Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Author Topic: [Public][S2 W11 D1 15:13]My first... [Library]  (Read 3914 times)

daemonschile

• Administrator
  • The Forum Ate My Soul
    • View Profile
[Public][S2 W11 D1 15:13]My first... [Library]
« on: March 08, 2010, 04:37:04 PM »

Title: [Public][S2 W11 D1 15:13]My first... [Library]
Post by: HEX the Dark on December 15, 2008, 04:05:38 AM
Smith was sitting in the academy's library. On a chair next to him were his coat and his hat. Around him were stakes and piles of books, both in cynatian and English.
Most interesting were the column of books directly in front of him. From top to bottom there were books in English, then in both English and Cyantian, than only in Cyantian and at last in Cyantian and Cyantian letters. Also there was a book in English and Cyantian in Cyantian letters and one in English in Cyantian letters.
The rest were mostly dictionaries and lexicons, both English and Cyantian. Right in front of him were two books (again, one in English and one in Cyantian). They were filled with pictures of animals on one side and a letter on the other. It was titled:
"My first Shivae!"

Title: Re: [Public][S2 W11 D1 15:13]My first... [Library]
Post by: KJ Fellie on December 16, 2008, 10:58:36 PM
(I suppose this would be an excellent place to dive right in with my little budding linguist. ;D And I'm going to assume he's sitting at a regular old table.)

A Rifier strode into the library, her head bobbing slowly to the beat of a song playing on a set of earbuds. She was carrying a small bag and wearing just a green blouse with a light gray floral pattern. She made her way to Smith's table and pulled out a chair, then set it to the side where it wouldn't be in her way, then sat on the floor in front of the table. She set her bag on the table, pulled out a book, and opened it to a marked page before pulling out her earbuds, which were playing music in English.

It was about this time that she noticed the stacks of books around the human and favored him with a polite but sharp-toothed smile. Noticing what languages the books around him were written in, she decided to mess with him, and opted to greet him neither English nor the standard Cyantian, and not even in the less common Khasi of foxes, but instead the language of her people, the Rifiers. "New around here, aren't ya?" This was accompanied by an innocent tilt of her head and quizzical look.

(The song is Roland Orzabal's "Dandelion" (http://www.lyricsmode.com/lyrics/r/roland_orzabal/dandelion.html) (I laughed when I saw the amateur video. ;D She's a good enough dancer, but it made me laugh.))

Post by: HEX the Dark on December 17, 2008, 04:55:24 AM
Smith took a piece of dried meat in his mouth and chewed it. He had ever liked those, but wasn't able to buy them where he had been living. Fortunately, it was no problem to get such stuff on Mars, and while learning, it was just perfect.
As the Rifier - placed herself in front of his table, he just glanced a short look. He had getten used to see things, he didn't know, so his surprise was minimal.

"You could say so..."

He answered her question in English.

Post by: KJ Fellie on December 17, 2008, 05:44:34 AM
Xi Li was baffled. This was definitely not the response she had expected. She tilted her head the other direction with a very puzzled expression, her ears standing out at an odd angle. She responded this time in English. "Wow, you understood me? Practically no one speaks that language. So... Where are you from, and what language are you trying to learn?" She indicated the books arrayed about the area, having assumed that this was indeed his purpose in the library.

Post by: HEX the Dark on December 17, 2008, 05:57:45 AM
Smith grinned. The he slowly moved his right hand under his shirtcollar and produced a silver necklace - the translator he had got by the wolf who had brought him to Mars.

"Universal Translator, set it to "listen only". I'm John Smith, and I'm from Earth."

He let the collar go, then reached his hand out to let Xi Li shake it.

"I just try to get into that wolf language... lucky me, it got some similarities to an old earthen language I once learned."

And if I had knew this would happen, I sure would have learned it much more eager...

