..."

"I still hear from my younger brother, Ramahl, and we write to each other fairly often." he went on, warming a bit to the subject.  "He's just starting school now, and he's a bit insecure about it."

Taera grinned. "I'll bet he's adorable." she blurted.

"Heh.  Yeah, I guess he is.  He's a very nice brother." Rystall agreed.

Alraune laughed out loud at this last remark. It made her think of her own brother. "Ha ha ha ha! Yeah... I think Jeice is looking for someone too. But I don't think you're it!"

Taera rolled her eyes.  "Like I'd care.  Not interested in any foxes right now." she blandly, carefully avoiding glancing at Rystall. She cocked her head curiously. "But I'm wondering why you're telling me this..."

Rystall alternated wide-eyed looks between the two. "Uh... heheheh.  So..." he giggled nervously.  "Still interested in hearing about my family?"

Squid... they've started up again... why me?

Alraune blushed intensely. "Ummm, well, I kinda got this image and... eh, forget it." She shook her had and turned to Rystall. "Please continue."

OOC: Doink, could you clean out your Inbox?

Rystall blinked, clearly a little surprised that someone actually cared to hear him finish his story. "Oh.  Uhm, okay..." he fumbled, collecting himself. "Well... my mother, Faye, works in a delivery service, and my father... he sells artwork.  Sculptures, paintings... a variety of things.  He likes working with wood most, though."

He looked as if suddenly remembering something.  "Oh, and my father's name in Octavus." he added, pronouncing it with a hard a sound, and blushed faintly.

"What delivery company does she work for?" Taera asked him.

"Oh, she works for... for... uh.  I.. I can't remember..." he finished, looking embarrased again.

"Centralis Express?" Alraune offered.

OOC: I knew she'd say that. :P

Rystall thought for a moment, then shook his head.  "I don't think that was it.  Sorry." he replied.

"Well, if you remember, you can tell us." Taera put in, scooting slightly closer to the other wolf, while trying to disguise it as a stretch.

"I will.  Who are your parents, and what are they like?" he asked Alraune. "Well, your whole family, I guess, too."

Noiya meanwhile has been listening and nodding, and not saying much because there really hasn't been much to say.

"Glad to hear you have reliable family members to depend on.  I'm afraid I've taken up too much of your time, and I had meant to treat myself to a good massage.  I do hope to see you all around again."

Noiya gets up and prepares to leave.  "I have enjoyed it." she says with a smile before departing.

{OOC} Beyond any last messages and such, Noiya is out of play.

"Bye, Noiya," Alraune calls out as she leaves.

"As for your question, Rystall, my mother and her mate used to be important shipping magnates in Vixinte, but they were moved to the slums when Rashon came into power. My biological father was a bit of a loser; he had a lot of issues that he never resolved when he was taking care of me. I lost patience with him and ran away to Centralis when I was twelve.

"My brother Jeice has done much better, though. He runs the Centralis Express delivery service and was a very good provider. So I guess it all evened out in the end."

Rystall waved to the departing fox.  "Have a nice day, Noiya!" he called.

He blinked at Alraune.  "Oh.  Right.  I think you told be about this before.  Sorry." he apologized.

"So, um, anything in particular you two had in mind to d - what are you doing?" he asked Taera un utter confusion, who had been stealthily scooting closer.

"Nothing!  Just stretching." she said innocently, giving him a winning smile and stretching her arms to demonstrate.

"Oh.  Okay... so what did you two have in mind?" he asked again.

Alraune ducked to avoid Taera's arms. "Well, I went from reading a book to massaging my feet, so  to answer your question, I'm not sure what comes next."

"Um." Rystall said intelligently. "I-I don't know, either."

Taera raised a finger.  "We could go for a walk?" she suggested.

Alraune lifted her feet out of the stream. "Fine with me. Got a towel?"

Taera gave Alraune a long, expressionless stare.  "Yes, Alraune, I have a towel.  I've just been hiding it from Rystall." she said finally, rolling her eyes. 

Rystall's mouth opened slightly in surprise. "You do?  That's not very nice..." he said, looking back at her with a faint smile.

Taera sighed and shook her head. "Seriously, though, the only towel I had was this one." she finished, holding up the damp towel Rystall had been using.

Alraune retrieved the Taera's towel and attempted to dry off her feet, as well as those parts of her that got splashed. After she was done, she tossed it back to Taera and put her boots back on. "Well, that was relaxing. Are we ready to go?"