(( :P bad style))

Post by: KJ Fellie on December 17, 2008, 06:21:23 AM
Xi Li hit herself on the head with one hand. "Of course!" With a huge grin she shook his hand. "Xi Li Kai, from Cyantzium. I know how you feel, trying to get into a new language. I think I know four, now. I'm a Rifier if you're wondering." She looked at the books with a bit of curiosity. "So, do those books say anything about us? Rifiers, I mean."

(If I remember right, Rifiers had a reputation as unsophisticated or savage, though I'm not sure if that would end up in those books or not. It makes me think of the "Cowboys and Indians" sort of thing. I'll leave it up to you.)

Post by: HEX the Dark on December 17, 2008, 07:56:50 AM
"I haven't looked that up so far. I'm just trying to get known to the letters first."

A closer look at the stack in front of him (that with the bilingual book) revealed something strange: All the books had the same title.

"I read through some texts, and if there was I word I didn't know or couldn't make out, I looked it up. But Rifiers weren't mentioned so far."

He took one of the dictionaries and pushed it towards Xi Li.

"Here, if you want."

Post by: KJ Fellie on December 17, 2008, 10:05:09 AM
Xi Li took the dictionary and shuffled through a few random pages, then looked up Rifiers. She let out a non-committal "Hm." upon finding the article and reading through it. It was dry and boring, but generally accurate. "Well, here's the article. Pretty dull, if you ask me. But I guess that's what we should expect from a dictionary. It kind of seems like it's describing some exotic animal, but it would probably be a lot like that if we were to look up humans, too." She turned the book around and slid it toward Smith, in case he had any desire to read a boring article about a creature that sat directly in front of him. On a whim, Xi Li added, "I kind of wish it had a picture."

With her curiosity sated, the Rifier returned to what she had come to do in the first place. She picked up her own book and resumed reading. After a short period of reading, she pulled a small data plate out of her bag and made a quick note on it. After more reading, the note grew. And after still more reading, the note grew more. When more reading led to the note growing even more, the creature groaned. "English was created just to torture people who are trying to learn it. I'll never remember all these rules."

(A similar article can be found here (http://shivae.org/wiki/index.php?title=Category:Rifier). It could be a good conversation piece, if it brings up questions.)

Post by: HEX the Dark on December 18, 2008, 03:32:13 AM
Taking the dictionary back, Smith replied:

"I prefere studing on the living beeing. And don't worry. There're far more worse languages than English. You don't need all those rules. Most people don't care about them. The worst English is spoken in England."

Post by: KJ Fellie on December 18, 2008, 04:03:07 AM
Xi Li smirked. "And that's another thing, there are so many different types of English. Depending on where someone is from, they speak differently. Someone needs to make a universal language."
Her mind bouncing from one topic to another, she continued speaking on a completely different train of thought. You know, you are right about one thing, that's for sure. You can learn a whole lot by studying something up close and personally than from a book. That goes for languages, too. That's one thing I like about being here, there are so many languages spoken here that I can pick up a bit of all of them."

Post by: HEX the Dark on December 18, 2008, 04:10:55 AM
"I'm just trying to get along. I remember my English improving much after reading English texts because I wanted to read them and not because I had to."

He turns to his books again, taking another bite of the dried meat.

"I once heard: If you want to talk Russian, you have to think Russian. I guess that goes for Cyantian as well."

Post by: KJ Fellie on December 18, 2008, 04:46:58 AM
Xi Li nodded at the statement about reading because he wanted to instead of having to. At the statement about thinking Cyantian, she tilted her head slightly, giving it thought. "Yeah, I guess you're right."
She eyed the dried meat thoughtfully, sniffing slightly at the air. "So... What have you got there?"

Post by: HEX the Dark on December 18, 2008, 04:52:25 AM
"What? Oh, that's soem dried and spiced meat. I like it, and it helps me learning chewing on something."

He passed her the pack.

"Wanna try?"