Taera stood up, not bothering to use the towel, and just put it back inside the pack.  "Yeah, I'm ready." she said, giving her feet several small shakes to remove most of the water.  "What about you, Rystall?"

"I'm... damp, but I guess I walk would be nice.  Might dry off faster that way." he agreed, standing and making a face as his clothes make a squiish noise.  "Comfortable."

"Where to?  Any ideas?" Taera asked, offering to let Alraune pick.

Alraune thought for a moment while picking up her datapad and bringing her book back up, then pointed down the stream. "How about over there?"

Taera smiled.  "That sounds good." she agreed, and looked over to Rystall with a wide, friendly grin.  "You coming?"

"Oh, um.  Okay." he replied, a little put off, like any sensible creature would be, at her smile. "Lead the way."

Alraun walked along the side of the stream a fair distance from the water. She paged through her datapad, picking up where she left off in her book. A few seconds after she started, she blinked in surprise, then her eyes widened in shock. Apparently this was no ordinary book.

Taera leaned forward slightly, trying to read over Alruane's shoulder.  "What are you reading?" she asked the fox curiously.

"Probably a human book... she seems to like those..." Rystall put in quietly.

Alraune blinked. "Yeah, it's a Terran book..." Her ears twitched and her eyes turned to see Taera's nose at close range. "And I don't think you'd like it very much." She pulled the book away from Taera's line of vision. "Didn't I already tell you about this, anyway?"

(OOC: I believe Alraune identified the book at the beginning of this thread.)

OOC: Yes, but I forgot... therefore, she did too.  Can't blame her, though. 

If I ran across an old boyfriend, I'd forget some things too.  (Don't tell Rystall I said that... he'd get embarrassed.)

Taera blinked.  "Oooh, yeah.  Haunted, wasn't it?  Sorry about that." she apologized, looking embarrassed.  "Must have slipped my mind."

A sly grin crept onto her muzzle.  "What's it about?" she teased.  "Is it any good?"

Rystall rolled his eyes silently behind her.

Alraune sighed. "Is it any good? That depends on if you can take a close look at a hovertrans accident without fainting." Her tone of voice indicates that she's dead serious.

Taera frowned slightly.  "What a morbid analogy.  Yet, it doesn't tell one much." she commented.  "It could mean the story is sad, like seeing friends who were killed in a hovertrans accident.   Or it could be referring to the violence involved in such an incident."

"Or perhaps even that it relates to the apparent futility of life, since we will all inevitably die one day, whether from old age or our bodies impacting solid metal at a high velocity." she went on, all trace of humor gone.  "Which is it?"

Rystall stared at her with wide eyes, still not used to her sudden changes in mood.

"Well, I'd say your second guess is closest to the mark, although not entirely correct. Here." She passed the book to Alraune. "Try a few chapters and you'll see what I mean. Don't give it to Rystall, though. I don't think he could take the strain."

Taera nodded, then without another word, plunged into the book.

Rystall looked faintly affronted at Alraune's comment.  "What is that supposed to mean?" he demanded, drawing himself up to look imposing, but overall the effect was rather weak.

Alraune rolled her eyes at Rystall's attempted bravado. "Look, Rystall, I'm not insulting you. This is an ugly book. It's really ugly. I sincerely doubt that you'd enjoy reading it."

Rystall wilted signifigantly at her words.  "Oh.  Well, um.  If- if you say so." he mumbled, looking away.

Taera glanced up from the book.  "Oh, quit flirting, you two." she teased mildly, then looked back into the book.

"I don't think this is exactly flirting..." Rystall muttered.

"Yeah!" Alraune scoffed. "I mean, what goes through your head? Seriously!"

"Denial is sometimes the strongest confirmation!" Taera sang, still reading the book.

Rystall looked uncomfortable.  "I'm not so sure about that, Taera..." he put in hesitantly.

Alraune glared at Taera. "Aren't YOU the one with the crush on Rystall?"

Taera tensed slightly, then looked back up, smiling widely.  "Thanks for letting me borrow this!" she almost sang, her grin stretching so far it almost looked painful.  She handed the book back. "Weren't we going somewhere?"

She pranced off the way they had been headed, suddenly perky again.  Rystall raised an eyebrow and looked at Alraune.  "Does she really think she's fooling anyone?  I mean, people say I don't notice much, and that didn't seem the least bit convincing to me..." he muttered to the fox.  He frowned thoughtfully.  "...I wonder if she really does have a crush on me... after all this time?"

"You two lovebirds coming?" Taera called over her shoulder.

Alraune shrugged. "It's more likely than what she's insinuating about the two of us, although the two of you are kind of mismatched. What's really surprising is that she doesn't seem that fazed by the book. The first short story made me light-headed, and I'm used to these sort of stories." She paused and sighed. "She must not have read it yet."

Rystall gave her a placid stare.  "Well, I it's not like share the same feelings, anyway." he said in a far too neutral tone to be credible, then added, "But I think you'd be surprised at what she can tolerate, Alraune."

He started off after Taera.

Alraune sped up her walking until she was alongside Taera. "So how did you enjoy the book?"

Taera looked back at the fox, raising an eyebrow.  "I read through most of chapter two, and, heh." she chuckled.  "It makes me wonder just how... lonely?... you are, to want to read that kind of thing."

"Is the rest of the book like that, or just that chapter?" she said with a yawn.  "I'm getting tired... anyway, where was I?"

She leaned close to Alraune, and after a pause, she muttered. "If that's what you're into, whatever, but then I want you to stay away from Rystall..."

"Did you say something?" piped up Rystall, behind them.

"No, not really." she replied.

"Ah.  I see." he said dubiously.

Alraune nodded. "Well, I haven't exactly finished the book yet, but from what I've read, yes, it does take the same tone from start to finish. Apparently there are a lot of morbid Terrans. It's nice to know that you can handle it reasonably well."

She blinked at what Taera had whispered. "Are you saying that I have poor self-control?" she whispered back sharply.

Taera sighed.  "Nothing of the sort.  I just don't want Rystall exposed to that sort of junk." she murmured.  "In fact, it's almost impossible to-"

"When you two are done whispering sweet nothings to each other, perhaps we can get on with this walk, no?" said someone in a loud voice from behind them.

Taera went rigid, turning to Rystall, who was smiling.  Her wide-eyed look caused the grin to falter.  "Did I say it wrong?  I was just trying to..." he began.

"No, no.  I'm just... surprised." she clarified incredulously.  "I didn't know you knew how to make a joke, much less tease someone."

Rystall frowned.  "Well, of course I do!  Why is that so surprising?"

"It's just... you seemed so... serious when I knew you.  More quiet."

"I'm not a nervous cub with a speech impediment anymore, Taera!"

She flinched, more at the volume of his words than the tone.  "Apparently not..." she replied quietly, looking away.

Rystall was mortified at how he had spoken to her.  "I'm sorry... I just..."

"No.  Stop there before you ruin the moment." Taera interrupted, a small smile gracing her muzzle again.  "I'm glad you've grown.  Come on, we were going on a walk, I think?"

She darted a glare at Alraune, daring her to say something snide.

Alraune looked calmly into Taera's eyes, then  turned to Rystall. "Good one. That was even better than what I would have said."

She buried her muzzle into her book again, continuing to read and walk. "You know, I think I was wrong about you two being mismatched."

Taera rolled her eyes.  "Thank you, wise one." she said dryly.  "Now, with your approval, perhaps we can continue with life."

"What was that book about, anyway?" Rystall asked curiously.

"Oh, Haunted?  It's about a ghost that inhabits some house."  Taera lied smoothly.  "Terribly dry book, even with the unusual subject.  I wouldn't recommend it."

"Ah.  I'll keep that in mind." Rystall replied, then added after a pause, "Then why does Alraune like reading it so much?"

"Oh, she probably just doesn't like leaving a book unfinished, and wants to get it over with."

"Yes," Alraune said dully. "That's it exactly." Rystall was so incredibly gullible, but perhaps it was best that he didn't know about the real plot. She didn't want him fainting in the middle of the garden, after all.

"Well, I guess I won't read it then." Rystall decided neutrally.

She's lying to me.  I can tell... I think. he thought

"Well, good choice then." Taera agreed, not noticed his tone.  "Shall we continue, then?"

Alraune nodded. "On another topic, what sort of music do you listen to?"

Taera smiled, glad to be able to stop telling ersatz summaries of books. "Well, I've been browing some of the Terran music lately, and this one group... Beatles, I think... is pretty good" she replied.

"I don't really like listening to music." Rystall muttered, trying to make it inaudible.

"But there's also some singer named Weird A- Excuse me?" she said incredulously, looking at Rystall.  "I thought you liked listening to music?  At least when I knew you..."

"No, no.  Got out of the habit." he said nervously.

Taera raised an eyebrow. "I think you're hiding something..." she accused, but not unkindly.