Post by: KJ Fellie on December 18, 2008, 06:04:15 AM
Xi Li could smell the spices. "Yeah, it smells good. I wonder if I have anything for you." She accepted a piece and then immediately began shuffling through her bag. As she searched, she peered closely into it, and before long she had her face buried in her bag and could be heard sniffing about inside. With a triumphant "Ah-ha!" she emerged from her pack with a small bag of cookies. "Here we go. Skunk cookies. Want some? I should warn you, some of them have a little surprise to them."

Skunk cookies (http://shivae.org/wiki/index.php?title=Skunk_Cookies)... After all, she was raised by foxes. ;D

Post by: HEX the Dark on December 18, 2008, 09:24:15 AM
Making a wary but interested face, Smith took one of the Skunk Cookies between thumb and forefinger.

"I hope they aren't made out of skunks... I've seen some walking around..."

He slowly takes the cookie in his mouth, and bites on it. He chews several times, than swallows hard. He doesn't look that pleased...

"Strawberries... nothing I'd like to dried meat..."

Post by: KJ Fellie on December 18, 2008, 04:38:50 PM
Xi Li frowned. "Oh, right. I don't suppose they would go well with meat." She took a bite of the piece of meat she'd taken and chewed it thoughtfully. "This is good. I prefer mine a bit juicier, but it's still pretty good."

Still gnawing on the piece of meat, Xi Li resumed reading her book. When she came to a place where she needed to make another note, she held the book in place with a front paw and made the note with her free hand.

Post by: HEX the Dark on December 19, 2008, 07:30:16 AM
Smith had turned his head and attantion back to the books and took another slice of meat.

"Juicier? As in...raw?"

Post by: KJ Fellie on December 20, 2008, 01:01:20 AM
Xi Li laughed. "Well, I prefer not to eat it that way. What I meant was more like..." Her ears tilted at an odd angle as she tried to think of the word. "Someone gave me something called 'beef jerky' once. I like it a little like that." Her ears stood up and she added innocently. "Or a great big steak. That's always good." She gave him a big grin.

Post by: HEX the Dark on December 23, 2008, 03:39:48 AM
"Uh yeah steak's nice. Or a cordon bleu. Hmm... fortunately I know where to get these."

He grins slightly, but does not raise his head.

Post by: KJ Fellie on December 23, 2008, 04:10:55 AM
Xi Li smirked. "I'm still learning where a lot of things are. This place is huge." She made another note, then tilted her head in a baffled manner. With a snort, she made an extensive note, double-checked herself, and made another.

Post by: HEX the Dark on December 24, 2008, 08:22:00 AM
"yeah, amazing how much they did in such a short time."

Post by: KJ Fellie on December 24, 2008, 03:17:00 PM
"Oh, I agree." Xi Li nodded. "By the way, if you have a question about something, just ask me. I'll do what I can to help." She smiled politely.

Post by: HEX the Dark on December 25, 2008, 03:30:40 AM
"Thanks. Same to you. But at the moment my tactics work rather well."

He grins and raises the book.

Post by: KJ Fellie on December 25, 2008, 04:22:37 AM
Xi Li smirked. "Yeah, it hadn't occurred to me to read the same book in more than one language. I often found myself reading dictionaries when I was bored, though. I think that helped a lot, too."

She reached for the cookies and took one, biting into it. She made a face at the pungent aroma that was suddenly released. "Ugh, I always get the stink bomb in the batch. I'm not exactly sure why I even make the stink bombs. I guess it's tradition."

Post by: HEX the Dark on December 25, 2008, 04:28:37 AM
"Doesn't help if you don't understand the language..."

As Xi Li bit into the stinkbomb, Smith made a pretty surprised face. But as she starts to explain, he smiles and says:

"Hehe, I know a similar thing on Earth. But we use mustard."

Post by: KJ Fellie on December 25, 2008, 04:39:30 AM
Xi Li made a face. "Oh, that would be horrifying on a cookie."