"Hiding s-something?  Nope, nothing." he insisted.

"Beatles?" Alraune asks. "I think I've heard them. Weren't they really popular back in their day? I like this one band called Coldplay. They have one song that... reminds me of... really speaks to me." She blushes and scratches her head.

"But why would you not like music, Rystall?"

Rystall figeted.  "I just... don't particularly like it." he muttered, not liking Alraune's prying much.

"Well, I'm sure when you're ready to tell the truth, you will." Taera said slyly.  Rystall just sighed irritably.

"What song is that?" Taera asks Alraune, carefully keeping any teasing tone out of her voice.

"'Cold.' It's nice and sad, just how I like my songs."

Taera looked a bit surprised at that statement.  "I always thought of music as something to cheer you up, myself." she explained.  "But... to each her own, I guess."

Alraune nodded. "I like those songs too. Music can prompt a lot of emotions, depending on the song."

She gave Rystall a curious look. "I still find it hard to believe that you don't like music. Surely you've heard a few songs that you liked while you wree doing something else?"

Rystall looked even more uncomfortable.  "Well, that is part of the reason..." he began, but trailed off, shaking his head. 

"Just forget about it." he muttered, but Taera wasn't buying his act. 

"I don't believe this.  You're actually trying to be emotionless?" Taera accused him.  "You can't spend your whole life happily in a bubble of apathy, Rystall.  Everyone gets happy and sad at times.  You need to stop living in a shell!  Life's much more fun when you laugh and cry."

"I thought you were getting better, too..."

Her words hit a mark.  "Oh.  Well..." he started, but went silent, blushing.

"If you don't care about anything," Alraune said in a concerned tone, "you're practically asking for people to walk all over you. If I didn't care about how bad my life was in Vixinte, I never would have moved to Centralis, and I'd be dead instead of attending Mars Academy."

She sighed and looked directly at Rystall. "But if you're oversensitive, you're going through life with a fragile heart, facing an endless series of disappointments. So I suppose that you should care more, Rystall, but only about what you can change."

Rystall looked slighly shocked at Alraune's first words, and barely registered the rest.  "Why would you be dead?" he asked.  "What a terrible thing to say..."

Taera coughed, giving Rystall a firm nudge during the motion.  "Vixinte, Rystall, Vixinte.  What happened in Vixinte?" she muttered.

"Um... some fox lived there?" Rystall tried, nursing the arm she had jabbed.

Taera buried her muzzle in her paws with a sigh.  "Why do all the cute ones have to be thick?" she mumbled woefully.

"I'm missing something important, aren't I?" Rystall wondered aloud, looking embarassed. "I probably just forgot... sorry..."

He appeared genuinelt apologetic about whatever it was he didn't know about, or had forgotten.

Alraune held her hands upin front of her. "Okay. Here's what happened. A few rots back, this massive plague hit the fox lands and every fox in Vixinte died, as well as some others in the country.

"Some view this as a tragedy. Me, I also view it as an opportunity to get our act together. The rest of Cyantia has given us every chance, and if my people screw this up I'll never be proud to call myself a fox again!"

"Oh.  Yes, I do remember something about that." Rystall conceded. "Just not that it happened in Vix-"

He was cut off by a faint beeping behind him, where they had sat at the stream.  He looked back with a frown, and saw that his pack was still there.  He sighed, and trotted over to retrieve it.

"It a good thing my alarm went of now, or I would have forgotten it completely..." he mused when he came back.  He took a datapad out and opened it "though I wonder why it's..."

At this, Rystall's fur did a passable impression of being affected with static.  "Oh!  I have a class in nine minutes!" he yelped, shoving the datapad back.  "And it's across the school! Gottagobyetalktoyoulatersorryforleavingsosuddenly!"

And with that, he was off at top speed the opposide direction, hair streaming behind him, leaving Taera blinking in surprise.  "Bye!" she called after him when she recovered.

"Wow.  I'd... I'd forgotten he could run that fast." she gaped.  "Um.  What were we talking about?"

Alraune sighed, at Rystall and Taera both. "Something about foxes. I doubt you'd be interested." A pause. "You've lived a comfortable life, right? What sort of principles do you live by?"

Taera tore her attention away from the departed Rystall, looking back at Alraune.  "Hmmm?  Comfortable?" he mused, then laughed.  "That depends entirely what you mean by the word."

"If you mean, was I rich, with parents waiting on me day and night, then no, can't say I have. Nor do I want to." he explained, shuddering looking a bit horrified at the thought. "However, if you simply mean I enjoyed myself, then I'd have to agree."