Post by: HEX the Dark on December 25, 2008, 06:51:18 AM
"It's not on a biscuit. It's in a kind of doughnut."

Post by: KJ Fellie on December 26, 2008, 03:03:37 AM
Having discovered the wonders of a standard Terran doughnut, Xi Li found the idea of the flavors in combination to be quite incompatible. "Wow, did you use them as torture devices, or what?"

Post by: HEX the Dark on December 26, 2008, 04:01:00 AM
"More as an... unpleasant suprise."

Post by: KJ Fellie on December 26, 2008, 07:34:48 AM
Xi Li nodded, understanding the concept well. "I can definitely think of some people I'd use that on."

Post by: HEX the Dark on December 26, 2008, 07:39:59 AM
"It's more randomly. You make a whole bunch of doughnuts, usually filled with jam, and one of the doughnuts you fill with mustard."

Post by: KJ Fellie on December 27, 2008, 07:46:16 AM
Xi Li nodded some more. "So it's sort of the same concept as skunk cookies, only with mustard as the surprise. I'm sure it would get a few laughs, but I'd hate to be the one to find the mustard."

Xi Li made a sudden face at the song playing softly on the earbuds that were dangling at her chest. "Next," she muttered, skipping to the next song on her music player. The music may have been quiet, but her sensitive ears were able to hear it just fine. "So you're from Earth, huh? Any place in particular? Do you have any friends or family back there?"

Post by: HEX the Dark on December 27, 2008, 05:24:43 PM
"Southern Germany. And no, not since a long time."

Smiths voice gets rougher and lower - obviously not a topic he wants to talk about.

Post by: KJ Fellie on December 28, 2008, 07:34:06 AM
"Ah." Xi Li had noted his demeanor, and refrained from speaking on the subject further. She grew somewhat pensive and turned down her music slightly.

Post by: HEX the Dark on December 28, 2008, 03:31:10 PM
"And you?"

Smith manages to say.

Post by: KJ Fellie on December 29, 2008, 04:06:17 AM
Xi Li's music went quiet. "I'm from the Fox territories. My parents lost their lives to disease when I was very young, so some foxes raised me. And then... I don't know if you know our recent history, but..." She looked away with her ears lowered slightly. She continued quietly. "There was a plague... I don't have a family anymore. I managed to make some friends, but it's not the same."

Post by: HEX the Dark on December 29, 2008, 11:08:29 AM
"I've read about that plague and a civil war. My sympathies. Fortunately your history isn't as long as ours."

Post by: KJ Fellie on December 29, 2008, 04:26:11 PM
"For the immigrants, maybe, but I'm one of the natives." With that statement she pointed a thumb proudly at her chest. "My people were there before the others arrived. Although, I guess we didn't keep as extensive a history as the humans."

Post by: HEX the Dark on December 29, 2008, 05:00:34 PM
A slight smile comes to Smith's face.

"Yeah, we're good ad that. Got something like 6000 years of written history..."

Post by: KJ Fellie on December 29, 2008, 05:30:41 PM
"Uh, yeah, we're not so good about writing it down." Xi Li grinned, playing with her hair with one hand.

Post by: HEX the Dark on December 30, 2008, 08:52:32 AM
"And what about things like cave paintings? Or all only oral traditions?"

Post by: KJ Fellie on December 30, 2008, 09:19:46 AM
"Well, as far as I know, there weren't cave paintings, but I did spend my whole life growing up in a whole different culture, a different species, no less. I think it's safe to say that I think more like a fox than a truly free Rifier." Xi Li found herself reaching for another skunk cookie, and upon biting into it, this one produced a delightfully fruity scent. Exhibit A, she thought, smirking at the half-eaten cookie.

Post by: HEX the Dark on January 02, 2009, 01:44:47 PM
"Hm... than maybe I shouldn't use this as a recourse of information."

Smith raises the dictionary in front of him, the one Xi Li had some moments ago.

Post by: KJ Fellie on January 03, 2009, 12:46:39 AM
"Well, I wouldn't say that, necessarily. It can be a useful source of information, I'm sure, but learning from a book hardly compares to learning through immersion. In my opinion, a combination of both would prove to be most beneficial. For example, when I was learning the standard wolf dialect in the fox territories, I learned pretty fast. But when I was in actual wolf lands learning it from the wolves, I learned it learned it so fast that it surprised me. Then when I started learning English, it was like when I was first starting to learn the wolf language from foxes. Now I'm learning all the fine details and rules about grammar, and it kind of makes me want to pull my hair out. I'm sure if I were among the humans on Earth learning it in a place where English was the native language of everyone around me, I'd learn it easily."

She pointed at the dictionary. "That could probably tell you specific details about something that everyone takes for granted, and would probably not even think to mention. Likewise, it may not contain slang phrases or pop culture references that you'd learn from interacting with people around you."

(And there she goes! A genuine Xi Li Kai babbling session. ;D)

Post by: HEX the Dark on January 03, 2009, 07:19:54 AM
Smith smirks as he listens to Xi Li. Than he points at the dictionary:

"You're sure right, but those assume from standarts. Something unique like you is most likely not mentioned there."

Post by: KJ Fellie on January 03, 2009, 07:40:24 AM
"Exactly. It can tell you some things, but not everything." She nodded in a matter-of-fact way and took another bite of her cookie, then somewhat to her chagrin, she found her mouth too full to speak.

Post by: HEX the Dark on January 03, 2009, 10:00:22 AM
"It did surprise me somehow that there were books around, and not only files in a computer."

Post by: KJ Fellie on January 05, 2009, 01:20:30 AM
Xi Li shrugged. "Sometimes it's nice to have a good, old-fashioned book. Though sometimes you can't beat a computer or data pad for convenience." With that statement made, she finished off her cookie and reached for another.

Post by: HEX the Dark on January 05, 2009, 07:22:17 AM
"They may be faster while working with data, but surely not better to store them. They're books - or kind of books - thousands of years old."

Post by: KJ Fellie on January 07, 2009, 09:04:23 AM
"Well, you haven't had computers that long." She smirked, waving her cookie about to emphasize her points. "Maybe thousands of years in the future, someone will be saying that about computers. But really, I don't really know why they have all these books here. I'm not a book expert. I'm more interested in languages. I'm also interested in dancing and other things, of course, but I find that dancing a two-leg dance is tough with four legs. I've tried researching to see if there are any Rifier dances recorded in here, but haven't had any luck. Maybe someday I'll find something."

With her train of thought once again leaving the tracks to go meandering about the countryside, she followed this up by continuing her off-topic rambling. "Maybe I'll find some Terran dances I can do, but I haven't had much luck there, either. I am hoping I'll find something like a waltz that I can do without too much trouble, and maybe I'll find something Latin. I like the music real well, so maybe I'll be able to figure something out."

Post by: HEX the Dark on January 07, 2009, 09:12:41 AM
"Because it's nicer to read in a book than on a screen..."

Smith added. As Xi Li brings the topic of dancing he says.

"Well, a waltz shouldn't be so hard for you, 'cause you don't have to turn around that much."

He smirks.

"Maybe something like dressage riding?"

Post by: KJ Fellie on January 07, 2009, 10:02:00 AM
"Dressage riding?" Xi Li repeated, curious. "I'm not familiar with the concept. But waltzes and lots of other types of dances have shown a lot of promise, right up until it comes to a spin of some sort. But I suppose I could always just spin my partner, though I'm kind of short."

"So what is dressage riding?" As she asked the question, the cookie found its way to her mouth and she took a bite, the scent of raspberry drifting into the air from it afterward.

Post by: HEX the Dark on January 20, 2009, 03:46:28 AM
"It's like..."

Uh, how to make this sound nice?

"It's like dancing for horses."