"As for principles?  Whatever works, I guess." she finished cautiously, not entirely usre what Alraune wanted from her in the latter subject.

Alraune nodded. "It's a good thing my brother gives me my space and lets me do some things for myself. Once I moved to Centralis, my life got much, much better.

"As for my principles, I generally try to be self-reliant as often as possible, and I encourage other to do the same. I only help people if they really need it; otherwise they get spoiled and helpless, and that's no way to live."

Taera frowned slightly. "Oh, I'm not so sure about that." she replied. "Catering to another's every need is one thing but is helping someone who really feels they need help, but you don't, also bad?"

Alraune shook her head. "Now, see, that's kind of a gray area. Take red-eyes, for instance. They THINK they need drugs, but what they really need is for addictions to be broken. Sometimes people have no idea what's truly good for them, and someone needs to smack some sense into them."

She continued reading Haunted during the conversation. She had apparently adjusted to the book's content and kept a straight face throughout the process.

Taera raised an eyebrow.  "That was not what I asked, though.  I asked if you would refuse to help someone simply based on the feeling that they did not need it.  There was no part in there about redeyes or other murky social standpoints.  Besides, there are drugs powerful enough to have fatal withdrawal effects.  You would let them die?"

She shifted the subject away from the last question. "But anyway, as a very simple example, say someone asked you for help on a puzzle they could not figure out.  Would you refuse to help them if you thought, perhaps incorrectly, that they could solve it themselves?" she put in.

Alraune looked uncomfortable at the question Taera asked about drugs. She was quite glad to change the subject.

"Well, it's not like I'd leave them alone. I'd probably just try and point them in the right direction, as opposed to just showing them what the solution was. That way they would know how to solve the puzzle themselves without relying on anyone else's help."

Taera smiled.  "Well, I suppose that's more considerate than just telling them to shove off and figure it out themselves..." she agreed.  "but sometimes it can be good to help people solve their problem, I think. After all, it's no fun at all to distance yourself from everybody constantly."

"Where are we headed anyway?" she added without taking a breath or pausing.

"True," she said. "It's also no fun being surrounded by helpless moochers.

"I'm not sure where we're going. Right now we're just following the stream and talking. If you want to leave, feel free."

Taera smiled and shook her head slightly.  "No, I'm enjoying talking with you.  First intelligent conversation I've had today." she confessed.  "Funnily enough, whenever I try to start a conversation, the other person leaves shortly after.  Honestly, it's like they all have no manners."

She frowned.  "The ones that don't leave tend to limit thier vocabulary to "Um", "Erm", and "Uh-huh." she went on.  "It like they're not really listening or something.  Then, sometimes, when I try smiling at them, they run off.  Especially the boys.  Hummph."

"Speaking of which, why are you still talking to me?" she asked abruptly.  "It's highly irregular... not that I mind, of course.  It's nice to talk with someone."

"Now why would that happen?" Alraune replied sarcastically. "It's not like there's anything distracting about y- What?

"Well, I suppose I a lot on my mind and nothing better to do."

Taera blinked.  "Distracting? How s- oh.  Nothing... better to do" she broke off, looking a little sad.  "So... you're not still here because you enjoy speaking with me?"

The last was not really a question.

"Did I say that?" Alraune asked. "You're definitely an interesting person, and to tell you the truth, I think I'm starting to like you. You're spontaneous, you're silly, you're casual, you're... pretty much everything I'm not."

Taera looked surprised at the fox's words. "Oh.  Huh.  That's the first time someone has said that to me as a compliment..." she confessed. "Normally, when people call me silly, they want me to stop being so..."

"And what do you mean you're not any of those things... perhaps not as much as me, but if you were never spontanous in any way, you wouldn't have tried something new, like letting the stream cool your feet, would you?" she pointed out.

"True. Everyone acts out of character once in a while. I can let my guard down, and you can put up a wall, like you did when I criticized Rystall."

She flipped a page and set her book aside for the moment. "Maybe we can learn from each other. My brother always said that balance was the most important character trait a Cyantian could have, so maybe we could balance each other out over time. Or not."

Taera sniffed.  "Well, you were being rather rude, you know.  Not everyone knows how to stand up for themself llike you and I do." she replied, not looking at all apologetic.  "However, you're idea is intriguing..."

"... Provided you don't intend to "teach" me anything involving the contents of that book." she added slyly.  "But then again... that foot massage thing was interesting."