Post by: KJ Fellie on January 20, 2009, 04:09:52 AM
Xi Li nodded and swallowed. "Oh, I'll have to look it up. I think I'm starting to figure a few things out with some styles, but there's always something that trips me up with it. Like I said, when they try to spin me, it doesn't work out well, and dips are kind of awkward, too."

"So, do you like horses? I mean, like back on Earth, did you work with horses or anything?" She put the rest of the cookie in her mouth.

Post by: HEX the Dark on January 20, 2009, 04:18:13 AM
"You could alwas rear yourself up and turn around. And yes, I did. I was a balcksmith some years ago."

Post by: KJ Fellie on January 20, 2009, 05:20:46 AM
"I suppose, but when I rear up I'm close to ten feet tall." She shrugged. "So, you were a blacksmith? How did you like that?"

Post by: HEX the Dark on January 20, 2009, 07:19:35 AM
"It was hard, good work. But not very well paid. I couldn't get a job and had no money to open a forge myself. Did a nice journey instead."

Post by: KJ Fellie on January 20, 2009, 07:38:38 AM
"A journey? You traveled?" She decided to close up her book and put it all away in her bag. This seemed like it could be more interesting than her dry, boring homework.

Post by: HEX the Dark on January 20, 2009, 08:56:31 AM
"Yeah, I did a working journey through Ireland. Thought, where farmers are, there're horses too! But I was wrong. I was more expensive to travel then I got for my work."

Post by: KJ Fellie on January 20, 2009, 09:00:28 AM
"Well that's too bad. I hear there are lots of ranches with lost of horses in parts of America, north and south. Maybe you would have had better luck there instead. Did you end up coming here after that?"

Post by: HEX the Dark on January 20, 2009, 10:26:14 AM
"No, that took some more time. And I wasn't interessted in America that time."

Post by: KJ Fellie on January 20, 2009, 10:49:38 AM
Xi Li nodded. "Okay, so what did you do after that? Were you interested in some other place or anything?"

Post by: HEX the Dark on January 20, 2009, 10:58:21 AM
" I started to study. Was hard to get the money, though."

Post by: KJ Fellie on January 20, 2009, 11:49:11 AM
Xi Li nodded. "I knew people who were low on money. I didn't really have that problem, though. I do kind of want to get a job, though. I'm not sure what I'd be good at, though. It's just something I want to for extra money while I'm taking classes."

Post by: HEX the Dark on January 20, 2009, 02:24:11 PM
"Yeah that times are over..."
But work is much more then getting money. It's something you identify with.

Smith thought but didn't say

Post by: KJ Fellie on January 20, 2009, 02:32:19 PM
Xi Li sighed and solemnly picked up a cookie, then just looked at it. "Money isn't good enough, though. I miss my family."

Post by: HEX the Dark on January 20, 2009, 02:47:00 PM
Smith lowered his head and said silently:

"Yes. I do, too."

Post by: KJ Fellie on January 20, 2009, 02:52:26 PM
Xi Li put her cookie back in its bag and put that back into her bag. "I'm sorry, I don't mean to get all gloomy on you. It's just... I was reminded of their loss, and that made me feel a bit... down and all.... I... Maybe I should go. Sorry if I distracted you or anything." She rose to all fours and hesitated, not sure if she really should go.

Post by: HEX the Dark on January 20, 2009, 02:59:55 PM
"No!" Smith said, much more intensely then he had intended, "no, please. You don't have to go. You're not distracting at all."

((Liar...oh what a terrible liar...))

Post by: KJ Fellie on January 20, 2009, 03:03:41 PM
Startled slightly, Xi Li blinked. She sat promptly. "Oh, okay. I'm glad I'm not bothering you." She gave a slight smile, though it held little enthusiasm. "I suppose it is nice having company." Her smile grew slightly.

Post by: HEX the Dark on January 20, 2009, 03:06:01 PM
"Yes, sometimes it is, indeed."
Smith smiled back.

Post by: KJ Fellie on January 20, 2009, 08:00:57 PM
Xi Li sat, awkwardly silent for a moment. "So..." She paused, unsure of what to say. "Should I keep my hair long, or should I cut it a bit?" She flipped her long hair over her shoulder to display its length. "I like it how it is, but I thought it might look really good if it were about shoulder length."
Squid, how lame am I? Talking about my hair... Sheesh.

Post by: HEX the Dark on January 21, 2009, 05:10:26 AM
It was cearly visale, that Smith was grateful for the change of topics. He looked a little askand at hher, as he would imagine short hairs on her, than he said:

"Well... I like long hair more. Had it like that when I was a teenager... but shrt hair is much practical."

Post by: KJ Fellie on January 22, 2009, 07:46:49 AM
Xi Li nodded thoughtfully. "I suppose I'd have to be really sure I wanted short hair, because it does take quite a while to grow back." And so began a great deal of musing on the subject of haircuts. Xi Li's expression grew thoughtfully serious, her ears stuck out to the sides, and she focused her eyes on nothing in particular with her hand on her chin.

Post by: HEX the Dark on January 22, 2009, 08:07:17 AM
"You're semi-aquatic, right? Then maybe shorter hair is better, 'cause it doesn't take that long to dry, right?"

Post by: KJ Fellie on January 22, 2009, 10:28:26 AM
Xi Li blinked. "Yeah, I am. Most people don't think about that. And you do have a point, short hair is a bit easier to manage than long hair when it's wet. I may end up going for it in the end." She fidgeted with her long hair. "I would miss it though, I think. But I'm sure I could get used to it."

Post by: HEX the Dark on January 22, 2009, 02:27:48 PM
"Yeah, you see, I didn't miss my long hair that much. Got it for three or more years that time. Although, I have to admit, you could so some nice hairstyles. Got cornrows severals time. Looked pretty neat."

Post by: KJ Fellie on January 23, 2009, 06:18:52 AM
Xi Li grinned. "I may have to cut my hair after all. I have to admit I've wanted to see what it was like to have shorter hair than I've had. Mine's been long for a very long time."

(I think she'd look really cute with short hair. ;D)

Post by: HEX the Dark on January 23, 2009, 03:48:40 PM
"Giving away something you got for a long time never is easy, but sometimes it's time for a change."

Smith said remarkably nonessential.

(I hope this is understood as it is intended)

Post by: KJ Fellie on January 26, 2009, 04:42:50 PM
Xi Li nodded confidently. "Yeah, change can be good," she declared. "I think I'll give it a go." She paused. "Was it like that for you when you came here? I mean, was it time for a change?"

(Methinks I see a haircut thread coming up before too long... Or maybe she'll be like me and forget that she was going to do something like that. ;D)

Post by: HEX the Dark on January 27, 2009, 05:15:31 PM
"it was... one of the reasons."

Smith said. And maybe the best decision he ever made.

Post by: KJ Fellie on January 28, 2009, 10:59:47 AM
"I imagine that furry aliens would be another one of the reasons." She gave a sharp-toothed grin.

Post by: HEX the Dark on January 28, 2009, 11:23:56 AM
Smith produced a lopsided grin on his face:

"Indeed, they were."

Post by: KJ Fellie on January 28, 2009, 11:52:32 AM
"What was it like, meeting aliens from another world? I haven't had the same sort of experience." Xi Li tilted her head slightly.

Post by: HEX the Dark on January 28, 2009, 11:58:13 AM
"So? I'm I not an alien from another planet for you?"

Post by: KJ Fellie on January 28, 2009, 12:03:12 PM
"Sort of, but it's not the same. We have humans here, and Cyantzium as well. On Earth, you don't exactly buy bread from a talking cat or ask the mouse next door which cheese to put on it." She grinned.

Post by: HEX the Dark on January 28, 2009, 12:36:37 PM
"No, at least at this time. Maybe that'll change in the future."