"I know the difference between fiction and reality, thank you," said Alraune indignantly.

"And I'm sorry about what I said earlier," she continued in a softer tone. "Rystall's a nice guy and he didn't deserve that."

She looked at the ground and blushed. "I knew someone at transitional school who was just like him..."

Taera snapped a finger in mock revelation.  "You know, that's funny... I knew someone like that in transition school too!" she began seriously, but wasn't able to keep a straight face for long. 

"Come on now, there's nothing to be embarrased about.  People say stupid things all the time, even me, if you can believe that." she went on with a smile and a wink.

"Really, though.  He may have his faults, but he's a very nice wolf." Taera concluded, then added in a much softer voice.  "And he's cute, too."

Alraune stared at Taera as if she had just broken a minor social taboo. "I wonder who it could be..."

She smiled slightly at the mention of cuteness. "Kijo was the same way, except he was a fox, and his interest was painting, not poetry. He smiled a lot, usually when embarrassed or nervous."

Taera looked positively gleeful at this information.  "Oooh, really?  What's he like?" she blurted eagerly.  "How long have you known him? You still seeing him?"

OOC: Like, ohmygawd!  This has like, totally turned into GirlTalk(tm) :P

Alraune sighed. "No, not anymore. We're just too different, plus he's studying art on Avistary.

"I remember when he first asked me out. I was in the library trying to study when he walked up to me with a flower clenched in his paw. He garbled half his words and fainted before he could hear my answer!" She bent over with laughter at the memory. She wiped her eyes and cut off her chuckling before continuing. "I was having a horrible day and that was just the sort of thing I needed to cheer up. So I decided to pay him back and the next thing you know, we're dating.

"As for what he's like, well, he's a lot like Rystall. He's observant, a good listener, creative, and sensitive. A little too sensitive, actually. Still, he's better than the company he kept at school." She wrinkled her nose at the thought.

Taera's eyes widened.  "Oooh, lucky!  Rystall never worked up the courage for that..." she exclaimed enviously. "but he did buy me some sweetmeats once."

"But goodness knows I gave him enough opportunities." she added, a little frustrated.  "But what kind of company did Kijo keep?"

Alraune rolled her eyes. "The main problems were the wolf twins that he associated with, Iatz and Ivo Montaron. They were the rabble rousers in school, loud and obnoxious, never taking anything seriously. Everything they did was a competition between them: hoverboarding, gravball, even schoolwork. That's probably the only reason they even passed their classes, which is embarrassing considering that their father was one of our professors.

"The other one was Kijo's foster brother, a raccoon named Lacre. I didn't like him at first, but now he seems almost tolerable."

Taera raised an eyebrow.  "...Almost tolerable now?" she teased.  "Does that mean you're seeing him instead?  I thought you were strictly fox-only.  For shame, Alraune."

She appeared to be enjoying this conversation greatly.  "I really hope Rystall asks me out sometime this semester." she said abruptly.  "But I give it at least a year... *sigh*... why does he have to be so shy?"

"Wrong!" Alraune exclaims. "We barely know each other. He's a vain little prettyboy who likes books more than people! At least that's what I thought at first. But he's actually a decent guy once you get to know him."

Taera cast her eyes skyward briefly with a smile.  "Uh huh.  If you say so." she replied sleekly.  "Where is he now, though?"

Alraune shrugged. "Who knows? We lost track of each other after transitional sch-" She paused and blinked, wide-eyed in realization. "He said he always wanted to learn more about Earth. So that means he's probably somewhere at this academy."

Taera smiled. "That's nice... maybe you'll meet him soon." she returned, then yawned.  "Would you like to sit down?"

She pointed over at a clearing bathed in sunlight.  "There's a nice, sunny spot, if you don't mind such things." Taera offered.

Alrauned shook her head. "Maybe later. It's about time for me to work out." She smiles at Taera warmly. "But I did enjoy talking to you. Maybe we can meet up later." She moves away from Taera and towards the edge of the park.

Taera frowned.  "Oh.  Okay.  Well, have fun!" she called after Alraune.  "Don't work too hard!"

She paused. "And no more flirting with Rystall!"

After a few moments of considering, she trotted over to the aftermentioned sunny spot and settled down, closing her eyes to snooze.

OOC: Well, this can either be the end of the thread, or someone else can join in.  Either way, it looks like Taera's on a standby snooze until who knows when. :P
Prenna D'tella/17/Calico/Veterinary Student
Shyssa Wynd/19/Jilaic/Human Studies