He remembered the letters he had received shortly before his departure on earth.

"It was - surprising. Disturbing? Definitely uncommon."

Post by: KJ Fellie on January 28, 2009, 12:42:57 PM
"So... You seem to think that some day we'll be on Earth, like we are here on Mars, living together, huh?" Xi Li gave a pleasant smile that bared little more than just the tips of her fangs. "I hope so, too. I'm hoping to one day be someone who helps with the interactions of our cultures, which is part of the reason I'm studying languages so thoroughly." She looked toward her bag, where she'd put the book she was supposed to be studying, then grinned guiltily and gave a self-conscious laugh. "Hee..."

Post by: HEX the Dark on January 28, 2009, 01:16:42 PM
"Isn't that the purpose of this academy? To be once a bridge between cyantia and earth?"

Post by: KJ Fellie on January 29, 2009, 10:30:13 AM
"I do believe it is. I just hope that we're able to build that bridge within a reasonable amount of time. And I definitely hope we don't end up getting off on the wrong foot. There's certainly nothing to be gained by our worlds fighting each other." Xi Li thoughtfully inspected a front paw.

Post by: HEX the Dark on January 30, 2009, 05:02:27 PM
"Not for us, that's for sure. Although I think I should consider this,"

He spreads his arms

"as "us" now."

Post by: KJ Fellie on February 03, 2009, 11:23:44 PM
Xi Li tilted her head and smiled in a pleased manner. "It's nice to see that you've accepted this as part of your world so quickly. There are lots of people who take a long time to consider this their home. Of course, not all of them come here under the best of circumstances. Fortunately I came here under fairly favorable ones, and it sounds like you're rather pleased with your move here."

Post by: HEX the Dark on February 05, 2009, 04:07:33 AM
"What choice do I have? Besides, life isn't that hard here."

And better than down on earth, I have to admit.

"What do you mean, "not under the best circumstances"? This is an academy. Are you forced to study here?"

Post by: KJ Fellie on February 05, 2009, 04:33:58 AM
Xi Li grinned. "No, I mean that some people have to come here due to circumstances on Earth, or whatever. Some people have to come here because the Alien and Metaphysical Investigation Bureau wants them a bit too badly. Some of them have actually been rescued from them, from what I hear. But I don't really know much more than rumors about that."

Post by: HEX the Dark on February 05, 2009, 04:40:03 AM
"Well, I only an speek for myself, but despite knocking way to early at my door, they were not that bad."

He rembered his meeting with the MIB (without the A), which was rather normal.

Post by: KJ Fellie on February 05, 2009, 04:53:32 AM
"I suppose that's good. I've just heard that they like to do unpleasant things to people who aren't perfectly cooperative, or if they think they aren't being as cooperative as they could be. Maybe it all depends on the agents doing the investigating." She shrugged.

(all this talk of the MIB makes me want to get Carrie started, but if I do that, I worry there'll be nobody left to vote on all the other new characters showing up. ;D)

Post by: HEX the Dark on February 08, 2009, 04:06:13 AM
"Well, I guess they have their good and bad days as everyone - maybe more of the later."

He shrugged.

Post by: KJ Fellie on February 09, 2009, 07:56:02 AM
Xi Li considered it. "Well, it certainly doesn't seem to me like it would be a very easy job."

Post by: HEX the Dark on February 09, 2009, 08:00:58 AM
"Join the MIB the said, meet interesting people they said, see alien creatures they said, shoot them they said..."

Smith imitated with a dull and annoyed voice.

Post by: KJ Fellie on February 09, 2009, 08:14:14 AM
Xi Li laughed. "I suppose that's one way to put it." She pulled out another cookie and munched on it thoughtfully, wondering what it was like to be and AMIB agent. She then smirked at the idea of herself as one.
Prenna D'tella/17/Calico/Veterinary Student
Shyssa Wynd/19/Jilaic/Human Studies